Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Has anyone ever disassembled HV battery pack out of Tesla M3?
According to my research, there are a series of M8 M10 and M12 bolts that are attached. Can somebody give me sockets sizes and power tool details?

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
The question doesnt really make sense. If you have the skills and tools to open and work on a pack, the exact sizes dont matter? Your not going to goto a store and buy one 13mm socket, one 17mm socket and one Makita DTW285 impact driver...

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
21,644 Posts
Opening an HV battery case seems a little dangerous if you're not even sure of which socket to use.

My question to the OP is, do you want to live?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Hello all,

Has anyone ever disassembled HV battery pack out of Tesla M3?
According to my research, there are a series of M8 M10 and M12 bolts that are attached. Can somebody give me sockets sizes and power tool details?
Question also is why do you want to open it?

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
C'mon people. We need some more interesting entries than the usual 'selfie on a cliff edge' ones for the Darwin Awards.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
You will need:
1) a 12lb lump hammer
2) a morrisons shopping cart, front wheels removed
3) a glue gun, with "black" glue sticks
4) a digital multi-meter
5) £45000 of your great british pounds
for reasons of safety, I will not elaborate on the order in which to use these tools - since you need to understand clearly the process, so that you can safely rebuild the pack if required.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,162 Posts

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
If you just short the battery it will trigger the Automated Rapid Disassembly process.
I believe the correct terms are "thermal reconfiguration" and "kinetic disassembly".

Source: I'm an engineer, I get paid to know these things.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
... Or there is the other method - drive the vehicle sideways into a large tree at very high speed indeed, and the cells will disassemble themselves and even launch themselves through the bedroom window of the nearest house, landing comfortably on the bedspread! Amazing what new technology can do, who'd have thought it possible...

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
I believe the correct terms are "thermal reconfiguration" and "kinetic disassembly".

Source: I'm an engineer, I get paid to know these things.
So how come you forgot to mention the laws of Thermodynamics, the one about Order -> Disorder, because Entropy is bound to increase over time? :)

Reactions: cdlb

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
If you just short the battery it will trigger the Automated Rapid Disassembly process.
You’ll have to bypass the battery management system and then securely clamp both high voltage leads to a very substantial copper bus bar. Make sure anyone in the general vicinity is wearing the appropriate safety gear—

1 - 15 of 15 Posts