Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
Account Abandoned
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I thought I would pop back here with an update at 10k miles at 4 months in on the Tesla Model 3, in comparison to the 70k miles and 2 years in the Kona

First let me say the cars are chalk and cheese and some will say you can’t compare them, but realistically with the Kona at a Current RRP of £38k and a WLTP range of 272 miles (2018/2020 model). And the Model 3 at £40k and a WLTP range of 254 miles (2019/2020 model). I would say it’s a fair comparison

What have I found range wise.
My long term average in the Kona was 4.2 Miles per KWh giving a real world range of 265 miles

My first 10k miles in the Model 3 SR+ have returned exactly 250w/mile so 4 Miles per KWh exactly. Giving a real world range of 200 miles

So the Kona returned approx 7 miles less than its WLTP range
And the Model 3 returned approx 54 miles less than WLTP range

This was as expected and 50 miles less on the Model 3 was where I realistically expected to be.

=======================================================
Charging
The Tesla does have the advantage on charge speed with 150kwh on Tesla Superchargers, and Polar 150 and Ionity. On 50kw rapids it’s a bit slower than the Kona starting at 40kw and topping out at 44kw

where the Tesla is a real PiTA when charging is its slapdash and blatant wasting of energy.

EG,. On a trip navigate via a supercharger. The car will start to preheat the battery 20 mins before getting to the charger to get the battery to 50c for optimum charging speed. This can easily burn 5kw (10% of the battery). Then as soon as you start charging the battery is hot so it has to start calling it using energy again. So on a 10-80% charging session you will save about 5 mins but burn an extra 7 to 8kw of power to optimise the charging.

for me I would rather save the energy and spend a bit longer charging or at least have the choice.
Tech
Tech in Tesla that’s Better than Kona
Massively adjustable seats with memory and easy entry mode
Built in media like Spotify and YouTube/Netflix great to waste time while charging
Software updates online. No dealer trips
Sentry Mode / Dashcam brilliant features
Rear USB ports

Worst Tech in Tesla where Kona Wins
Maps. UK maps not been updated since car was launched in UK in 2019 for love of god this is stupid
Phantom Braking on cruise control.. the damn thing slams the brakes on for no reason going past lorries and at certain points on the motorway network it’s just plain dangerous and unusable
Speed Sign Recognition. Works well on local roads but is disabled on dual carriageways and motorways so ignores motorway tempory limits etc
No Speed Camera warning
No heated Steering Wheel
No cooled seats
Build Quality

Not a lot you can say really the Kona feels like a well built and well bolted together car its hard wearing and after 70k miles I can honestly say done of it felt work or tatty it still drove like a new car

The Tesla feels quality wise just the same as the 90s Mustangs and Cameros I owned while living in the US they were built to be just about good enough to get off the dealer care taken in building them and nothing has changed in the Tesla

they seem to have looked at all the YouTube car reviews and put in the bits people like (non scratchy plastics etc) but held them in place with left over chewing gum

the car feels to me like it has to be treated like walking on eggshells don’t lean on the arm rest or the door trim it just feels look over substance. Standard US car building.

DRIVING

There is a world of difference in them this is the one area where the Tesla wins hands down it does not feel like driving an American car it’s agile fun and a pleasure to drive.

The Kona really does feel lacking in comparison. It does not feel composed.
WARRANTY etc
The Tesla suffers from a short warranty for high mileage drivers 50k miles off 4 years. For me in a normal year I would burn the warranty in just over a year. And I would not consider owning one out of warranty

Compared to the Kona warranty it’s rubbish

But saying that with no scheduled servicing it makes up for some of this.

so far only a couple of issues. Noticed as soon as we got car there was water in rear lights and there was a bright spot at night on main screen. Reported it online and an engineer came to us a few days later and replaced them on our drive

can’t argue with that for service

======================================================

Do I regret buying the Tesla
NO it was an itch I needed to scratch, I was bored with the Kona after 2 years, it was a constant ear worm, get a Tesla get a Tesla

But saying that the itch is scratched I will keep it the year maybe a bit less if something else comes along that catches my eye.

would I buy another. No I think I have figured out I am not a TeslaDriver.
Driving the Kona I loved chatting to drivers while charging and answering questions. With the Tesla I plug it in and hide. It seems to attract an odd type and I miss the friendly EV types from a the Konas Zoe’s etc etc

The last car I had like this was an Abarth Stilo 24v. Was a great drivers car but really high maintenance and attracted the chavs of the world. I was glad to get out of it,

WHATS NEXT
Will be looking at the Mustang but think anything with decent range will be out of my price range. High on the list will be whatever the Koreans bring out under the Ioniq brand.

