1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
So do we all pretty much agree now that sedan instead of hatchback was a bit of a misstep for the Model 3 ? If this new model comes out as a hatchback the Model 3 is going to look a bit like the odd one out since every other car Tesla has made (apart from the Roadster) is a hatchback.

Sure, it's still a great car without being a hatchback, and the boot is pretty big, but is there any Model 3 owner who would have been unhappy if it had been a hatchback not a Sedan and still followed the same design lines ? I suspect not. (It's perfectly possible to design a hatchback with a Sedan side profile - I drive an ICE which does exactly that)

Can someone remind me again what the reasoning behind the Sedan body was ? Was it just to accommodate the panoramic glass roof ? Or was it a manufacturing cost cutting measure ?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So do we all pretty much agree now that sedan instead of hatchback was a bit of a misstep for the Model 3 ? If this new model comes out as a hatchback the Model 3 is going to look a bit like the odd one out since every other car Tesla has made (apart from the Roadster) is a hatchback.

Sure, it's still a great car without being a hatchback, and the boot is pretty big, but is there any Model 3 owner who would have been unhappy if it had been a hatchback not a Sedan and still followed the same design lines ? I suspect not. (It's perfectly possible to design a hatchback with a Sedan side profile - I drive an ICE which does exactly that)

Can someone remind me again what the reasoning behind the Sedan body was ? Was it just to accommodate the panoramic glass roof ? Or was it a manufacturing cost cutting measure ?
US market. Sedan's very common there.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
I must have missed something - did they not sell every car they made?
Just because someone buys a car doesn't mean they like everything about it. Especially when there are so few (any ?) direct competitors, supply of EV's is short, and the car has some other killer features. (Supercharging etc)

Every car I have ever owned has had things about it I didn't like or preferred would have been different. I would still buy a Model 3 however I would absolutely have been happier if it was a hatchback like the Model Y as I feel the Sedan boot is a compromise for some of my use scenarios. We do know some people on here who actually chose not to buy a Model 3 because it was not a hatchback. (Dog owners for a start)

I was flipping the question on its head - if the Model 3 had been a hatchback instead of a Sedan, is there anyone who would NOT have bought it or bought it but not been entirely happy because it was a Hatchback and not a Sedan ? I think the answer is probably no, but I'm curious to think what others think.

Is there anyone who genuinely prefers a traditional Sedan boot over a Hatchback these days ? Honest question... to me a Sedan boot is a remnant of the 80's and 90's.

Yes, some may not prefer typical vertical back hatchback styling (e-Nero, Leaf, many others) but you can make a hatchback that has Sedan lines quite easily if that's your thing.

Tesla will sell as many Model 3's as they can make for a long time yet because it's a good car and there is so little competition, but that doesn't mean there aren't many people who are put off buying or buy with some reservations who would have rather had a hatchback boot.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Once they start selling Model Y, and if they ever do start making a Model 3 hatchback, let's see if they continue to sell every Model 3 sedan they make.
I wonder if they will keep the Model 3 as a Sedan purposely to differentiate the Model Y and make those that really want or need a hatchback plump for the bigger more expensive car to get it ?

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 Tekna '64 reg
1,396 Posts
but you can make a hatchback that has Sedan lines quite easily if that's your thing.
My Skoda Octavia agrees with you.

My wife really likes Model Y for the hatchback, I dislike idea of driving a jacked up car. I am holding off with Model 3 because of the rear opening, because in terms of boot space and access, it's a big downgrade from the family Octavia.

So yes, I'd love a hatchback Model 3. Also yes, I may plump for Model Y in the end. I'd love it even more if they made a CLA estate style hatchback: meaning longer rear, bigger boot but still stylish and aerodynamic.

BTW, have you got a Leaf now? 24 or 30?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Of course there's a market for (premium) sedans in Europe - Merc and BMW sell tons of them, as do Tesla.

Calling it now though, the Model 3 hatch will be at least £30k ;) Tesla will always be a premium segment automaker.

Reactions: ringi

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
If they can get a Ford Focus / VW Golf size car to market with lets say a 64kw battery, single motor, for £25k base ... then they will fly of the shelves.

However, how can Tesla make a car even cheaper? The only way I see is to make it like the Skoda where you have the old school painted exposed metal doors on the inside.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 Tekna '64 reg
1,396 Posts
Haha, thanks. But it's to replace the dirty diesel long distance car. I'd rather have access to a network of charging hubs in addition to the piss poor UK public 1 or 2 rapid chargers at each location.

The former looks to be reliable. I've experienced the latter and it's totally not reliable. The latter is fine for enthusiastics on this forum, me included, but not okay as diesel replacement to driving long distance with family.

I've no problem with Skoda quality interior as long as the price is right. I'm also happy to pay a premium in comparison to other similar spec EV's to access the networking of charging hubs.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I very much doubt Tesla will make a Model 3 hatch-back, they have the Model Y to cover that off.
Tesla will probably focus on a cheaper smaller EV which is going to be designed and built in China.
Probably a Golf hatch-back type.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Smaller and cheaper. Like Riz_Neo said, it’ll be in the segment below the 3 and Y.

I feel like they’ll struggle to make the price point still - perhaps they should do an Aston Cygnet thing and just give one away with every Model X P100D

edit: or even better, put a Tesla face on an e-up 😂

Reactions: reserves
1 - 20 of 26 Posts