Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Tesla Model Y, 2022
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We should talk about the PHEV con, where the regulators, automakers, and even governments collude and allow ridiculous emission claims such as this. At 18g/km, Range Rover Sport PHEV claims to be near emission-free than even Tesla.
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Slope

Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Automotive parking light

·
Premium Member
Some EVs or other
9,746 Posts
We should talk about the PHEV con, where the regulators, automakers, and even governments collude and allow ridiculous emission claims such as this. At 18g/km, Range Rover Sport PHEV claims to be near emission-free than even Tesla.
View attachment 161758
View attachment 161759
Does it?

The way I read that graph shows that ‘premium ICE’ uses many times more CO2 than a Tesla over the life of the vehicle.

Besides, legally they have to publish the WLTP test result, without seeing the small print indicated by the double crucifix it’s hard to comment further.

·
Registered
122 Posts
View attachment 161758
View attachment 161759
You aren't comparing like for like data here. The Tesla data is life cycle emissions which includes emissions associated with manufacturing the vehicle, emissions from electricity generation to power the vehicle when using it and emissions for disposal of the vehicle at the end of its life. There is currently no regulatory requirement to provide life cycle emissions data. The Range Rover data is the legally required test cycle data for tailpipe emissions from vehicle use which is assessed using a standardised test for all vehicles - doesn't include production or disposal emissions or emissions from electricity use. You are right that this doesn't accurately reflect real world PHEV emissions from the use of the vehicle. The US approach to quantifying tailpipe emissions is much closer to real world conditions than the European approach.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2022 Tesla Model 3LR
1,112 Posts
why does the tesla ride sharing manufacturing CO2 differ from personal driving? Surely the car takes the same CO2 to make. Or are they assuming fewers made because you’re ride sharing which seems odd.

And even so, why are the two different ride sharing options differing in manufacture CO2? The only difference there is how you’re charging, so only use CO2 should vary

chart is bollocks

Reactions: jmacneil

·
Registered
122 Posts
why does the tesla ride sharing manufacturing CO2 differ from personal driving? Surely the car takes the same CO2 to make. Or are they assuming fewers made because you’re ride sharing which seems odd.

And even so, why are the two different ride sharing options differing in manufacture CO2? The only difference there is how you’re charging, so only use CO2 should vary

chart is bollocks
It's because for ridesharing they have assumed that the vehicle will travel many, many more miles over its lifetime compared to a vehicle only used for personal/family driving. They have taken data for the average lifetime miles travelled per car in the US and Europe (200,000 miles and 150,000 miles respectively) and then assumed that a ride sharing Tesla robotaxi can be used for 1 million miles. That's a big assumption to make...

See Page 22 at link below for Tesla's explanation of this:

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
You aren't comparing like for like data here. The Tesla data is life cycle emissions which includes emissions associated with manufacturing the vehicle, emissions from electricity generation to power the vehicle when using it and emissions for disposal of the vehicle at the end of its life. There is currently no regulatory requirement to provide life cycle emissions data. The Range Rover data is the legally required test cycle data for tailpipe emissions from vehicle use which is assessed using a standardised test for all vehicles - doesn't include production or disposal emissions or emissions from electricity use. You are right that this doesn't accurately reflect real world PHEV emissions from the use of the vehicle. The US approach to quantifying tailpipe emissions is much closer to real world conditions than the European approach.

The like for like data sees the Tesla or any other EV listed as 0g/km CO2.
This is also a hopeless misrepresentation.

Though I can at least sort of explain zero in use emissions for a BEV... not sure I'd be able to explain a WLTP PHEV economy calculation.

·
Registered
53 Posts
We can expect to see all manner of confusing charts around all this now that it is one of the main talking points in the "EV vs ICE" arena.

Much as i would love to see a true "extraction from the ground to forecourt and then lifetime use" breakdown for the materials of construction AND fuel needed (including all transportation) for the functioning of the vehicle, i think even the most bean-counting of statisticians would not enjoy the task!

But in your head you can do a rough ball-park estimate based on the data we do have, and if including the vast overhead of the petroleum industry side, EV's just about shade it in relation to 'environmental' concerns most pressing right now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts