Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did search and didn't see a tyre thread, feel free to point me in the right direction and I can ask for this to be deleted.

My car is a 90D has the 19" wheels and has had Michelin 245/45R19 Primacy 3 extra load tyres fitted from new, they have lasted quite well - after 7 months we are coming up to 11,000 miles and I reckon I will need to change them within the next month or so. I am pretty happy with this all things considered, I am starting to feel a bit of shimmy in the steering wheel at speed and the treads are approaching the limit.

I think they have done pretty well and may well just get the same again.

Whats the general view on this :
  • Any issues with using local garage / Kwikfit / ATS or mobile service to change out the tyres?
  • How much do Tesla charge for a straight change-out? I see they are about £230 each online ...
  • Has anyone tried any other brands of tyres or had any experiences worth sharing?
My nearest dealer is Birmingham and they are are a fair drive away (65 miles) so I would prefer to get them fitted by a local company unless there is a good reason not to .....

wub u!

Jolltax

·
Registered
96 Posts
  • Any issues with using local garage / Kwikfit / ATS or mobile service to change out the tyres?
No, been asked lots of times over on the FB group. Just make sure they know to stick the car in jack mode and to use the jacking points and not the battery!

Just did a search and the Primacy 3's are £196 a corner fitted via Black Circles, PS3's are £212.

Some in the FB group are saving even more money and going for budget brands based on the EU labelling.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Am I doing something wrong here? I'm on 37k and will get to 50k pretty easily on the same tyres:confused:

That aside I only use my local guys for tyres.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
11k for a set of tyres, really? Wow. That's pretty quick wear!

Reactions: ringi

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hehe, I don't think that's too bad, the roads where we are in Worcestershire are terrible, mind you.
Wow, not sure how you get 37k on a set of tyres, that's amazing.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
No I think it must be the norm! :rolleyes:
My rears are just down to the wear limit at nearly 37k

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Have you swapped your fronts with the rears yet? You should easily get 35k out of a set of 4 tyres of the same age. My car is the same age and mileage as yours and tyres are absolutely fine. Easily 20k left and then some.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Oh and for tyres I would absolutey recommend Avon. Mainly cos I know the directors but they do make some excellent tyres, in the UK and not that expensive.

Used a lot in lower formulas of motorsport and probably F1 one day....

·
Registered
296 Posts
I did search and didn't see a tyre thread, feel free to point me in the right direction and I can ask for this to be deleted.

My car is a 90D has the 19" wheels and has had Michelin 245/45R19 Primacy 3 extra load tyres fitted from new, they have lasted quite well - after 7 months we are coming up to 11,000 miles and I reckon I will need to change them within the next month or so. I am pretty happy with this all things considered, I am starting to feel a bit of shimmy in the steering wheel at speed and the treads are approaching the limit.

I think they have done pretty well and may well just get the same again.

Whats the general view on this :
  • How much do Tesla charge for a straight change-out? I see they are about £230 each online ...
  • Has anyone tried any other brands of tyres or had any experiences worth sharing?
My nearest dealer is Birmingham and they are are a fair drive away (65 miles) so I would prefer to get them fitted by a local company unless there is a good reason not to .....

wub u!

Jolltax
My original factory Primacy tires are finally shot, but I have 49,552 miles on them. That's on my early 2014 S85.

My winter tires (Nokkian R2s) have 27,882 miles on them and are going strong.

If you're only getting 11K miles on a non-performance model then something is seriously wrong with your alignment/camber etc.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the advice guys, I will speak to the dealer and check when I get home (away on business atm). Perhaps I do have an issue, but I suspect it may just be the type of roads and driving (although I wouldn't have said either myself or the wife are fast drivers). We never go on motorways most of our driving is on B roads and in our area they are in very bad condition riddled with pot-holes.

My previous vehicles were similar, my Audi Allroad and my both XC90's averaged about 10k miles on a set of tyres, they were obviously 4 wheel drive, about the same weight and with much less power. I don't think I have ever seen even 20k miles on a tyre on any car I have ever driven tbh!

Some great feedback, thanks!

J

·
Chartered Engineer
1,859 Posts
I changed my Michelin Primacy 3's at 29k miles for Nokian winters - the fronts had 2.5mm, the rears 3.5mm but the tyres have been rotated by Tesla I think during the service. I got mine swapped by a local tire fitter we've used for years and they did a perfect job. On my Prius I ran Nokian all season tires all year round but I may swap back to summer tyre for the Model S - possibly Nokians again because I've really been impressed with them as a tire.

·
Banned
4,591 Posts
@Jolltax What's your Wh/mile figures like??

In my younger days I use to get through a set of tyres in 8-10k and brake pads at 15K.

Since my daughters arrival my driving has been much more sedate, 14k in the Leaf and the tread had worn by about 1mm.....Not sure if that trend will stay on the X though :)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Just got new summer tires (all season) for my S after getting 49.5K miles on my original ones. Went with the Pirelli Cinturato P7. Still early but love them so far.

·
1,534 Posts

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Mine are OK at 19k miles, can't see them getting me to 50k miles though.

My use is mainly urban traffic. (with lots of traffic lights :) )

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My decision on this has been hastened by a puncture :

Picked up this chap yesterday so I called out a mobile repairer, he repaired the tyre but then proceeded to tell me that all four of my tyres needed replacing (which I kind of knew) - he also mentioned that the wear pattern suggests I need my wheels aligning. Here is the offending item, ouch :

Has anyone had wheel alignment done at a local tyre shop? I imagine its pretty straightforward.

I got quotes for different tyres and am considering the following :

Michelin : £181
Continental : £182
Dunlop : £170

All fitted inc VAT

I'll change all four at the same time, at the moment I am thinking of putting Michelins on again as they are the OEM supplied tyre.

Cheers big ears

J

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just ordered full set of new Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2 tyres (£189 each fitted) and will have my alignment checked while its in. Michelin Primacy 3 on back-order and local tyre places don't seem to be able to get them.

Having them fitted tomorrow (Wednesday 2nd May)

Cheers big ears

J

·
Registered
780 Posts
My understanding is that alignment check and adjustment is included as part of the annual Tesla service.

So if you have that coming up in the next few months anyway maybe you can get both done at once...

1 - 20 of 56 Posts