Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sons boss has owned a model x from new for about 2 years. It's been maintained by Tesla. Whenever it's needed anything, which I believe has been minimal, it's been done. She's never had an accident nor does she drive it hard. Today, she was at work for 5.30 am and after about 30 minutes she heard a funny noise in the car park. When she looked out at her model x it was on fire. 25 minutes later when the fire brigade arrived, it was destroyed. I have seen stuff like this on the internet but usually they have been in an accident or something previously. She wasn't charging it, it was just parked.

It's quite alarming really, I know cars burst into flames occasionally and in ICE cars it's often due to some aftermarket electrical work etc or lack of maintenance from what I have seen/heard. I know BMW have had a number of fires due to a battery earthing cable issue etc.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I know Tesla’s have a large market share with EVs but doesn’t this seem to happen more with them than other manufacturers?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think Tesla sell a lot of EV's compared to other manufacturers. This doesn't excuse these events really but I suppose EV's are still in their infancy so maybe 'growing pains' are to be expected. I suppose that the media will be 'all over' this kind of event but it's no different to the VAG 'diesel-gate' or Toyota recall style thing. It's all easy news, little effort needed etc. The answer to this really must be with Tesla admitting that they have a problem, fixing it and moving on. Head in the sand denials are a bit silly in my book but each to their own. For me this is easy, deliver the wreckage back to Tesla and ask for the money back, it certainly fails consumer laws in Europe, it's definitely not fit for purpose. Sad thing is, I think this has put her off buying anther EV.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I totally agree self-combustible cars are no fun and should be investigated and re-mediated of course. I do agree with @AndrewC though, you would probably not have heard about it or posted about it if she drove a i3. Real statistics are hard to come by without official channels.

FWIW - I'm only aware of one other self-combusting "no-fault" car in the UK, ModelS in ~2015 via several degrees of separation the rumor was Tesla then gave you a nice NDA to sign, any damage made good and you get a freebie to pick whatever spec you want as a priority. Those were different times though if it is a true story.

·
Well-Loved Member
985 Posts
Real statistics are hard to come by without official channels.
The official HLDI report is a free download. It details how the Model X goes up in smoke at twice the rate of segment rivals and accounts for seven times the losses. This report, together with class action lawsuits and petition from the NHTA's Office of Defects, means the appearance of misleading counter arguments, ICE whataboutery, general cheerleading and grief-stricken diatribes on staggering press bias from the likes of CleanTechnica and InsideEVs - who are as staggeringly biased as anything you will ever read, anywhere - is ironically what makes reality harder to see.

·
Registered
13,849 Posts
Tesla doesn’t look like they’re about to go bust, so now we need to spread FUD about them catching on fire.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
It is hard to be sure that you provide the correct link to someone else's assertion, but here is a link to an HLDI Fire Report from December 2018 which doesn't rate the Model X as the worst SUV, and SUVs are no where near as bad as performance vehicles.

I have no axe to grind either way on this subject so would be interested to see the report that the PFoJ is referring to or how I have misinterpreted this report. Perhaps I'm part of the JPF .....

·
Registered
13,849 Posts
So 10 claims in 35,876. Not really a huge sample and doesn't tell you what the cause was.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts