Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Which would you choose for 2yr lease? Tesla Model 3 Performance or Jaguar iPace S

• Jaguar iPace S

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • Tesla Model 3 Performance

Votes: 28 73.7%
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I’d be grateful for your honest opinions as to what you would do in my position.

Both these choices are a 2yr, salary sacrifice lease, 10000miles/yr, charge point installed at home. No other choice of spec/colour etc. Price is the monthly reduction in my take home pay and includes insurance, servicing, tyres, breakdown cover etc. Either car will only be available in April/May

Tesla Model 3 Performance, White, £329 per month

Jaguar iPace S, Corris Grey, the basic Sport seats (“8 way”) £324 per month

I’ve driven the Jag, and liked it, but can’t easily test drive the Tesla.

Loyalties aside, what would you do in my position?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hello all, I’d be grateful for your honest opinions as to what you would do in my position.

Both these choices are a 2yr, salary sacrifice lease, 10000miles/yr, charge point installed at home. No other choice of spec/colour etc. Price is the monthly reduction in my take home pay and includes insurance, servicing, tyres, breakdown cover etc. Either car will only be available in April/May

I’ve driven the Jag, and liked it, but can’t easily test drive the Tesla.

Loyalties aside, what would you do in my position?

Thanks in advance.
Wow if everyone had those options for that price you would see a lot of IPaces and Model 3s on the roads.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow if everyone had those options for that price you would see a lot of IPaces and Model 3s on the roads.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
Many of my colleagues have taken the EV plunge purely on the basis of this option. Most went for the iPace because the Tesla wasn’t offered at first.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF 24kWh; Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
323 Posts
I've had about 30 minutes in each. I am unable to comment on detail issues such as longer journey comfort, ergonomics, electronic apps, etc., but my impressions were:
I-Pace has higher driving position, versatility of a hatch, good performance, quality interior, inferior range
M3P has go-kart like handling, incredible acceleration, spacious interior and capacious boot with load-through capability.

I'm holding out for a Model Y Long Range for my next car - the range, versatility and SC network are major influencers for me.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
I haven't driven the iPace but can certainly recommend a Model 3 if the boot works for you. Obviously isn't great for people with dogs but fine for our use including golf clubs, etc. I agree superchargers are main benefit over Jag at present - might be different in 2 years time.

Personally I would recommend the LR AWD if that is available. The performance is still stunning and the range is better. The tyres will also be better in winter weather - changing to winter ones isn't really an option on SS!

Reactions: ringi and EV i fi

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I've had about 30 minutes in each. I am unable to comment on detail issues such as longer journey comfort, ergonomics, electronic apps, etc., but my impressions were:
I-Pace has higher driving position, versatility of a hatch, good performance, quality interior, inferior range
M3P has go-kart like handling, incredible acceleration, spacious interior and capacious boot with load-through capability.

I'm holding out for a Model Y Long Range for my next car - the range, versatility and SC network are major influencers for me.
Model Y would certainly be a much better option for me, too, but... when?!

If the BIK remains low, I may go for a Y next time. Hopefully there will be more options from other manufacturers by then. Ideally I want to replace our main family car (Galaxy) with an EV that can do long range with family, dog (big) and kit (kayak, paddle-board, bikes, etc.) It doesn’t seems to exist yet (but it will...)

5 bikes, roof-box, 5 people, one Ridgeback-X-German Shepherd...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I haven't driven the iPace but can certainly recommend a Model 3 if the boot works for you. Obviously isn't great for people with dogs but fine for our use including golf clubs, etc. I agree superchargers are main benefit over Jag at present - might be different in 2 years time.

Personally I would recommend the LR AWD if that is available. The performance is still stunning and the range is better. The tyres will also be better in winter weather - changing to winter ones isn't really an option on SS!
Weirdly, only the Performance is an option at this price. The LR is more like £430 per month. Still good value.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Two good options I have driven both and my thoughts are

Ipace - on a 48hr test drive
more comfortable, better boot space, better rear space, better driving position ,drives well, agile, quick with a nice interior
Cons -
Infotainment system was a bit sluggish and the indicators are very noisy

Tesla - 1hr Test drive
Unbelievably quick, handles well, nice tech, long range, super chargers, OTA upgrades

cons
Not as nice interior, having no dials behind the steering wheel so having to take eyes off the road, it’s a saloon style boot so not as practical

it will depend if it’s your only car and your circumstances/lifestyle
Do you have kids etc

it’s not an easy choice I wouldn’t know which one to choose !

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
Weirdly, only the Performance is an option at this price. The LR is more like £430 per month. Still good value.
Yes that is odd. Maybe lease company ordered some before price increase?

Also I haven't been able to check, but I think the spec of the basic Jag misses stuff I take for granted in Tesla. Maybe even memory seat? I bet test drive cars are top spec ;)

Having done long journeys I find Model 3 very comfy to drive and it doesn't take long to get used to central screen.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes that is odd. Maybe lease company ordered some before price increase?

Also I haven't been able to check, but I think the spec of the basic Jag misses stuff I take for granted in Tesla. Maybe even memory seat? I bet test drive cars are top spec ;)

Having done long journeys I find Model 3 very comfy to drive and it doesn't take long to get used to central screen.
The lease company clearly do some model-specific deals, based on what I’ve seen pop-up in their “offers” section; usually no choice regarding colour or spec.

The basic iPace has low spec in odd areas for a luxury car. In particular the seats are only 8-way adjustable (no lumbar adjustability, no memory and manual for/aft adjust) and manual boot.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The lease company clearly do some model-specific deals, based on what I’ve seen pop-up in their “offers” section; usually no choice regarding colour or spec.

The basic iPace has low spec in odd areas for a luxury car. In particular the seats are only 8-way adjustable (no lumbar adjustability, no memory and manual for/aft adjust) and manual boot.
But that’s how the keep the cost down by removing spec or really that’s how they make money by making people up spec

unbelievable on my Taycan you have to pay for Folding mirrors and keyless entry! They Should both be standard on most cars now

don’t forget car companies need to shift cars to offset emissions and in 2020 EVs and hybrids count double so later in the year there may be some great deals

these new BIK deals are a great incentive

·
Registered
25 Posts
I drove them both back to back

iPace, looks nice, nice interior, awful infotainment but has carplay / android auto which are far better than tesla's infotainment, many updates need the car to be taken to dealer. The iPace drives like a typical Jag, quick and competent but never sporty or engaging to drive (its an old man's car). The regen on the brake pedal is bloody awful giving a dead zone on the brake pedal where the brakes do not engage. Hated that with a passion.

Model 3, looks ok, interior is ok, infotainment is fast but very old fashioned (out of date 2D satnav, no waze, no carplay etc.) changing settings on the ipad is awkward whilst driving with no physical buttons. However the way the model 3 drives and rides is just brilliant, far better than any of the recent M / AMG or RS cars I have driven. Turn in just excellent, and the power it can put down whilst hard cornering even in the wet just amazing. Tesla have absolutely nailed one foot driving to perfection, lifting off the accelerator pedal to regen power simulating engine braking and the brake pedal only operates the physical brakes, it just feels so right.

I got the model 3 and use my phone to cover the infotainment systems deficiencies. It makes me smile every time i drive it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
unbelievable on my Taycan you have to pay for Folding mirrors and keyless entry! They Should both be standard on most cars now
Porsche charge for everything because they can, the punters will pay. I would pay if i was not a pleb and had the money needed to get a spec'd turbo s

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have recently test driven M3, MS and I-Pace. I liked the I-Pace, it's handling is impressive for a heavy, high car. A lot of things that are standard in a Tesla are options on the Jag.
The MS performance has brutal acceleration and the handling is not that far removed from the I-Pace.
The M3 is, in my book, in a different league as a driver's car. I thought I would hate the lack of dials and knobs but the single screen is quite intuitive and you get used to it very quickly. For me, it was an obvious choice over the others (the boot rather than hatch is not a problem for me and it is in fact a very large boot). It is also a more advanced, efficient machine than the other two and that matters to me. I ordered mine this week.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
From a kit standpoint, I suspect the Tesla wins hands down as Jaguar are premium, i.e. anything barring a steering wheel, drive train and the body will cost extra.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
I find the infotainment in Model 3 works well for my needs. I use a Raspberry Pi to sync Teslacam and it stores my music in lossless FLAC. I also have a Spotify Premium account to access my playlists. I agree Nav could do with an upgrade (eg way points) but it works OK and is great when on a long journey for planning SuC stops.

·
Super Moderator
11,713 Posts

Wow -- That is roughly what I'm paying for an i3s. (£1000 deposit and 12k miles pa similar payment) And that was with a substantial discount.

A few suggestions:

Make the effort to test drive the Tesla. Get an appointment and make a day of it. My experience was nothing like visiting an ordinary car dealer.

I think you sign up here --> Events | Tesla UK There is one in Cardiff at the end of the month.

I wouldn't discount the M3 just because you have a large dog. I carry a Labradoodle and a Great Dane in the i3 daily. Yes, they fit.

Take a close the charging infrastructure if you plan to go outside the single charge range of the car. CCS is still spotty, especially in Wales. Many of the older chargers are unreliable. Tesla has a ton of destination chargers in Wales, but not much SuperCharger coverage (yet). -- For long trips into England, the M3 is going to have the advantage of the SuperCharger network.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
As others have said, it’s a tough call between the 2 cars.
If the i-Pace was SE spec then I would go with that providing you are not doing 200 plus mile journeys daily or frequently. It’s still good as a base model.
Its a good sized hatchback so dog friendly, which the M3 isn’t As it’s only got a boot.

M3 wins on SuC infrastructure if doing long mileages daily.
Model Y is ideal solution, but that is 2021 onwards.
If hatchback is the key requirement go with I-Pace, if not go with M3

Reactions: ringi
1 - 20 of 30 Posts