Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've had my Tesla Model 3 SR+ for just over six months, which felt like a decent amount of time to give my honest thoughts on it so far. There's loads of full reviews out there, so I've listed the things I love, the things I don't like, and there's a little wishlist in there too.

Take a look. It would be good to know if you've had a similar experience or what positives/negatives you've found during ownership. No car is perfect after all ;)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Good video. I agree with most of the things you said except for your dislike of the profile look of the car. But obviously that's subjective and boils down to personal opinion.

One other dislike that I personally would have mentioned is a lack of a heated steering wheel. It's always horrible holding onto a freezing cold wheel when you get in your car on a cold Winter's morning. Brrrr....

·
Registered
970 Posts
Nice review. Have a look at the aftermarket kits for powered frunk and trunk, these now include a foot sensor, so you could open your frunk by waving your foot under the bumper. Been one or two detailed 'how to install' videos on these. Or you could use Siri if you're an Apple man.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good video. I agree with most of the things you said except for your dislike of the profile look of the car. But obviously that's subjective and boils down to personal opinion.

One other dislike that I personally would have mentioned is a lack of a heated steering wheel. It's always horrible holding onto a freezing cold wheel when you get in your car on a cold Winter's morning. Brrrr....
I've realised I accidentally contradicted myself in the video RE the appearance.

I meant to say that front on is cracking and certain angles the profile is also great. But there is the occasional side on view where you can't quite see the lines at the back and I'm not as sold on it. It's getting better the more I look though!

Yes, heated steering wheel would be lovely! Again, that would help reduce the need for warm air all the time in winter.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice review. Have a look at the aftermarket kits for powered frunk and trunk, these now include a foot sensor, so you could open your frunk by waving your foot under the bumper. Been one or two detailed 'how to install' videos on these. Or you could use Siri if you're an Apple man.
Ah, I've seen the aftermarket stuff for the back but not seen any for the frunk yet. That's really cool. Not sure where I stand with that sort of thing being on PCP though.

Not on Apple I'm afraid. TBH I'm not the sort of person to walk out of Lidl and say "Hey Siri open my front trunk"... think I might get reported :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
970 Posts
It should all be removeable, although it would be a PITA to do so I think.

·
Registered
249 Posts
It's 4-8 hours to install a powered trunk (hansshow v3 in mine) and half that to remove it. Only tell would be gromits under carpet in lower frunk (for strut power), but you could spend £3 and buy new gromits.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,493 Posts
You need an Ampera or an Ioniq for that ;)
The Ampera does not have a heated steering wheel. The only way to get one is to buy a kit from the states and fit it or have it fitted over here. Not the cheapest option but if you are keeping the car for a while it might be worth it. I had considered it but it was too late in the time I was keeping the Ampera for. In the winter I would wear gloves and a tammy to avoid having to use the electric heating on my commute which would use all the battery most of the trips in winter.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,493 Posts
A reasonable review, one thing is the voice activation you can use for some controls. I would like to see it for the foglights front (if fitted) and rear, as you have to go into a second-level menu to access them.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A reasonable review, one thing is the voice activation you can use for some controls. I would like to see it for the foglights front (if fitted) and rear, as you have to go into a second-level menu to access them.
Thanks, I'm not sure how to take "reasonable review" :ROFLMAO: Is that good or bad or bang in the middle?

Anyway, someone said the same about the voice control in the YouTube comments. I have to say I find the Tesla voice control very ropey. It struggles to makes calls for me and I have to resort to using what feel like unnatural terms to make it work. i.e. "Phone James Mobile" doesn't do it, but "Dial James Mobile" and even then it doesn't actually phone that person. I have no doubt it will get better, but right now the voice control is pretty bad IMO.

Have others had better luck with the voice control?

That might make a good video though, testing all the various commands.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,493 Posts
Sorry I meant that it was more down to earth, bringing out good and, perhaps, not so good points. The thing is, as you mentioned, these things can be sorted out through software updates so should, in theory, improve over time. I agree about the voice control being a bit flakey for calls but I can get it to put the seat heater on/off and also the heated rear window on/off. There is a list here of the commands but there was also a mobile-friendly list somewhere.,

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just seen Rory Reid's review of the Model 3 Performance and he said exactly the same thing about the looks. Loves it one minute and not the next. I promise I recorded my video well in advance of his! But I'm not the only one who can't decide.

@h8ten - great link for the Tesla commands. This will come in very handy.

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe (ZE40) Q90
1,176 Posts
Ah, I've seen the aftermarket stuff for the back but not seen any for the frunk yet. That's really cool. Not sure where I stand with that sort of thing being on PCP though.

Not on Apple I'm afraid. TBH I'm not the sort of person to walk out of Lidl and say "Hey Siri open my front trunk"... think I might get reported :ROFLMAO:
Frunk Foot Sensor

1 - 14 of 14 Posts