From coming from my initial thoughts that the Kona and Tesla were neck a neck in positives when I was first considering I would now say it’s 65-35 in favour of the Kona

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,909 Posts
Well I thought I would pop back here with an update at 10k miles at 4 months in on the Tesla Model 3, in comparison to the 70k miles and 2 years in the Kona

View attachment 139511

First let me say the cars are chalk and cheese and some will say you can’t compare them, but realistically with the Kona at a Current RRP of £38k and a WLTP range of 272 miles (2018/2020 model). And the Model 3 at £40k and a WLTP range of 254 miles (2019/2020 model). I would say it’s a fair comparison

My long term average in the Kona was 4.2 Miles per KWh giving a real world range of 265 miles

My first 10k miles in the Model 3 SR+ have returned exactly 250w/mile so 4 Miles per KWh exactly. Giving a real world range of 200 miles

This was as expected and 50 miles less on the Model 3 was where I realistically expected to be.

Charging
The Tesla does have the advantage on charge speed with 150kwh on Tesla Superchargers, and Polar 150 and Ionity. On 50kw rapids it’s a bit slower than the Kona starting at 40kw and topping out at 44kw

where the Tesla is a real PiTA when charging is its slapdash and blatant wasting of energy.

EG,. On a trip navigate via a supercharger. The car will start to preheat the battery 20 mins before getting to the charger to get the battery to 50c for optimum charging speed. This can easily burn 5kw (10% of the battery). Then as soon as you start charging the battery is hot so it has to start calling it using energy again. So on a 10-80% charging session you will save about 5 mins but burn an extra 7 to 8kw of power to optimise the charging.

for me I would rather save the energy and spend a bit longer charging or at least have the choice.
Tech
Built in media like Spotify and YouTube/Netflix great to waste time while charging
Rear USB ports

Maps. UK maps not been updated since car was launched in UK in 2019 for love of god this is stupid
Phantom Braking on cruise control.. the damn thing slams the brakes on for no reason going past lorries and at certain points on the motorway network it’s just plain dangerous and unusable
Speed Sign Recognition. Works well on local roads but is disabled on dual carriageways and motorways so ignores motorway tempory limits etc
No Speed Camera warning
No heated Steering Wheel
No cooled seats
Build Quality

Not a lot you can say really the Kona feels like a well built and well bolted together car its hard wearing and after 70k miles I can honestly say done of it felt work or tatty it still drove like a new car

The Tesla feels quality wise just the same as the 90s Mustangs and Cameros I owned while living in the US they were built to be just about good enough to get off the dealer care taken in building them and nothing has changed in the Tesla

they seem to have looked at all the YouTube car reviews and put in the bits people like (non scratchy plastics etc) but held them in place with left over chewing gum

the car feels to me like it has to be treated like walking on eggshells don’t lean on the arm rest or the door trim it just feels look over substance. Standard US car building.

DRIVING

There is a world of difference in them this is the one area where the Tesla wins hands down it does not feel like driving an American car it’s agile fun and a pleasure to drive.

WARRANTY etc
The Tesla suffers from a short warranty for high mileage drivers 50k miles off 4 years. For me in a normal year I would burn the warranty in just over a year. And I would not consider owning one out of warranty

so far only a couple of issues. Noticed as soon as we got car there was water in rear lights and there was a bright spot at night on main screen. Reported it online and an engineer came to us a few days later and replaced them on our drive

NO it was an itch I needed to scratch, I was bored with the Kona after 2 years, it was a constant ear worm, get a Tesla get a Tesla

But saying that the itch is scratched I will keep it the year maybe a bit less if something else comes along that catches my eye.

Driving the Kona I loved chatting to drivers while charging and answering questions. With the Tesla I plug it in and hide. It seems to attract an odd type and I miss the friendly EV types from a the Konas Zoe’s etc etc

The last car I had like this was an Abarth Stilo 24v. Was a great drivers car but really high maintenance and attracted the chavs of the world. I was glad to get out of it,

WHATS NEXT
Will be looking at the Mustang but think anything with decent range will be out of my price range. High on the list will be whatever the Koreans bring out under the Ioniq brand.

From coming from my initial thoughts that the Kona and Tesla were neck a neck in positives when I was first considering I would now say it’s 65-35 in favour of the Kona
Thanks for this, it’s always good to hear real world comparisons of EVs, from people who’ve driven and lived with them for a while.

I’ve never driven a Kona, and only had a test drive in a M3, so it’s useful.

My wife is looking at an EV for her next car, she fancies a Tesla because of the SC network, but prefers small SUV type vehicles so a Kona should be on her shortlist and the extra range would probably mitigate the lack of an SC network.

·
Registered
Account Abandoned
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for this, it’s always good to hear real world comparisons of EVs, from people who’ve driven and lived with them for a while.

My wife is looking at an EV for her next car, she fancies a Tesla because of the SC network, but prefers small SUV type vehicles so a Kona should be on her shortlist and the extra range would probably mitigate the lack of an SC network.
also bear in mind that the UK supercharger network is getting very busy very quickly. Several times I have pulled in and found a queue at a serve station even though there are 8 superchargers. Yet oddly the Ecotricity unit is empty. So have used that instead

a lot will depend on your needs andsuperchargers on routes you will use

the Tesla was very good on a late night unplanned 300 mile trip to wales and back. Car was only at 40% on leaving and planned a route via superchargers without prompting. Great if you are not a planning mastermind and don’t have a charging network map in your head or a navigator that can plan on the fly

·
Registered
eNiro 64kWh 2021. Ioniq 38kWh 2020.
1,173 Posts
Thanks, a really good and honest review from someone who has spent a lot of hours/miles driving EVs. For everything, I never really trust reviews when someone has just got something new, it is much better to see when they have spent a lot of time with it.

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,783 Posts
It's interesting the tesla pre heats to 50C for optimum charging and the other manufacturers avoid getting that hot.

The hyundai unlimited 5 year warranty is impossible to beat. For a high mileage user there just isn't anyone else that is offering the complete package.

I'm surprised the maps are out of date as I thought Tesla used google maps to avoid that issue completely.

·
Registered
Account Abandoned
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's interesting the tesla pre heats to 50C for optimum charging and the other manufacturers avoid getting that hot.

The hyundai unlimited 5 year warranty is impossible to beat. For a high mileage user there just isn't anyone else that is offering the complete package.

I'm surprised the maps are out of date as I thought Tesla used google maps to avoid that issue completely.
it gets max charge speed from 5% to 30% but to achieve it needs to be at 50c so they preheat it to a high temp and then cool rapidly after those first 5 mins. Personally seems a waste

re nav data. The onscreen data satellite view maps are up to date and from Google but the underlying navigation is done on a built in map from another supplier from 2019 so you can often see the new road on the Google maps overlay while the car try’s to navigate on out of date built in data. A real Cludge of a system

and yes the Hyundai warranty is Kung for high mileage drivers. Just that stupid service tyre kicking exercise every 10k miles that is a waste of time

·
Registered
159 Posts

small SUV EV?
would go for the Lexus 300e

·
Registered
788 Posts
A great real world review from an experienced EV driver. I was days away from commiting to an M3 SR+ when I sat down and did my pro's and con's list. The Kona won and I haven't regretted it (although I also had that itch wondering if I'd made the right decision). Thanks for your feedback . . . Itch now thouroughly scratched. :)

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
The Tesla feels quality wise just the same as the 90s Mustangs and Cameros
Interesting. There have been a lot of comments and then defence of Tesla build quality, mainly about paint and panels, so it's been hard to know what's what.
But you've certainly clarified that.

I wonder if this is a design thing that will carry through to Chinese and German cars, or is specifically a US materials/assembly issue.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Have you tried updating the maps in the settings? I believe they’re necessary for Nav on AP, so it doesn’t seem right that NoA would rely on such outdated maps.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Excellent review. Interesting to hear about the social aspects regarding other UK EV drivers since in NZ I rarely encounter EVs other than early Leafs, and those owners often seem to assume I'm a prat.
Your build quality comments reminded me a bit of older BMWs I've owned, attractive visible surfaces and a fundamentally solid chassis, but the interiors are held together with string and chewing gum. I have no doubt Tesla will eventually fix all of those complaints as they evolve. But until they do I'll stick to owning the shares.

·
Registered
Account Abandoned
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have you tried updating the maps in the settings? I believe they’re necessary for Nav on AP, so it doesn’t seem right that NoA would rely on such outdated maps.
no therehas been no update in the UK they rolled out an update early 2020 but it was a disaster full of map errors so it was rolled back after a couple of days and no replacement has ever been used

·
Life's too short to wait for a Kona .....
122 Posts

View attachment 139511

Charging

Tech
Rear USB ports

No Speed Camera warning
No heated Steering Wheel
No cooled seats
Build Quality

DRIVING

WARRANTY etc

WHATS NEXT

Thanks Stageshoot. Always appreciated your honest unbiased opinions. I feel I share your views on these matters. Whilst I always looked and thought I fancy a Tesla, I have always had a slightly grudging love of the Hyundai product. I only have the Ioniq 28, but have had 100% reliability over 30k miles, and have the time to stop and charge where necessary. I am also waiting to see what the ‘new’ Ioniq brand brings to the party. Can’t help feeling that the 28 will be a keeper as a second car as well.

Reactions: stageshoot

·
Registered
231 Posts
Thanks for the review. Like many the 'go on try a Tesla' little voice has been whispering in my ear and my rational response has always been concerns about real range, build quality, longevity, servicing and above all general mistrust of the blogger reviewers.
So until now I have stuck with Konas and a Niro. Unlike your experience we have not had any major issues with them apart from the suicidal 11kW OBC in the later Kona.
The Model Y was a potential option when it arrives in the UK but following your experience the front runner is now a pair of ID.4s if VW ever get their software sorted.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
no therehas been no update in the UK they rolled out an update early 2020 but it was a disaster full of map errors so it was rolled back after a couple of days and no replacement has ever been used
Damn. So NoA over here is worse than ever then

Reactions: stageshoot

·
Registered
Account Abandoned
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Damn. So NoA over here is worse than ever then
not just Navigate Cruise is affected as well

EG on the M1 southbound at J25 2 years ago the inside lane was an exit lane since then it’s returned to being a normal lane but when driving on cruise control as you pas# the junction the car slams on the brakes to reduce the speed to 40 as it thinks you are in an exit lane when it’s actually just the normal motorway inside lane. It’s absolutely dangerous if you are on cruise at 70 it anchors on to 40 activating the emergency braking. If you are not quick reacting you can end up being rear ended. And that’s not navigate on autopilot just normal cruise control

·
Registered
366 Posts
I went the other way. After I decided to plough a field with the roof of my M3 Performance I needed a car fairly quickly and I was offered a Kona, e-Niro or Corsa e. I took the Kona because of the headlamps primarily. My biggest issue on the M3 was the night driving experience. The ones on my 2020 built car were shocking. The ones on the Kona are decent.

I also had 7 bodywork and interior trim faults at collection, which were never really fixed properly.

The car itself was VERY (too?) quick. But once you got past the “OMG I feel sick“ acceleration what was left was a very efficient but fairly uninspiring car. And they’re truly Marmite. People love them or hate them. I’ve got my Kona for 12 months and I think overall it’s a (slightly) worse EV but a better built car. If it had all wheel drive I’d be a lot happier.

Yes, the boot is minuscule and there is no rear legroom but it is actually quite a small car and there is only ever me in the car so it’s a bit of a moot point. And it just feels well screwed together. Given my Kona goes back in September I’m in the right window for an Ioniq 5 so we’ll see what that’s like But right now I’m enjoying my Kona.

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
562 Posts

View attachment 139511

Charging

Tech
Rear USB ports

No Speed Camera warning
No heated Steering Wheel
No cooled seats
Build Quality

DRIVING

WARRANTY etc

WHATS NEXT

Well said. A great summing up. I don't have an itch for a Tesla, but as with anyone looking out for a car that beats both of them, hopefully hands down. The Tesla has phantom braking, but so does the Kona, not on the motorway but usually over-reacting to parked cars.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts