Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering, with the Model S ticking so many boxes in terms of range and fun, what are the expected or predicted performance figures for the Model X?

Being billed as more of an answer for families I wonder if they'll dial it back. However at the same time I know plenty of mums, dads and grandparents who would be encouraged, not put off, by Model S like performance.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Nothing confirmed yet but based on the model s battery and drive unit, however will be AWD so must have a performance/range hit.

Hope they do a version without the falcon wing doors as I really dont see them working in low UK carparks

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Going to be very interesting to see. The X will probably be a heavier car and with the space to load in some serious mass, I wonder if AWD is needed to make the thing work. (The maximum load of the S is surprisingly low - 409kg for occupants and cargo).

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Going to be very interesting to see. The X will probably be a heavier car and with the space to load in some serious mass, I wonder if AWD is needed to make the thing work. (The maximum load of the S is surprisingly low - 409kg for occupants and cargo).
Eh? 409kg for occupants AND cargo. Seems mighty low indeed. Ignoring the cargo, and subtracting me that would leave 301kg between the four or six remaining seats.

Is that a typo or maybe its just designed for two normal chaps and their 3 supermodel girlfriends?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Nothing confirmed yet but based on the model s battery and drive unit, however will be AWD so must have a performance/range hit.

Hope they do a version without the falcon wing doors as I really dont see them working in low UK carparks
Would a UK parking Garage have a lower ceiling than your typical US home variety? going by the pic of the car with doors up inside an "up and over" garage,it looks ok..

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I love the S, but wouldn't dream of buying an X. I suspect I'm not alone.

My view is it's an American product necessary for them to make big sales in their largest market. I view it as a stepping stone vehicle along their business plan.

The falcon doors are form over function, if access was the primary goal they'd make them sliding!

Here the only practical reason you'd buy a big suv was because you needed the towing capacity, something that I doubt would work given the battery tech from the S.

Saying that Range Rovers are ten a penny round here, and doubtless bought for prestige over practicality. Not sure Tesla has the brand to overthrow Range Rover yet. The only saving grace is the tax economics. Currently a RR of similar performance would cost £876 a year in road tax alone!

State side Range Rover have a much less glossy reputation, being viewed as very unreliable vehicle.

The model 3 however, is much more sensible here in the UK \ EU.

For me a high performance 3 would tempt me out of my S. But then I prefer an M3 over an M5.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Eh? 409kg for occupants AND cargo. Seems mighty low indeed. Ignoring the cargo, and subtracting me that would leave 301kg between the four or six remaining seats.

Is that a typo or maybe its just designed for two normal chaps and their 3 supermodel girlfriends?
Lol! Actually, the motor isn't the problem, it's more down to the tyres. Here's the ratings plate from my car:

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
I expect it's performance to rock, and to outsell the Porsche Cayenne!

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
What will be really interesting is whether it tops out at 85kwh or if it gets bumped up to the 110kwh range, retaining 250+ miles range and with a sneaky AWD performance boost.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Interesting! Guess options may affect this as well as the lighter battery? Have you got the pano roof?

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
The Model X is clearly aimed at the US market and will be of wider interest than the Model S as a family all-rounder. I'd expect the motors/batteries to be the same (maximising cost efficiencies and making life simpler for after sales) and the performance and range will be what it is given the higher kerb weight and drag coefficient.

I can't see the odd rear doors being an asset in the UK market place.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe MK is odd (maybe?!) but I see a lot of big-ol' cars driving around when really a fiesta or smaller would do the job being asked of it. I can see the Model X being a surprisingly successful model for Tesla over here, if they pitch it right.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
There's undoubtedly a niche for large SUV-type vehicles in the UK. They will probably be the school run vehicle of choice in some parts of the southeast.

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
There's undoubtedly a niche for large SUV-type vehicles in the UK. They will probably be the school run vehicle of choice in some parts of the southeast.
33k Range Rovers newly registered in the UK last year, 122k Fiestas. Don't under-estimate the demand for this type of vehicle!

Are they the practical sports/lifestyle/off road things people think they are? No. Are they an efficient way to travel? No. Do people (with money) like them? Yes. I'd much rather see 0 diesel range rovers registered and a whole bunch of Model X's registered than get on my high horse and try telling people they don't "need" an SUV.

Reactions: Paul

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
33k Range Rovers newly registered in the UK last year, 122k Fiestas. Don't under-estimate the demand for this type of vehicle!

Are they the practical sports/lifestyle/off road things people think they are? No. Are they an efficient way to travel? No. Do people (with money) like them? Yes. I'd much rather see 0 diesel range rovers registered and a whole bunch of Model X's registered than get on my high horse and try telling people they don't "need" an SUV.
In our economy people have the freedom to choose how they allocate their wealth and I don't have a problem with that. I agree that every Model X registered instead of a diesel SUV is a good thing.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
The one and only sensible thing Jeremy Clarkson has ever said (paraphrasing):
"Large SUVs are like nuclear weapons - once a few people get them for the school run, everyone has to have them in order to feel safe - a form of deterrence through MADness (mutually assured destruction)"

1 - 20 of 20 Posts