Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
A mix of anecdote and uninformed opinion. The article is encouraging in that Tesla is standing behind its product and is keeping owners mobile. It's not clear whether every Model S is subject to the milling problem or whether there are other variables but I would wager that Tesla is doing a huge amount of data analysis to identify the root cause of the problem.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Given the description, I'm convinced that your average Model S driver is never going to get near pushing the car hard enough to create the forces described. So yes, maybe a problem to be fixed, but how often do any of us use the full performance. If I had a model S I can pretty much guarantee that only once or twice in its life would I be doing 0-60 in 4.2 secs. Anyway, the cheapest short term fix is surely software? Slow the acceleration......user option.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Yes, like on a number of modded Japanese cars... "RACE MODE <ACTIVE>" ...

You can turn if off after you've finished scaring your friends...

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Given the description, I'm convinced that your average Model S driver is never going to get near pushing the car hard enough to create the forces described. So yes, maybe a problem to be fixed, but how often do any of us use the full performance. If I had a model S I can pretty much guarantee that only once or twice in its life would I be doing 0-60 in 4.2 secs. Anyway, the cheapest short term fix is surely software? Slow the acceleration......user option.
Which is why I wrote that I believe Tesla engineers are analysing data. They will look for a correlation between driver behaviour and time to failure; also for any standout attributes from the sub-component manufacturing process.

Tesla implemented a software fix following the first few collisions in which the batteries caught fire so there's a good chance they will try the same on this problem.

·
Super Moderator
7,452 Posts
So, the part that's wearing out is a part Tesla don't make, but buy. Sounds like an Engineering change will happen, or they'll buy the part from someone else...

Don't see why that leads evtv to believe its time to sell tesla shares, but there you go.

Reactions: Robwiz

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im actually not a fan of EVTV really but was interested in the article all the same, pretty sure Tesla are on it though and will get it sorted out, they could put a ramp on the inverter to soften the blow, OK it would dull the acceleration a little but would lengthen the life of the transmission.

I would also imagine that they swap the transmission out but the old transmissions (inverters and motors) are simply serviced, tested, coupled with a new gearbox and sent back out to repair others.

I also dont see the Model S residual dropping down as low as they suggested either, however its an interesting story, it is actually quite normal for products to be modified and altered as they are used and abused, crikey think about how many windows updates we have.

Its not going to stop me putting down a deposit anyway.

·
Super Moderator
7,452 Posts
Im actually not a fan of EVTV really but was interested in the article all the same...
Thing is, they're getting their knickers in a twist over a heavy car going fast. The Lexus GS450h weighs just over 4,100 pounds and gets to 60 in 5.something seconds, and has been around since 2005. Fine, maybe Tesla should use a redeisgned part, but this is not insurmountable.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have watched little bits of their show from time to time as I don’t have the time to sit through all of it, they are hardly laconic and tend to slowly droll on about stuff when they could make it much more interesting by whizzing through stuff. For a company like Tesla to do what they have done in the space of time that they have done these things its hardly surprising there are problems that are going to crop up, its how the company deal with them that’s the key, I don’t see the cost of fixing this bringing the company to its knees as its something that all auto manufacturers factor in to their business.

If as suspected the part that is failing is not manufactured by Tesla then part of the cost of replacement would be met by the third party anyway? and as for the motors and inverters there is little to go wrong in there, the inverter being the weakest link.

Key with any high value car is take the extended warranty, boss man at my old company took extended warranty on his jag a few years back, engine failed with just 1 week to go on the warranty, it would have cost him £40,000 to get it replaced had he not had the warranty.

Pretty sure they will beef this part up and replace them when needed, this also may only be a problem for the P85 spec cars? Maybe the fact that this problem has not been widely reported is that the wider world don’t think it is a problem and maybe it isn’t a problem?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Put this in context with other makers. A certain 4x4 maker with Indian connections has an issue with the gearbox on a smaller vehicle, some owners are on the 2nd+ replacement gearbox. There is so much of such failures througout the Auto industry, but most does not get the column inches that TESLA does.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts