Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car Vehicle Land vehicle Vehicle registration plate Grille

Don't take my word for it.

Kudos Car Wow for comparing like for like spec which exposes the gulf between base price and actual road price with options.

Great review

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 LR. Mini Electric on order
1,150 Posts
It illustrates the gulf in efficiency between Tesla and the rest - but then the Y is a chunk less efficient than the 3. I so wish there was an electric estate car somewhere between the MG5 and the Taycan!

·
Registered
Tesla Model Y, 2022
772 Posts
View attachment 161716

Don't take my word for it.

Kudos Car Wow for comparing like for like spec which exposes the gulf between base price and actual road price with options.

Great review
I have tried both the etron and the volvo xc40 recharge. It is far too silent and comfortable than any Tesla. If money and efficiency is not a concern then Audi etron would give you the best 140 miles drive on a full charge. That volvo xc40 on the other hand is a car that shouldn't exist. It is a car even Volvo ICE owners do not like.

·
Premium Member
Some EVs or other
9,746 Posts
I quite like Matt’s CarWow videos, and not just the EV ones, he’s entertaining.

He mentioned in one of his recent ones that you can now buy a Tesla via CarWow, he’s always been pretty positive about them and both he and his mother own one I believe.

Still, if efficiency is top of your list in an electric SUV, and you don’t mind the downsides then the Y is pretty compelling.

The list prices as tested you need to be careful with, the press cars are usually loaded with every option available, and will have things that the others don’t have etc and wouldn’t be specced that way by buyers usually. The Volvo and Audi have metallic paint for starters that is an expensive option on the Y.

I’d go for the Volvo out of those three I think, must be the bit of Swede in me! 😂

·
Registered
12,103 Posts
I'm always a bit suspicious of road test data, TBH. I often get the feeling that the results aren't well-matched to real-world numbers. I first spotted this when magazine road tests were slating the Prius mpg around the time I bought my first one in 2005, quoting numbers that were way lower than I was getting. Happened again when I bought a Prius PHEV in 2013, I was averaging around 135mpg when the road tests were giving figures around half this. Best I ever got with my Model 3 was about 4.1 miles/kWh (in summer), maybe 3.5 miles/kWh in winter. Pretty good, but not really that great, I used to get around 4.2 miles/kWh from the i3, and that's far from being an efficient or aerodynamic car.

I expected to see a massive drop in efficiency when I sold the Model 3 and bought an i-Pace, as the i-Pace is well-known to be an energy hog. TBH, it's nowhere near as bad as I expected, in the 14 months I've had it it's averaged around 3.8 miles/kWh. Curiously, unlike the Model 3 or the i3, the winter energy efficiency doesn't seem to drop that much over summer. No idea why, I can only assume that it doesn't use as much on peripheral stuff. Certainly the Model 3 is a bugger for using energy when not doing anything, all that processing power uses around 200 W to 300 W, just to provide the impressive graphics.

Frankly efficiency doesn't really bother me now, as both our cars have been running for free since the end of March. Both are sitting at 100% now, which is annoying, as the forecast is for more sun tomorrow and over the next couple of days, and we've no plans for any long trips to take advantage of free charging when we get back.

·
Premium Member
Some EVs or other
9,746 Posts
The thing is, everybody gets their own figures for their own driving style and journeys.

Our ID.4 GTX is closest to that Audi e-tron in both size and power, yet I don’t really know how I’d have to be driving it to get 2.9 miles per kWh. My average over nearly 4000 miles now is 3.4 and mine spends a lot of time at, ahem, ‘motorway speeds’.

The M3 is averaging 3.7 now over the last 12 months, my wife drives it the most and she quite frankly drives it without any regard to economy so I suppose that’s pretty good.

·
Registered
12,103 Posts
I think my Model 3 averaged around the same, around 3.7 to 3.8 miles/kWh, over the 16 months I owned it. It wasn't any better than the i3 I owned before it, TBH, just as the i-Pace isn't significantly worse, seems to be pretty much the same, for the driving I do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts