Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 2 LR, Seat Mii
429 Posts
Charging stations need to be on the highways not at the back of random hotel carparks. Why can;t they find a site on a main road?
If they really wanted to splash out, they could try for a full MSA at the A41/M25 junction which isn't far away.
Getting the land could be problematic in an area like that.

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,493 Posts
BP have been doing charging at the back of hotels for years.

If you don't want a listed building developed don't let it be used as a hotel in the first place. Hotels need parking and they're going to need charging in the future.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
779 Posts
I think there scope for installing charging infrastructure in places like this sensitively. Disguise the transformers in a (fake) barn. Don't have enormous, shiny bright red and white charging stalls. Use tree cover etc. You can have the best of both worlds.

Can't do anything about the increased traffic and noise for the neighbours though.

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,493 Posts
As far as design goes the tesla chargers are far more elegant than other rapids. Everyone else has gone for massive lump of metal with a screen on. Tesla ones have a huge hole in the middle so you can see right through them.

Short of making them in stone with a gothic arch at the top I'm not sure how you could make them more in keeping :)

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
779 Posts
Of course you could. Illuminated red & white is garish in an environment that is tree and stone.

It won't match the brand if they have to disguise them in more muted colours, but if they will do it if they have to. I remember when McDonalds opened in Hampstead after a 12 year battle with the planning authorities. They agreed to a muted colour scheme, instead of red & yellow.

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,493 Posts
Hotels also rely on visitors for meals, coffees etc. Both types are needed. I've stopped at a hotel for 30 minutes for a hot drink while the car was charging. They usually have a lounge area for that exact purpose.

If you get folk through the door for one thing it's more likely they will choose it again or someone they know might then use it. Word of mouth advertising still works.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Hotels also rely on visitors for meals, coffees etc. Both types are needed. I've stopped at a hotel for 30 minutes for a hot drink while the car was charging. They usually have a lounge area for that exact purpose.

If you get folk through the door for one thing it's more likely they will choose it again or someone they know might then use it. Word of mouth advertising still works.
Did you go there because you wanted to charge, and got a bonus drink, or because you wanted a drink and got a bonus charge though?

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,493 Posts
Did you go there because you wanted to charge, and got a bonus drink, or because you wanted a drink and got a bonus charge though?
Both. We needed to charge and they had a source of hot drinks and clean loos and somewhere nice to sit about that wasn't in the car. It's better to find somewhere that allows both. MSAs are usually grizzly places in comparison so a hotel charging stop is a lot nicer. It's just a shame they're usually single chargers rather than several.

There are plans for Tatton Park estate to have significant charging facilities. The owners of Tebay services are involved. I think it's an essential future for a lot of big old listed houses as they're often in more rural areas and therefore folk can stop for a charge and to use the cafe that probably wouldn't have done so before.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
22,741 Posts
Of course you could. Illuminated red & white is garish in an environment that is tree and stone.

It won't match the brand if they have to disguise them in more muted colours, but if they will do it if they have to. I remember when McDonalds opened in Hampstead after a 12 year battle with the planning authorities. They agreed to a muted colour scheme, instead of red & yellow.

You need to be able to spot chargers.

Hence red and garish.

Like post boxes. Which get called ‘iconic’. :)

·
Registered
4,989 Posts

According to Google Maps, MacDonalds Hampstead is "permanently closed" and can't be found on Streetview. Presumably they gave up battling the council and moved on.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
779 Posts
It was there for 20 years. I guess it closed for commercial reasons.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Who stops at a hotel for 15-30 mins? Regardless of aesthetics these are the wrong chargers for this location. I'd suggest 50 destination chargers would a far better use of the available power.
Me. I have a Tesla and would far prefer to use a posh hotel’s facilities for 30 mins rather than a crappy motorway service station. The best sites are the Van Der Valk hotels in the Netherlands. I compare it to an airport, a motorway service station is where the general public go and the posh hotel is the business lounge.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
22,741 Posts
Me. I have a Tesla and would far prefer to use a posh hotel’s facilities for 30 mins rather than a crappy motorway service station. The best sites are the Van Der Valk hotels in the Netherlands. I compare it to an airport, a motorway service station is where the general public go and the posh hotel is the business lounge.
Sorry, I have to disagree.

The best Supercharger is near Girona, Spain at the Hotel Camiral.

Swimming pool, spa, ice cream.

All you could want from a Supercharger.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My word!
DJ & tuxedo on - need to charge the car. :)

·
Registered
2020 Zoe ZE50 135 GT Line
644 Posts
And yet councils will quite happily build thousands more houses on green belt land. They sound like a bunch of jobsworths! 🙄

1 - 20 of 28 Posts