Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my wife has decided that she’s going EV and was choosing between a Kona 64, the M3 SR+ or LR.

The SC network swung it in the end, not that she’s driving anywhere at the moment.

She’s gone for the M3 LR in metallic blue and everything else is standard.

I’ve been browsing the forum a bit, seems it will be China built but with the non-LFP battery if it’s a LR?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Yup, it'll be built in Shanghai using the NCA battery used in the LR made in Fremont. Only difference appearance-wise will be your door cappings will have the wrap around for the wood trim. You may even get a heated steering wheel, but no-one seems to know about that at the moment. I'm sure you'll love it.

Reactions: Tooks

·
Premium Member
6,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup, it'll be built in Shanghai using the NCA battery used in the LR made in Fremont. Only difference appearance-wise will be your door cappings will have the wrap around for the wood trim. You may even get a heated steering wheel, but no-one seems to know about that at the moment. I'm sure you'll love it.
Well, it’ll be her car, but I will of course be ‘interested’.. 😉

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Yes, seemingly for all RHD markets they sell into.

Reactions: Kalua

·
Registered
77 Posts
It's also unclear if there will be a Hepa filter in the upcoming batch, Shanghai Y's seem to have them confirmed. There was a report in Germany via lease dealers that suggested they'd found someway to fit one in the M3, which Elon had originally said wasn't feasible.

I was referencing this article:
Tesla Model 3 HEPA filter referenced in German leasing update

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Not sure there's room in the M3 for HEPA. Some have swapped the standard filter for activated charcoal ones, but have heard mixed reviews on them.

·
Premium Member
6,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, it arrived in the week, and very nice it looks too.

2847BEC7-FDB7-426C-A848-152D33067182.jpeg

Can confirm it has the heated steering wheel, and on a good look around it, can’t find any horror shows. If I was being picky, the rear of both front doors appear to close slightly proud of the front of the rears? They’re both like that, so probably normal.

From reading on here, I’d come to the conclusion that the software is bullet proof, but she’s already had to learn the reset trick after the main screen has frozen a couple of times.

It also seems to randomly fire up its HVAC system even when the car is locked and hasn’t moved anywhere for hours, is that normal too? There don’t seem to be any options enabled to make that happen either in car or App.

But anyway, she’s very pleased with it, and I’m sure it’ll be a good servant!

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Glad you're all happy. The doors being proud of the rears is probably better than the other way, the bottom on my drivers door was slightly shallow of the rear and the edge of the rear door collected stone ships where it was prominent before I realised so its worth checking how flush they are from top to bottom.

I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion the software was bullet from reading on here, its really not in many ways. I think the polite description would be it has character, the less polite would be it reminds people of Microsoft windows in the 1990s. It seems to go through phases where they seem to stabilise it and then a release seems to make it regress a bit. The HVAC, unless you're getting excessive battery drain because of it I'd just monitor it. The next software release my cure it, the weather might make a difference. or whatever its trying to do might just sort itself out.

·
Premium Member
6,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion the software was bullet from reading on here, its really not in many ways. I think the polite description would be it has character, the less polite would be it reminds people of Microsoft windows in the 1990s. It seems to go through phases where they seem to stabilise it and then a release seems to make it regress a bit.
I’m a child of a bruising encounter with Mk1 ID.3 software, I was constantly told how much better Tesla are at software is all! 🤪😁

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Tesla software can be pretty bad but most of the others don't even try.. TBH we complain a lot on these forums but compared to say, the leaf that I had before, that had software that was not only rubbish but will never be improved at all, it's streets ahead.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
For in-car software it's outstanding.

People love to have a moan don't they.
Steady on.. outstanding it is not...

Take some basics like waypoints on navigation and it doesn't have it. Autopilot if still full of promises and variable performance. Lots of other makes have over the air software updates now, my wifes car had one last week which added Amazon Alexa for free. She can also connect remotely via her phone and take a 360 surround view of the cars which she can look at wherever she is. Ok, it doesn't have a whoppie cushion or netflix but then she doesn't need those things.

Don't get me wrong there's plenty to like, but it does crash and do some weird stuff at times which no other car I've ever owned has done.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Steady on.. outstanding it is not...

Take some basics like waypoints on navigation and it doesn't have it. Autopilot if still full of promises and variable performance. Lots of other makes have over the air software updates now, my wifes car had one last week which added Amazon Alexa for free. She can also connect remotely via her phone and take a 360 surround view of the cars which she can look at wherever she is. Ok, it doesn't have a whoppie cushion or netflix but then she doesn't need those things.

Don't get me wrong there's plenty to like, but it does crash and do some weird stuff at times which no other car I've ever owned has done.
Compared to what?

Name any significantly better in-car software

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Compared to what?

Name any significantly better in-car software
Tell me one feature it has that's better than any other?

I spend a lot of time with the latest BMW system and Tesla. I'd put the BMW software better for :

Over all reliability
Navigation
Integration with mobile devices
Ability to programme features such as automaitc heated steering wheel and seat heating based on temperature
Voice recognition
Speed and lane keep assist features with respect to driver engagement
Speed limit recognition and automatically adjusting car speed to the limit
360 camera view and top down view
Automated parking and reverse assist
adaptive headlights

I'd say Tesla has the edge on
...Easter eggs
Widescreen Netflix while charging
Sentry mode
Summon

I'd say they were the same on
Software updates (BMW has quarterly ones that do stuff)
Traffic light recognition
Built in dashcam
Being able to request anywhere as a destination from a Postcode to a Fast food place

I'd suggest you're out of touch with the latest systems the competition have. Before you reply, do us all a favour and do some research on the competition

·
Registered
608 Posts
Tell me one feature it has that's better than any other?

I spend a lot of time with the latest BMW system and Tesla. I'd put the BMW software better for :

Over all reliability
Navigation
Integration with mobile devices
Ability to programme features such as automaitc heated steering wheel and seat heating based on temperature
Voice recognition
Speed and lane keep assist features with respect to driver engagement
Speed limit recognition and automatically adjusting car speed to the limit
360 camera view and top down view
Automated parking and reverse assist
adaptive headlights

I'd say Tesla has the edge on
...Easter eggs
Widescreen Netflix while charging
Sentry mode
Summon

I'd say they were the same on
Software updates (BMW has quarterly ones that do stuff)
Traffic light recognition
Built in dashcam
Being able to request anywhere as a destination from a Postcode to a Fast food place

I'd suggest you're out of touch with the latest systems the competition have. Before you reply, do us all a favour and do some research on the competition
The map for a start.

I doubt there are many who has done as much research as me.

I owned a 2017 BMW before the Model 3, granted not the latest but I know the features intimately. I watch videos of pretty every new car that comes out.

Just one of the channels I "research" this topic with is a youtuber called Doug DeMuro, he does hundreds of videos every year on different car's "quirks and features" very in-depth about 25-30 minutes long each car. I've watched pretty much every single one. This is just one example of my research

I am yet to see any in-car's software that on the whole is significantly more impressive than what is in the Model 3.

There may be some that is more reliable but without living with hundreds of different cars for months at a time, we'll never know.

There are plenty of parts of other car manufacturer's software that have better individual features than on the Model 3, but you take the whole package as a whole and I think there are very few who can compete.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts