Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 782 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have started a Flipboard Magazine gathering news, speculation and when available solid facts of the Tesla Model 3 if anyone is interested in following it. Tesla Model 3 on Flipboard

Off the back of this I wanted to create my own info site specifically for UK Model 3 fans and the information relevant to the RHD version that will eventually appear on these shores.
Tesla Model 3

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Also Musk confirmed on the Q&A following the results call yesteday that the Model 3 will be:

- a sedan and not a hatchback or small SUV
- 20% smaller than the Model S
- half the price of the equivalent Model S
- aimed at the BMW 3 series market segment
- shipped by the end of 2017

Also,
- initial shippings will be for top end models as per the lauch of the S and X
- production will ramp up much more quickly than for the S and X
- be much simpler to produce than the S or X

He also commented that they are still deciding whether to show everything in March or keep some things back a drip feed up to launch.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
@smartie
I am surprised its going to be in sedan format, I was expecting it to be a hatchback for practical purposes and also better for aerodynamic efficiency ?

·
Banned
1,698 Posts
Musk confirmed on the Q&A following the results call yesteday that the Model 3 will be:

- a sedan and not a hatchback or small SUV
- 20% smaller than the Model S
- half the price of the equivalent Model S
Mmmm. An S 70 (2wd) with autopilot is @£59,000 so will an equivalent Model ≡ be £30,500 but will it actually be a 55 (which is @20% smaller :p)?

·
Banned
1,698 Posts
I am surprised its going to be in sedan format, I was expecting it to be a hatchback for practical purposes and also better for aerodynamic efficiency ?
I'm a bit disappointed by that but will wait and see what it actually is before passing any comment.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
My Leaf will be getting handed back in December 2018 and I'm desperately hoping the Model 3 will be available before then.

The only thing that worries me about putting down a reservation fee is whether Tesla can ramp up the number of service and maintenance branches quickly enough to cope with a mass market vehicle.

My local Nissan dealer is 10 minutes walk from work. I think my nearest Tesla service centre is in Manchester. I don't fancy having to take a day off work just to drop my car off for a service or have to wait weeks to get any problems looked at.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Mmmm. An S 70 (2wd) with autopilot is @£59,000 so will an equivalent Model ≡ be £30,500 but will it actually be a 55 (which is @20% smaller :p)?
According to the Tesla website a 2wd S70 with autopilot is £55,800 after the £5,000 picg. So £60,800 before the grant. Which suggests that a similar M3 could be £30,400 before grant or £25,900 after the revised £4,500 picg. Similarly a non AP M3 could be around £24,800.

Also, the 20% smaller reference was to the size of the car, not the battery pack :p!

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I wonder what the deal with deposits will be. You can get a full refund on current ones until the car is being built. If that were the case I'd put down a deposit and just cancel it later if someone better came along before 2018 when mine would be delivered.

It's going to be ridiculous though. 2 years before delivery might just about have flown with the luxury Model S, but on a cheap mass market EV? The Model S was unique at the time, the Model 3 will have a fair bit of competition.

P

·
0 Posts
My local Nissan dealer is 10 minutes walk from work. I think my nearest Tesla service centre is in Manchester. I don't fancy having to take a day off work just to drop my car off for a service or have to wait weeks to get any problems looked at.
This also bothers me. Tesla has just 4 locations nationwide and that doesn't fit with the sales projections.

For comparison Subaru UK sell a steady 100-200 cars monthly and they have 70 dealers. Plus you can service your Outback/Forester etc. of any age at any independent outfit.

·
Registered
752 Posts
What a pity, I'm not at a stage in life where a saloon is a good option. Estate or hatchback both good, but no way a saloon has the flexibility for an active family.

·
Registered
149 Posts
whatever the size and structure. tesla time will tell the Model 3. But if it's definite then it IS definite. (on the product reveal 31March2016).:)

·
Banned
1,698 Posts
According to the Tesla website a 2wd S70 with autopilot is £55,800 after the £5,000 picg. So £60,800 before the grant.
It's only £55,000 if you have a low rent version. Do people actually buy black or white ones with cloth interior? Its 'cash price' is £58,850 in a nice colour, with leather and autopilot (and I rounded it up).

I thought they had snaffled the grant from that figure already......

Which suggests that a similar M3 could be £30,400 before grant or £25,900 after the revised £4,500 picg. Similarly a non AP M3 could be around £24,800.
Who would want a non-autopilot equipped Tesla?

But if you are right about the grant the mid-twenties is a great price. :cool:

1 - 20 of 782 Posts