Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Per Associated Press (and been picked up all over...)

The winner is Nevada.

But in reality, this is great news for Tesla enthusiasts. As had been discussed in the past, this battery gigafactory is critical for the launch of the Model III (or is it the Model ≡)

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Is this the site that had groud broken, but was stopped when news came out?

·
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is this the site that had groud broken, but was stopped when news came out?
Unsure, but it would make sense. I-80 from Reno to Fremont is a major artery for Interstate commerce if they decide to use trucks, and I believe has a lot of rail as well.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Seems like they are behind schedule doesn't it? I thought the decision on the location should have been unveiled a couple of months ago?

·
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seems like they are behind schedule doesn't it? I thought the decision on the location should have been unveiled a couple of months ago?
It's tech... Deadlines are amorphous...

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Let's hope they make some real progress now that the site has been unveiled.

I really hope the whole Model III project is a massive success. It will ultimately make all automotive manufacturers stand up and realise that EVs are a major part of future transportation (if they don't already realise already I.e Nissan / VW / BMW).

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Of course not forgetting the manufacturer with the largest range of electric vehicles ????? (It's french if you need a clue)

Let's hope they make some real progress now that the site has been unveiled.

I really hope the whole Model III project is a massive success. It will ultimately make all automotive manufacturers stand up and realise that EVs are a major part of future transportation (if they don't already realise already I.e Nissan / VW / BMW).

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
Of course not forgetting the manufacturer with the largest range of electric vehicles ????? (It's french if you need a clue)
I think that honour would actually go to Zero Motorcycles (four) if you're counting vehicles which are not cars/vans. If you only want to count cars/vans then I think Nissan is tied with Renault (env200&leaf vs kangoo&zoe) but also tied with Mercedes (smart ED and b class ED) and also bmw (i3 and i8) and also vw (eup and egolf)!

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Define vehicle, at a guess Bombardier or similar probably win. Trains and trams have been electric for quite a while ;)

Pushing the definition Linde might win with forklift trucks :)

With respect Mercedes they also have the Electric Sls! So they have 3!

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Lol. Very good but what about twizzy fluence and twingo. No ambiguaty there surely ??
but bmw I8 has an ice, no ?

Define vehicle, at a guess Bombardier or similar probably win. Trains and trams have been electric for quite a while ;)

Pushing the definition Linde might win with forklift trucks :)

With respect Mercedes they also have the Electric Sls! So they have 3!

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Check this list and add them up. ;) https://speakev.com/threads/a-complete-list-of-evs.2813/

As for the Model 3, it may still prove a bit much for many but I hope it will prove a big change.

However, I think in the UK it would be against things like the BMW 3 series. A large portion of their sales I believe are still company car sales so BIK could really help here in a BIG way. But the BIK rates are not looking so good in the future, so maybe it wont do so well after all.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
According to the definitive list Renault wins with 4 if talking ev or ties with Ford if you include ice cars as well, :)

Check this list and add them up. ;) https://speakev.com/threads/a-complete-list-of-evs.2813/

As for the Model 3, it may still prove a bit much for many but I hope it will prove a big change.

However, I think in the UK it would be against things like the BMW 3 series. A large portion of their sales I believe are still company car sales so BIK could really help here in a BIG way. But the BIK rates are not looking so good in the future, so maybe it wont do so well after all.

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
Can you buy a twingo? I thought the Fluence had been discontinued...?

·
Registered
2,623 Posts

BEVs will continue to need incentives like the zero-rate BIK if they are to compete with PHEVs, which I expect to be fully mainstream by the time Model 3 hits the UK.

PHEVs will be a large threat to the 3, because a good PHEV offers all the benefits of a BEV without the penalties i.e. range, high cost. They can also "game" the official emissions test at least as it stands today. Just look at the CO2 A3 eTron (37 g/km) vs a regular A3 with the same engine (109 g/km).

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Awesome ! Looks even bigger if you compare it to the size of the wind turbines in the background. ;)
Ps. We've a big empty airfield at manston kent going cheap for your uk site Elon.....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts