Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've owned my LR since last Dec and it's done 3k miles.

I normally charge to 90% but occasionally extend to a full 100% as I've done today.

The thing is Tesla state the WLTP range for the LR is 360 miles but every time I full charge it comes out at 323 miles?

How does that work. Its never got to 360 even brand new nor anywhere near it?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
The Tesla range in the car is not WLTP, it's EPA. For some reason Tesla chose not to change the arithmetic for European cars and left the range display set to the EPA data.

·
Registered
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
872 Posts
Maybe if you replicate the exact test conditions of WLTP you’ll get the same range. Same issue applies to any other car.

·
Registered
190 Posts
You will probably never achieve that range. Reset your expectation to 75% of what it says and you will be rarely disappointed.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Also the EV range will be worse over winter (colder conditions since you have had the car) and the estimated range is based on present & recent conditions and your driving. Hopefully the range will increase a bit when it becomes a bit warmer.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
As above, the indicated range will NEVER match the WLTP figure, simply because the Tesla range display uses the EPA max range figure, not the very optimistic WLTP figure. It doesn't matter what the temperature is, the Tesla display always just displays the EPA number. There is no temperature or driving style compensation on the basic range display at all, it always just reflects the EPA number, modified by the estimated SoC. If you want a more accurate range display then you have to set a route in the nav system and look at the other display on the main screen, not the default EPA display.

·
Registered
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
872 Posts
You would think that people would do some research before spending a small fortune on a car.
The lack of research generally when people make big purchases surprises me. Particularly now we have Google, YouTube etc. Maybe that’s just because I’m a bit of an excitable geek. Tesla purchasers no different to Leaf or Audi or whatever.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,888 Posts
This is one of the reasons I went for the long range over the SR+, I didn't want range anxiety on my 5 1/2 mile commute to work!!
Some of use are just too lazy to want to plug in more than once a week. ;)

·
Registered
608 Posts
Bet you could get 360 miles if you drove very carefully in good conditions.

Also, it seems 0% is not the bottom so if you get 350 to 0% you can bet there's 10 miles minimum you could still get with reasonably careful driving.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq Electric Premium SE 2018 Black
127 Posts
Carwow on YouTube did a range test and the Model 3 kept going and going after reaching 0%, but risky as no indicator when it will suddenly stop.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Carwow on YouTube did a range test and the Model 3 kept going and going after reaching 0%, but risky as no indicator when it will suddenly stop.
Those Carwow tests aren't the best. They are going to get a much higher range crawling around a charge point for an hour than at 70 on the motorway. They add them together as if that's a realistic range.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq Electric Premium SE 2018 Black
127 Posts
Those Carwow tests aren't the best. They are going to get a much higher range crawling around a charge point for an hour than at 70 on the motorway. They add them together as if that's a realistic range.
Maybe so, but it's also unrealistic for anyone to be doing 70mph when they reach 0%, would be taking it easy looking for a charger at that point, and if it doesn't work you can travel quite some distance to try another.

·
Registered
Tesla M3 SR+ In a whiter shade of pale
320 Posts
Have you come around to trying the self-driving feature that doesn't self-drive yet?
You would think that people would do some research before spending a small fortune on a car.
People do research...I also did (a lot of) research before buying a car and decided:-
I personally would not use FSD as it is at the moment even if it was free, I certainly would not be prepared to pay what Tesla ask for it.
Its not “fit for use” in UK as it stands now IMHO

However, it didn’t cost me a “small fortune” as I haven’t taken up the option of buying it, to be precise it cost me the grand sum of zero. Sorry! In my case you are wrong again.

Residuals indicate what the market thinks about the value of Tesla cars.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
The lack of research generally when people make big purchases surprises me. Particularly now we have Google, YouTube etc. Maybe that’s just because I’m a bit of an excitable geek. Tesla purchasers no different to Leaf or Audi or whatever.
Part of the problem is there are still plenty of people that talk up FSD at every opportunity and if you'd seen some of the videos of the limited FSD beta in the US you might be forgiven for thinking its better than it is.

Carwow has become dreadful. The range comparison tests are kind of ok but as a service to potential buyers its downright dangerous. Tesla have no bottom buffer, zero drifts up as the BMS loses calibration as it errs on the side of caution. Have a car thats better calibrated and zero will be nearer zero, all the carwow videos do is set a false expectation that you can driver 15 miles once it reaches 0 which you can not rely on.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
People do research...I also did (a lot of) research before buying a car and decided:-
I personally would not use FSD as it is at the moment even if it was free, I certainly would not be prepared to pay what Tesla ask for it.
Its not “fit for use” in UK as it stands now IMHO

However, it didn’t cost me a “small fortune” as I haven’t taken up the option of buying it, to be precise it cost me the grand sum of zero. Sorry! In my case you are wrong again.

Residuals indicate what the market thinks about the value of Tesla cars.
I did a lot of research too, before deciding to buy a Model 3 LR. I had wanted a Tesla for a couple of years, though, so already had a subconscious bias to wanting to buy one, and I am certain that contributed to my decision process. I dithered about it for ages, and actually convinced myself to place an pre-order for a VW ID.3, and had the ID.3 not been as nice as I was expecting when it was unveiled at Frankfurt may well have converted that pre-order and deposit into a real order.

The ID.3 unveiling pretty much coincided with the removal of the "luxury car tax" and that turned out to be the trigger than made me look again at getting a Tesla. With hindsight the SR+ would have been fine for our needs, but I convinced myself that I needed the extra range of the LR, and that the AWD might be useful in terms of improving the handling (I'm not convinced it makes any real difference now).

The key point was really that I definitely let my heart rule when it came to making the decision, and I really should have waited for a time as then I would have heard about some of the pretty grim build quality issues that impacted the cars delivered in that first few months of UK deliveries.

I did learn from that, though, and when I was looking to replace the Tesla I ruled out any model of car that had not been on sale in the UK for at least a year, just so that I had a better chance of getting a more honest view of the real world experiences of owners. Another thing I have learned is that car reviews are pretty dire and rarely very representative of the true nature of the cars being reviewed, especially all the reviews on YouTube. There seems to be an unholy rush by YouTube "influencers" to get an early review of any new model and frankly these quick looks just do not really give any useful information. There are snippets of stuff that can be a helpful to a degree, like the extended range testing that TeslaBjorn does, but some of the mainstream reviewers don't reveal any more than you could get from a look around the car in a showroom. The extent to which obvious problems and quality issues are glossed over by many reviewers is just astounding, but then I guess they do not want to offend the manufacturers that are giving them an endless supply of cars to review, so that can never tell it as it really is for some customers.

·
Registered
Tesla M3 SR+ In a whiter shade of pale
320 Posts
I did a lot of research too, before deciding to buy a Model 3 LR. I had wanted a Tesla for a couple of years, though, so already had a subconscious bias to wanting to buy one, and I am certain that contributed to my decision process. I dithered about it for ages, and actually convinced myself to place an pre-order for a VW ID.3, and had the ID.3 not been as nice as I was expecting when it was unveiled at Frankfurt may well have converted that pre-order and deposit into a real order.

The ID.3 unveiling pretty much coincided with the removal of the "luxury car tax" and that turned out to be the trigger than made me look again at getting a Tesla. With hindsight the SR+ would have been fine for our needs, but I convinced myself that I needed the extra range of the LR, and that the AWD might be useful in terms of improving the handling (I'm not convinced it makes any real difference now).

The key point was really that I definitely let my heart rule when it came to making the decision, and I really should have waited for a time as then I would have heard about some of the pretty grim build quality issues that impacted the cars delivered in that first few months of UK deliveries.

I did learn from that, though, and when I was looking to replace the Tesla I ruled out any model of car that had not been on sale in the UK for at least a year, just so that I had a better chance of getting a more honest view of the real world experiences of owners. Another thing I have learned is that car reviews are pretty dire and rarely very representative of the true nature of the cars being reviewed, especially all the reviews on YouTube. There seems to be an unholy rush by YouTube "influencers" to get an early review of any new model and frankly these quick looks just do not really give any useful information. There are snippets of stuff that can be a helpful to a degree, like the extended range testing that TeslaBjorn does, but some of the mainstream reviewers don't reveal any more than you could get from a look around the car in a showroom. The extent to which obvious problems and quality issues are glossed over by many reviewers is just astounding, but then I guess they do not want to offend the manufacturers that are giving them an endless supply of cars to review, so that can never tell it as it really is for some customers.
I also looked at (and test drove) the ID3 when looking to replace my e-golf.
The demo car (worst edition) had faults when I arrived for the test, subsequently it clearly appeared (to me at least) that there were significant issues with the car in its launch format. Feet were getting distinctly chilly by this point!
Like you, I had actually fancied the M3 when I bought the e-golf, but M3 was not available in RHD at that time.
I had decided to change cars and given the above, together with sudden overnight government changes in taxes and reduced subsidies made the decision clear for me.
It seemed MIC China cars were improved WRT build quality and it also seemed clear that VW had not brought a fully debugged ID3 for sale.
Oh, and I thought the ID seats were pants ( or maybe made from the same material as underpants😂) but eventually, one has to balance it all, make a decision and ultimately put ones money down with one or the other.
One thing I totally underestimated (or failed to fully appreciate) is how utterly dire Tesla are at customer service, and honesty both pre and post sales and how they seem to behave in a way seasoned crooks would be proud of😡.... and previously I thought VW had a few shortcomings😂😂😂😂😂
I fully agree with what you say about YouTube “reviews” a few are very good, most are not so useful when doing research.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts