Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it 三 as in the Chinese character for three, or is it just three lines to look like the E or is it the equals sign I don't understand ≡ or... or what?

I may have been overthinking this.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF N-Connecta 40kWh; Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
330 Posts
I think I read somewhere about them wanting to have a model line-up that read
S 三 X :rolleyes:

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
:)

I was under the impression that Ford told Tesla that the original name "model E" was trademarked, hence the change and logo - rather snubbing their nose at Ford!

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Elon said in one of his many interviews after the change that they haven't decided yet. Wouldn't be surprised if they used the same style as the E in Tesla's logo :)

·
Registered
427 Posts
For me Ford is really stupid in that with "model e". Then MB could have problems with "model s" (for s class) and BMW with "model x" (X models), but they didn't

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
It wont be the three lines 100%.
Anyone can tell it doesn't search well.
And nobody knows how to say it so it doesn't word-of-mouth well.
And most people don't know how to type it.
Tesla Marketing will be like 'lol no'.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Tesla what? They could call it the Tesla Douchebag and if it was $35k with a 200 mile range it would still sell every unit they can make!
They would sell a lot more cars if they marketed them ;) (I heard rumours production numbers are down atm, so they still have some capacity left.)

Their Internet / Social media doesn't necessarily get you to the demographics the S is best suited to, but I see how it's miles cheaper than TV and print adverts.

I feel like a car sales person a lot of the time when I pull up in mine, it does look big and expensive, but it could be a big Honda or Mazda for all most people know. I mentioned it before, but if it's plugged in on charge I get even more comments.

I've had loads of people say to me "Oh a Tesla, isn't that the thing that ran out of batteries on Top Gear" :(

A big part of why people buy say a Mercedes isn't its a good car, but that it makes a statement about their success in life, this needs to be cultivated, not just so those buying the car know it's good, but it's something people in general aspire too.

Adverts in big magazines helps directly, but it also gets you more editorial content and favourable reviews. Someone looking right now for a big luxury car is going to see Merc vs Jag vs BMW (with just maybe with a tiny sidebar about the "wacky" or "eco" choice from a firm that spends no money with their advert department)

·
Super Moderator
7,505 Posts
I think they'd generate more demand with advertising, but I don't think they actually have spare capacity. I try to keep up on the official forum, and last I saw the total U.S. delivery numbers were down, because more production was being allocated to Europe and Asia to "balance the pipes" and get everyone waiting the same amount of time. That wait is still months unless you get a used car!

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
I think they'd generate more demand with advertising, but I don't think they actually have spare capacity. I try to keep up on the official forum, and last I saw the total U.S. delivery numbers were down, because more production was being allocated to Europe and Asia to "balance the pipes" and get everyone waiting the same amount of time. That wait is still months unless you get a used car!
Not sure I completely buy that. TMC and the official forums are pretty biased ;)

I'd read some independent analysis suggesting demand was slightly in decline in the US partly due to somewhat of a saturation in the key Californian market, hence the earlier than planned launch of the D, to try and cover the gap in the delayed X.

Bear in mind the cars are physically shipped after order, so 2 months of the 4 is the car sat on a boat ;) The other 2 months could be as they wait until they have enough orders to cover a shipping batch.

All speculation at this point we will have to wait and see the production numbers in their next financial statement.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
My understanding is that it is ≡ as it is in the T≡SLA Logo.
tesla-logo.jpg

I've always assumed this is based on the [Identical To] Character ≡ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_bar) rather than the Chinese Character 三 for 3.

·
Super Moderator
11,856 Posts
I think they should call it "The Car Formerly Known as the Model E"

Then MB could have problems with "model s" (for s class) and BMW with "model x" (X models), but they didn't

Ahh But Ford made cars called Model A, Model B, Model C. There is a Model F. I don't think they made a Model E, but there are E-150, E-350 and E-450 vans in the US.

Tesla may have been lucky that Ford didn't trademark the entire alphabet.

Mercedes calles their cars A Class, B Class. They don't use the word model in the name.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Why 3 anyway? It's their fourth car. :rolleyes:

The whole S.E.X. thing was (IMHO) just opportunistic spin after a journo pointed out the anagram. The true line up would have been listed as SXE chronologically. (Or ESX / XSE in price order).

S for Sedan, X for Cross-over, E for Everyone. It made sense, and Elon actually said that's what the E stood for at the S launch event.

The whole trade mark thing is unfortunate, but then then the Porsche 911 was supposed be called the Porsche 901, but couldn't because of a Peugeot trademark ;)

TBH I'd have preferred them to name the cars along a theme. Maybe after something a bit more geeky. e.g. famous scientists, inventors, scientific / electrical terms.

Tesla Joule for example.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The whole trade mark thing is unfortunate, but then then the Porsche 911 was supposed be called the Porsche 901, but couldn't because of a Peugeot trademark ;)
New MINI Clubman should have been a Traveller, but someone else already had that (have a vague feeling that was also Ford).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts