Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I've just placed an order for Model X 75D expecting delivery in March, super excited! Moving from a Zoe to Model X will be quite the jump lol

What I'm wondering is what the real world range will be in the UK? I appreciate of course the range of different aspects that affect the range but any real world examples in your own cases will still give a good idea.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Congrats on your order!

Easily 200miles I suspect.

Here's the longest drive (in miles driven in one go) I've done yet on a MX 75D (obviously on a private road at the end there!) as I've not had the car too long,

Gzoom did some long trips recently I'm sure he will chip in soon!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's impressive at those speeds and outside temperature!

If I can get 200 miles just commuting back and forth to central London (13 mile each way) in winter that's plenty for me! If I can throw in some fun private road driving then so much better!!

·
Registered
893 Posts
Lots of short journeys will give you less range than one long one. Every time you use the car, it uses energy to warm up the cabin and in the Tesla, the batteries too. So you're unlikely to get 200 miles worth of 13 miles each way morning and evening because of the energy drain from all the cold starts. Also, if you use pre-heat before driving it'll be even less.

You should have found similar with the Zoe, reduced range with short journeys, but decent overall distance on a longer trip.

Enjoy the new X though, I'm sure it'll be fantastic.

·
Banned
4,591 Posts
On long trips (>100 miles non stop) I've found our 75D X to be surprisingly efficient. I've lost count the number of >100 miles trips I've done this winter where as in the Leaf I managed just 1 >100 mile trip in 2 years of ownership!! If you stay at 70mph your see just under 3 miles per kWh. That's with heating on, lights etc. 200 miles is about the max limit you want to push things without risking arriving <5% charge. In summer I reckon 220 miles+ will be easy, may be even 250+ if you adopt Nissan Leaf driving style :LOL:.

Efficiency on short trips is not as good in current weather, as the X has a massive cabin to heat up along with battery, so you have a large 'departure tax' every time you start the car up from cold. 2-2.5 miles per kWh is what am seeing currently in coldest weather and lots of 10 miles trips. However because the nature of short trips mean the distances covered is small, consumption really doesn't matter, which means you can also have a heavy right foot and in all effect makes no difference, as at the end of the day you simply plug in with no worries about range :)

Enjoy the X, now that the 75Ds have nearly the same performance as the 90/100D cars I really struggle to fault our X.

My only temptation is a bigger battery some point in the future, as they say you can never have enough range. The step up from the Zoe is quite dramatic in every way, I drove my mother-in laws Zoe recently, it felt like a toy car in comparison, you really see the size difference when the two are parked next to each other!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's super! That picture of the X and the Zoe speaks volumes in terms of size!! Zoe is quite the toy but I really e noted the 2 years I've had if, it's been fantastic commuter car and worked out cheaper then my travel card. I was getting 3.3 mpkw in the winter and 4.7 mpkwh in the summer, so I'm guessing in those kind of driving I might even crack the 250, I managed 112 out of my 22 kw in the Zoe :p

The longest single journey I do on an irregular basis is 100 miles so it's enough if I can do that in all conditions.

Is that a Chargemaster/Polar home charger cable in the X? I was wondering if it will fit as the Tesla charger looks really skinny.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Congrats on your order!

Easily 200miles I suspect.

Here's the longest drive (in miles driven in one go) I've done yet on a MX 75D (obviously on a private road at the end there!) as I've not had the car too long,

Gzoom did some long trips recently I'm sure he will chip in soon!
What software is that doing that trip logging?

·
Banned
4,591 Posts
70mph run down the M1 and than 6 miles of inner city traffic. 53% SOC on arrival, which would translate to 240 miles real life range :).

·
Banned
4,591 Posts
Taking things easy on the way from Leicester to Leeds today (Leaf style driving), arrived 15 minutes later than Google prediction so wasn't too bad. Result is 100-0% range prediction 259 miles - ban on NEDC rating, and better than EPA rating.

Home run tomorrow is more down hill, so lets see if I can beat NEDC rating :).

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Real world range is not the same as in perfect conditions what you can eek out.

Gang, in one of your pictures you show long term average as over 400wh/m - that would mean a full to empty of about 180 miles.

The second reality is arriving at your destination on zero is far far from comfortable. If you work on the last 5% or say 10 miles as a minimum reserve that would be real world. It’s also recommended not charging above 90% which is 20miles off the top. We’re at a real world working range of 150 miles. Yes, you will get a bit more out of it on a long straight steady run in summer, but not every day is like that.

I’d prefer new owners heard the reality not the special cases when asking about real world mileage.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I’d prefer new owners heard the reality not the special cases when asking about real world mileage.
This. And the effect of a rainy winter day should always be mentioned.

Caveat - the daytime motorway network in England is largely a de-facto 50mph one now, whether by "managed motorway", roadworks, or congestion. On this, very impressive numbers can be achieved.

·
Banned
4,591 Posts
Real world range is not the same as in perfect conditions what you can eek out.

Gang, in one of your pictures you show long term average as over 400wh/m - that would mean a full to empty of about 180 miles.
But you also know as well as me unless someone is doing 200 miles a day every day efficency day to day is meaningless, especially if you have overnight charging.

I'm current seeing under 300Wh/mile on long runs, that equates to near 250 mile range, which on UK road is over 4hrs of non stop driving. Yes thats not doing 80mph, but 65mph which acutally means arriving all of 10 mintues later than Google predictions.

What matter much more is winter range, but than most people are not looking to do long family trips in snow/rain unless 100% needed. This winter I never charged above 90% and never arrived home with less than 30%.

But that need to do long non stop trips does arise on occasions, which is why we haven't got rid of the Lexus, because even a 100D S hasnt got the range to cover a 250-300 mile round trip in winter. However those number of thoses trips we do is tiny compared to summer road trips, for the vast majority familes a 200 mile range EV in the UK is more than enough.

·
Banned
4,591 Posts
@Jon G If efficency ratings over different conditions is kind of thing your into (think panel gaps but with number), than the X is one of the most interesting cars around...

I took delivery of our current X 30th of September last year, so the majority of the miles has been done in the cooler UK weather, especially when you take into for most of June I was in a XC60 loaner whilst my car waited for some door sensors.

Its only last few weeks since doing long runs I've had a chance to gauge summer range. As you can see at 65mph, aircon on, the car is returning 25% better efficency than overall life time average. But the really 'interesting' part is the last 30 mile consumption, despite been summer, driving in my normal commuter route the consumption is not far off what I was seeing in winter, and much worse than what I was seeing on long runs - which for the most part was at sub 300Wh/mile till we hit city traffic.

All cars are more efficent at a constant speed when compared to start/stop traffic. But the X has by far the biggest variation I've seen.

Having said that it may just because I haven't owned a SUV type car before, the diesel XC60 loaner I had returned barely above 20mpg in commuter traffic, which is worse than my old V6 NA petrol 350Z!!!

So the answer to 'real life range' for a X is pretty complicated, but it essentially comes down to when do you actually need max range - and for most people max range only matter on long trips, which in the case of our X I would say would be 200 miles in winter 250 miles in summer, take 10% for 'comfort' and 180 in winter 220 in summer. For our use this kind of nonstop range is fine.

If you have no home charging however its a different issue, you than have to take into account vampire drain as well, in which case you might struggle to get even 100 miles from our X if split over a dozen trips, different days, over winter.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
We can certainly agree that its complicated, but having bought my first MS nearly 3 years ago when the 90 range extender to the 85 as it was called then came out and I was assured that with it the car could do the 230 mile round trip to Leeds with ease, and it never once even came close, I think people need to hear the good and the not so good. Its nothing to do whether its better or worse than other cars.

A guy was asking a month or so back a similar question as he drives around north wales for work. He does about 200 miles in a day, but visiting different places for an hour or so at a time. He'd have been well and truly stuck if he'd bought a 75D, nowhere realistic to charge, and lots of stop start journeys. How you or I or anyone else use their cars, and where we drive, are all unique, one size doesn't fit all. That's all I'm really saying.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts