Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

If money was not an issue at all would you prefer the Tesla Model S over the Vauxhall Ampera?

• Yes, without any reservations in spite of it being 100% electric

Votes: 32 74.4%
  • Yes, with reservations over range and where to charge

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Don't know. Need more information

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, uncertain of charging infrastructure

• No, don't want range anxiety

• No, wrong style/size of car for me

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • No, don't trust Tesla as long term manufacturer

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Other (please post your thoughts :) )

• Total voters
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always said that I would NOT want a Tesla Model S because it is too big for me but I have to say that now I have seen more of it that is changing and if the charging infrastructure was there then I could be persuaded even at that price!

Have a look at this super video and you might see what I mean...

EDIT: added NOT - missed it out on original post.

·
Premium Member
11,048 Posts
I think your subconscious made you miss the NOT initially - you want one really ;-) [So do I, but a bit out of my price bracket...]

·
schlussel
458 Posts
I always said that I would NOT want a Tesla Model S because it is too big for me but I have to say that now I have seen more of it that is changing and if the charging infrastructure was there then I could be persuaded even at that price!

Have a look at this super video and you might see what I mean...

EDIT: added NOT - missed it out on original post.
Paul , I tried using your link, but it didn't work. I copied the 'R0CBJQw5rvw' and it curiously came up with 2 videos! One was for a 1984 Honda Civic, and the other was a 4 year old video for a Tesla. It is a very different car to the one in the video, which I suspect may have been one of the originals.

However, you mentioned you were concerned about the charging infrastructure. Good point, and possibly the weakest area of the EV conversion argument. But just like the video, things have improved a lot since then. The U.K. public Rapid charging network (the complete network would be too busy) now looks like

Attachments

·
schlussel
458 Posts
And on top of that, the European Tesla network looks like

Attachments

·
schlussel
458 Posts
Agreed there are still some areas that are less well served, but you might struggle to get to somewhere that was not within 10 miles or so from some form of EV Charge point (using Wales, or the Western Highlands is cheating). And it's getting better all the time.

I am often asked for the downsides of owning a Tesla. The purchase price is always there; it was nearly twice what I had ever paid for a new car, and did require quite a large intake of breath.

Potentially repairs is another. But I hope to avoid too many of them.

There are some compelling arguments that can be made for buying an EV. But not for a Tesla. Buying a Tesla is a separate decision completely. It's a bit like deciding to buy a Porsche or a Ferrari or a Rolls Royce; there are cheaper options available. People buy it because it is the best. But if someone is considering spending that sort of money (on a top end 7 Series, or a top end E Class, or S Class,) then frankly, it's an easy pitch to make; the running costs, the performance, the environmental aspects, are all difficult counter.

Apologies for the three posts. My technical expertise just ain't up to it.

·
schlussel
458 Posts
Ha! What a good spot. And here was me thinking Paul had changed his spots.

I wonder why the post has appeared on page 1?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Iain, you have excelled yourself. Well done.

Is a necro point something you get for digging up the dead? Iain, are you Jekyll or Hyde?

·
schlussel
458 Posts
You're asking me a question? Very brave.

So glad I wasn't tempted to make some clever clogs comment about out of date information.

The old mantra of be polite whenever you can, rings true once again.

·
schlussel
458 Posts
Oh the shame! :notworthy:(n):censored:

·
schlussel
458 Posts
It's internet lingo that those young people use on their internets, not offensive in any way tbh
What are young people doing on a forum like this!

(Laughing at their elders, yep I get it)

For all the older readers, the ones that recognise an old ditter when they see one, and are considering a Tesla (or an EV), the points about the charging network are up to date. It's good now, and isn't really a reason not to convert, to a Tesla, or an EV.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts