Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried the design studio last night and found it difficult to get the advertised price. Eventually I did manage to remove any options and get s60 down to 49340 pounds if memory serves. The s85 similarly over 56K but with supercharging I suppose this is the way to go. The 60 is not quite as quick despite being lighter obviously. There is a formula for pricing the ex demo models of 1% per 1000 miles plus so much per month. Does this mean a 100k miles demo would be free? He asks hopefully. The p85D must be incredible.

·
1,298 Posts
@Rory166 The demo formula is increased for those on the "old" hardware, but not sure if they applied that to demo models ex. USA.

Somehow I believe Tesla sells the car before it gets 100,000 miles. because, following that logic, I'll pick up the one with 100,001 miles and get the pennies back from Tesla for taking it off their hands.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
I tried the design studio last night and found it difficult to get the advertised price. Eventually I did manage to remove any options and get s60 down to 49340 pounds if memory serves. The s85 similarly over 56K but with supercharging I suppose this is the way to go. The 60 is not quite as quick despite being lighter obviously. There is a formula for pricing the ex demo models of 1% per 1000 miles plus so much per month. Does this mean a 100k miles demo would be free? He asks hopefully. The p85D must be incredible.
The 60 is plenty quick enough ;) Compared to most things on the road it flies, at least up until 60mph. Top end is also higher than listed, I've seen 125 on the speedo of mine (private track of course).

But for me you are right, the big difference is the SC enablement cost, in hindsight I'd now plump for an 85, for this alone. (And the access to CHAdeMO adapters this brings) This is my only regret, I don't do big miles, so range is perfectly adequate.

Time will tell if the Model 3 brings with it PAYG supercharging, if that happens I'd probably go for a 60 again. Otherwise, and if someone wanted an honest recommendation of what to buy today, I'd say go for an 85. If you live somewhere without off-street charging, again the 85 is a no-brainer.

At current usage, mine will be somewhere around 25k miles after 3 years, with leather and tech pack, it would make a great car for £25k which is what it will "owe me" then, but I'm cutting myself off from a big part of the London market that don't have offstreet charging, so I might struggle. Then again it will probably fall inside a £30k budget which increases the market... who knows, time will tell.

It's also worth bearing in mind there's a nasty sting in the tail coming courtesy of HMRC, if you run it as a company car. The £7K increase will be subject to BIK, this means I'd have to draw an additional £1.7k over 3 years out of my company to pay my increased tax liability and ERs NI. So the true cost for comparison between the two is nearer to £8.5k over 3 years (and worsening the longer you keep it)

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
In the US ex-demo pricing is list price minus 1% per month and $1 per mile. But they don't keep the cars for long - you'll never find one more than a few months old. To shift a few pre-autopilot models (i.e. outdated hardware) they recently increased that to 2% per month and $1 per mile.

I believe the formula in the UK is 1% per month and £0.50 per mile, but I'm not certain.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In the US ex-demo pricing is list price minus 1% per month and $1 per mile. But they don't keep the cars for long - you'll never find one more than a few months old. To shift a few pre-autopilot models (i.e. outdated hardware) they recently increased that to 2% per month and $1 per mile.

I believe the formula in the UK is 1% per month and £0.50 per mile, but I'm not certain.
Like Dennis I fancy one of the free ones. Seriously though the thought of a secondhand Tesla for 25k is possibly as good as it gets. Please let us know on the Forum Simon when the time comes. My experience of trade in was disappointing when I bought my Acenta Leaf I traded in a perfectly good 2011 BMW 320d but got not a lot for it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts