Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Administrator
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting video, not quite 100% scientific, but around 0.5% of range lost after 50,000 km covered.

Seems very encouraging for all battery powered cars (especially Model S) when good figures like this keep on coming.

Super Moderator
And in very cold conditions too!

Registered
The 2012 Volt that I drive has nearly 110,000 miles on it. As far as I am aware the high-voltage battery was not replaced ever. From the historical MPG readings it appears that the previous owner (who put the 100K miles on there) continually ran in "charge sustaining mode" (REx) and nearly never charged it.

The Volt never actually charges the battery to 100% and never lets it deplete to 0%. The car is used within a window of 10.3 kWh of the 16 kWh battery (10.8 kWh of the 16.5 kWh on the 2013 and newer). In actual use the Volt employs some sort of sophisticated logic in battery charge management to achieve the stated window, but when a driver drives the car from a "full" charge to charge sustaining mode then the display will show how many kWh were used.

When I do this I see anywhere between 9.8 kWh and 10.2 kWh (depending a lot on the ambient temperature and driving patterns - I get more on slow drives).

That I ever see 10.2 kWh usage after 110K miles is a testament to the success of the battery management.

I believe that GM was trying to ensure that the battery capacity not lose more than 10% after 150,000 miles for warranty purposes. I'd say they did much better than that.

Thus, for BEV owners... it would seem that you would help your battery capacity stay healthy if you keep the charge in that "sweet spot" as the fellow in the video suggests.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts