1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bikes and skis at least...

tesla-model-x-email.png

Image via electrek

The headline is that it can tow, and is the first BEV to make that claim. However the phrasing of that email makes me wonder if it will be a "proper" towing capability or an "accessory" option with limited potential applications?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I like the model X but would prefer a version with normal rear doors, wonder how they are going to fair in multi story car parks with low overhead pipes etc

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like the model X but would prefer a version with normal rear doors, wonder how they are going to fair in multi story car parks with low overhead pipes etc
I once hit the tailgate of our S-Max on the ceiling of a multi-storey, nearly cried.

Didn't even do any damage, but was distressing enough without it being a car I particularly cared for. :(

·
Super Moderator
7,508 Posts
I think it's going to have to have a -lot- of ultrasound sensors to avoid damage in all situations, but we'll see. Perhaps it will just be over-cautious and simply not open if there's anything in the vicinity (emergency override will of course exist)?

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Elon Musk tweeted today that it will definately have falcon doors to squash rumours that it won't.

I suspect this will be way to big for the UK market (even more so than the Model S).

·
Super Moderator
7,508 Posts
Elon Musk tweeted today that it will definately have falcon doors to squash rumours that it won't.

I suspect this will be way to big for the UK market (even more so than the Model S).
Model S is 15.7cm shorter than a Jaguar XJ, and 8.2cm wider. The LWB XJ is even longer. Sure, it's big, but it's a big luxury/sports saloon. The Model X is a large luxury/sports SUV, it will be about the size of a Q7 or a Range Rover. They sell fine here, considering the price.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Model S is 15.7cm shorter than a Jaguar XJ, and 8.2cm wider. The LWB XJ is even longer. Sure, it's big, but it's a big luxury/sports saloon. The Model X is a large luxury/sports SUV, it will be about the size of a Q7 or a Range Rover. They sell fine here, considering the price.
It's the width rather than the length that is a pain for typical UK parking spaces !

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Ditto.

Not sure if the specs are announced yet, but generally multi-storey car parks are 2m headroom at the barrier, with maybe 8ft ceilings above the bays. I know the doors articulate, but I'd also worry about the width.

TBH it felt really tight parking my old Navara in one, and I generally avoided if possible.

You often could only just open the door a fraction, and wriggle out the gap. So the falcon doors could end up being a real pita.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The whole point of the falcon doors is to reduce the width required when open. As I understand it, the Model X will be more accessible in tight quarters than the Model S: similar width, but the doors lift up, rather than out. If your side mirrors fit, you can open the falcon doors.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
The whole point of the falcon doors is to reduce the width required when open. As I understand it, the Model X will be more accessible in tight quarters than the Model S: similar width, but the doors lift up, rather than out. If your side mirrors fit, you can open the falcon doors.
Elon states it opens within the space a person could fit. (The arc of the door looks _MUCH_ wider than the wing mirrors when it gets above waist height). Judging by the video, that person (Elon) is fully side on, so shoulder width, or 18". For people to get out both sides, you'd need a 3m wide bay. It just doesn't happen here. Maybe 2.4m if you are really lucky, though most are not much wider than an S.

The optimum functional (and much more cost effective solution, within the constraints of a UK parking space, is sliding doors. Of course then the X would then look more mini-van than SUV, and not sell.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
The big question: is it more, or less of a problem than the i8? I would suggest it is less of a problem, seeing the launch video...

·
Registered
Kona SE
964 Posts
The headline is that it can tow, and is the first BEV to make that claim. However the phrasing of that email makes me wonder if it will be a "proper" towing capability or an "accessory" option with limited potential applications?
All we need is enough to drag an ICE out of the charging bay:).

Seriously, I have to admit that this is the first Tesla that interests me as a practical car. It will be way out of my price range but it is breaking down the barriers of what is possible. It will be sold on the rear doors:rolleyes: but these are perhaps distractions from the fact that it has 7 seat + luggage capacity and a significant battery capacity.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
People can always get out of the back before parking - not an option for the i8 driver

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
People can always get out of the back before parking - not an option for the i8 driver
I can't wait for the i8 convertible. Even in my Elise which is much narrower, it's often easier to climb in/out when the roof's off, rather than open the door in a narrow bay ;)

But yes you are right, and it's a common tactic I employ in my S. Sometimes even the front passenger too, so I can park a little more offset in the bay.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Should come with free Costco membership. They should also install superchargers at Costco.

It's the only place I think you're guaranteed wide enough spaces. :D
As I read through this thread, that was exactly my thought. No problem parking at Costco! ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts