Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was picking my Model 3 up this Thursday 4.3.21 from Trafford Park, Manchester.
I told Tesla that I was arranging a Bank transfer today, which I did.
When I got home I had a phone call from Tesla, followed by this e-mail:-

"Mr Lewis,
Further to our call earlier, our trade in valuations team noted a valuation error for your trade in vehicle. The correct trade in price for your Hyundai Kona is £26,100, we understand this represents a significant drop from the price expected and wanted to give you the opportunity to decide how you wished to proceed.

You may continue with the purchase of your Model 3 on the basis of the corrected trade in figure, in which case an additional payment of £7,400 will be required. We can reschedule your collection to allow time for this additional payment to be made if necessary.

If you would now rather dispose of your existing car elsewhere, we can remove the trade in from your purchase and continue as a full cash purchase, with an additional payment of £33,600 or explore some finance options. Again, we can postpone collection if necessary.

We would like to once again apologise for the situation and the notice period of which you were informed. We also understand that you may no longer wish to continue with your order, and if this is the case, we will arrange the return of the funds already paid back to you.

Please advise how you would like to proceed with your order, and we will make the necessary arrangements.

Kind Regards,
Will"
I have already changed my insurance, and bought various items for the car, and Tesla wait untilI I've pay before hitting me with this!
I am cancelling the car, and feel really angry and disappointed just now!
Does anyone have Elon Musk's e-mail contact details??

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,886 Posts
I was picking my Model 3 up this Thursday 4.3.21 from Trafford Park, Manchester.
I told Tesla that I was arranging a Bank transfer today, which I did.
When I got home I had a phone call from Tesla, followed by this e-mail:-

I have already changed my insurance, and bought various items for the car, and Tesla wait untilI I've pay before hitting me with this!
I am cancelling the car, and feel really angry and disappointed just now!
Does anyone have Elon Musk's e-mail contact details??
That sucks!

Elon’s a Twitter man isn’t he?

Mind you, what are you expecting him to do?

·
Registered
666 Posts
That's a pretty awful situation.

Not that it helps but did the trade in value seem reasonable? £7,400 is quite a lot to be out.

I'd be really upset and try my best to come to a resolution, like a few thousand off your new car.

However, Tesla have all the power here, legally they have done nothing wrong.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a pretty awful situation.

Not that it helps but did the trade in value seem reasonable? £7,400 is quite a lot to be out.

I'd be really upset and try my best to come to a resolution, like a few thousand off your new car.

However, Tesla have all the power here, legally they have done nothing wrong.
What really annoyed me was that they waited until I sent the money, and made all my arrangements.
If they had come back to me in good time it would not have been so annoying!!:mad:.
The valuation was good, as is my Kona with less than 500 miles on the clock.
It is not my place to suggest to them that their evaluation was better than I expected.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I afraid I am not surprised by their attitude and the way they treated you. Some time ago, I considered buying the Model 3 performance, it was in excess of £53k at the time, I asked for a trade in value for my car, i was pretty disappointed with the amount they offered and the attitude, they offered me over £19k UNDER what all the other dealers and WBAC were offering at the time for a high performance low mileage motor, needless to say I did not take them up on their offer, I went elsewhere and got the trade in values that I was quoted before.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I afraid I am not surprised by their attitude and the way they treated you. Some time ago, I considered buying the Model 3 performance, it was in excess of £53k at the time, I asked for a trade in value for my car, i was pretty disappointed with the amount they offered and the attitude, they offered me over £19k UNDER what all the other dealers and WBAC were offering at the time for a high performance low mileage motor, needless to say I did not take them up on their offer, I went elsewhere and got the trade in values that I was quoted before.
I told them about the items I had bought for my Tesla to come, and they told me to box them all up (no boxes now) and send them back to Tesla!
Then I will get a refund!!
I thought, in the circumstances, that they might just credit me???:cool:
They make it easy to dislike them!!

·
Registered
Blue Etron 2019, 2014 Nissan Leaf
184 Posts
Tesla doesn't have to care.

Reactions: henryv

·
Registered
95 Posts
The 'covid blues'.
I had a Model S a few years ago but it was too big for my retired lifestyle.:oops:
I am not heart broken that that I will keep my Kona!!:love:
feel for you too do that at such a late stage i did have a simaler happern too me but not so late and i had a offer from wbac so just took that and carried on,the others are right though they dont really care,
and looks like they cant add up either as 26100 and 7400 is 33500 not 33600 they asked for,

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,098 Posts
Might be worth getting legal advice to see whether Tesla would have to suck up the mistake if you already had paid the balance requested before the email demanding the extra arrived. You had a specific deal and went ahead on that assumption. To suddenly change the valuation by £7k is rather off. If it was actually wrong then it should have been noticed earlier.

I think this is one for a consumer law expert.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Have you tried various dealers and garages around you for a straight purchase of your Kona? If other can get closer to your £33,500 original valuation then you can go ahead with the order as planned.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
21,596 Posts
Or just tell Tesla to hold onto the car for a few weeks until you can sell it privately?

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Have you tried various dealers and garages around you for a straight purchase of your Kona? If other can get closer to your £33,500 original valuation then you can go ahead with the order as planned.
I could not deal with Tesla again no matter what deal I get.
Their arrogance is not what I like to be around.

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
Might be worth getting legal advice to see whether Tesla would have to suck up the mistake if you already had paid the balance requested before the email demanding the extra arrived. You had a specific deal and went ahead on that assumption. To suddenly change the valuation by £7k is rather off. If it was actually wrong then it should have been noticed earlier.

I think this is one for a consumer law expert.
Not a consumer law expert, but it's definitely worth a close read of the contract. My part ex valuation was agreed when the contract of sale for the new car was signed, which included a little depreciation based on lead time and my estimated mileage. The car was delayed by many months because of factory closures, and the dealer just took the hit. The only get out clauses were that I could back out of the part ex at any time (but interestingly they couldn't), and the agreed price was subject to the car being in the same condition as when they valued it (+ mileage estimate). The massive difference between the OP's case and my case is that my car wasn't worth anywhere near as much and was destined for auction rather than forecourt, so the dealer probably only lost a few hundred quid, which for the sake of a painless sale and a happy customer was probably worth it for them.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I must have missed that bit.

They screwed up, apologised and provided you the options.

Which part of their letter to you was arrogant?
I am talking about the phone call before the e-mail.
They showed no interest in the problems they caused me and were not prepared to offer anything.
It was take it or leave it.
They did not care whether I cancelled or not.
Being in sales most of my life I could not understand their inflexible. attitude, when it was their fault.
You had to be there.
Their 'letter' offered me nothing.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts