Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UK is still far behind of many countries in the Electric Revolution despite of its huge potential for the mass market for Electric Cars. Its population is quite wealthy and unfortunately every car cost you here the same amount as in US, but in pounds - at least 60% more expensive. UK is famous for its style, fashion and tech innovation, but it has never really transpired into the huge drive for electric cars yet. Which is quite surprising, as petrol prices here are 1.4 pound/l or more than 8 USD/gallon.

I think I know the answer and it is coming tomorrow with Tesla Model S - UK was just waiting for The Real Electric Car here "like the normal one, but better!"

image.jpg

http://kirillklip.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/tesla-model-s-uk-invasion-starts.html

·
Registered
167 Posts
I think I know the answer and it is coming tomorrow with Tesla Model S - UK was just waiting for The Real Electric Car here "like the normal one, but better!".

Unfortunately the car is somewhat large for the UK. This, together with its price will influence the sales potential. We will have to wait to see whether the appeal is enough to overcome the negatives.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Unfortunately the car is somewhat large for the UK. This, together with its price will influence the sales potential. We will have to wait to see whether the appeal is enough to overcome the negatives.
You could say that of 99% of the cars at the school drop off and various kids leisure activities we do... apparently you NEED a massive car if you have even a single, small child.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
The model e will sell better as it will be a nice size, but it's still a shame as I know I can't afford a £35000 price tag.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Its funny because I can get 130miles out of my zoe, it has a massive boot holds 5 people it's quick, and it's 14k so is 70miles more worth 21k more not to sure. I would have one

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I hope transport evolved or someone covers the launch. Could be some sunday night viewing on youtube !

·
Registered
2,171 Posts

Doesn't that Model S look cool with a UK number plate on it - AT LAST :)

I'm excited about it all and I'm not even getting a bloody Model S!!

·
Registered
340 Posts
The model e will sell better as it will be a nice size, but it's still a shame as I know I can't afford a £35000 price tag.
£35K I think you're a bit a light there - try doubling it!

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
£35K I think you're a bit a light there - try doubling it!
You can buy a Tesla Model S for £50,250 so you don't need to spend £70K.

The post by @Eunicholas relates to the Gen III car (formerly "Model E") which has a target price $30-40K (see confirmation from Tesla Facebook site below) and we're assuming will be £35K in the UK.

IMO we should start talking about the Model S as having a £50K+ price point. £70K is misleading and understates the huge reduction in cost from the first generation Tesla Roadster.

Screen Shot 2014-06-08 at 13.21.18.png

Edit: Musk has confirmed £25K target for Gen III :D

Within three years, he said, he wants to release a car with a similar range priced at about £25,000. But he promises there will be no compromising on performance. "We're never going to release an ugly car. We want it to look good, to feel good, to have good acceleration, handling, everything."

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/motoring/features/elon-musk-its-always-the-quiet-ones-9506963.html

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I'm just saying £70k because that's what it would cost me when I specced my Tesla Model S ready for the lottery win :)

But you are right in what your saying... People are forgetting you can pick one up for £50k if you can stop yourself from adding options.

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
Unfortunately £50k doesn't get you all the things that people like to say are special about the Model S (like SuperCharging and the range), so it's not really fair, but I take the point.

I'm not sure I understand all the hot-air about the Model-E in 4 years time though. Seems like a tactic to scare people away from the competition, because, you know, Tesla might have a car one day. I'll be more impressed once they actually ship the car rather than hinting at it all the time.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Unfortunately £50k doesn't get you all the things that people like to say are special about the Model S (like SuperCharging and the range), so it's not really fair, but I take the point.

I'm not sure I understand all the hot-air about the Model-E in 4 years time though. Seems like a tactic to scare people away from the competition, because, you know, Tesla might have a car one day. I'll be more impressed once they actually ship the car rather than hinting at it all the time.
agree the 50k models is a basic car, no tech package, no 85kw battery. I think those are you starting point which makes the car more like 60k

with regards to the model E, I think the reason they keep mentioning it is the journalists keep rolling out the "is this just a play thing for the wealthy", that forces Elon to explain the idea of using profits from one generation to fund the next leap forward.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts