Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 290 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
Hmm strange. I suppose we could take a guess that ecotricity have an exclusivity contract with moto or welcome break and that Tesla want in. Seems a bit odd that ecotricity are putting in an injunction, but also that Tesla not only want in on whatever sites but they want ecotricity out too.

All sounds very odd, hopefully it's just a storm in a teacup and we'll all get what we want which is multiple SC's and triplexes at all motorway sites.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All sounds very odd, hopefully it's just a storm in a teacup and we'll all get what we want which is multiple SC's and triplexes at all motorway sites.
Does sound odd. I guess our road system adds different challenges with regards charging locations, shame as I would love to see a few "proper" Tesla Supercharger stations popping up around the place. And not just at Welcome Break and co.

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
Well the WB sites are big enough, they could easily transform 12 bays near the back to SCs without affecting anything.

I wonder if it's a political thing, ecotricity don't want to damage the relationships they've built, but Tesla want to be radical (i.e. demanding power supply upgrades, moving service cabinets, installing large numbers of bays). I think radical has to win here, there's no time left for baby steps.

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
If Tesla force sites to remove Ecotricity chargers then we will see Tesla in a new and very nasty light. I hope the story is wrong!
Actually maybe this is it, welcome break won't give up more spaces or install additional electrical capacity, so Tesla want the spaces/power for themselves. Maybe it's a shock move to push ecotricity into further action...?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Actually maybe this is it, welcome break won't give up more spaces or install additional electrical capacity, so Tesla want the spaces/power for themselves. Maybe it's a shock move to push ecotricity into further action...?
Thats the biggest problem everyone skips over. The electrical supply is simply not there and costs major bucks to upgrade. Plenty of cases of 100kw chargers being "tuned down" to 50kw max as the supply can't take it.

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
Well between then I guess ecotricity and tesla need to stump up the cash to make it happen. The motorway sites will need 8 megawatt connections at some point anyway.

·
Registered
625 Posts
And the ecotricity business model for paying for a national grid upgrade is?

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
It's a DNO upgrade, but the point is well made. Lead times on such upgrades go in quarters and not weeks, and are not cheap.

It would be extremely interesting to study the load factor of an XkW charger to see how close to X*8760kWh it supplied over the course of a year. Max Demand supply contracts (which this would be) have a large component relating directly to "the size of yer pipe", not just how much flows down it.

If the load factor is too low, there's no business case for a rapid charger to sustain itself. But I don't yet know what "too low" is.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Yes sad to hear this but not surprised, a typical Tesla Supercharger site would need a mega watt of power and I guess many sites just dont have that on tap, we hear a lot about Tesla being picked on in the US state to state, this is the first time we have heard about Tesla being the playground bully though?

I am sure that legally Ecotricty must have a pretty sound case here, I am guessing that what is happening is the business's involved are being contacted by Tesla and saying Ecotricity are paying you x amount a year and are probably offering 5 times more? then of course they go back to Ecotricity and are like well next year the rents going up.

Like all things it will come down to who has the fattest wallet, the sad thing is though that the public will see prime sites taken over by Tesla, enquire about how much one of these new cars is and think hmm I will stick with what I have.

I was so looking forward to Tesla coming over here but not in this way, a bloody shame.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I don't see where it says telsa is trying to push out ecotricity, its trying to break the exclusivity. Exclusivity is never good for the consumer in the long run

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I think you are right John I dont think Tesla want Ecotricity out they just want in and will offer more money which many would say is bad for the consumer in this case because the consumer overridingly arent Tesla owners, we will have to see, if they can get the power at these sites then we can all be happy cant we?

It may be a good thing if they can come to a deal on this, heck I wouldnt mind if Tesla wanted the bays at the front of the services and we were all put out the back? if it meant maybe Tesla would fund the power supply issue and get feeds moved etc so yes in this way it might be good for consumers.

I am still a fan of Tesla though this kind of thing does happen and its the way big business gets big its just a shame that the little guy is getting squashed in all this and I would prefer that this kind of spat doesnt give your average top gear watching petrol head more of a stick to beat us all with.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Motorway service sites in the UK are subject to a long list of requirements they have to fulfil - it is perhaps only a matter of time before EV charging facilities are specified.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Tesla may have big money at their disposal, but Musk does appear to be a man on a mission, and I think he genuinely wants to make EVs mainstream.

Nissan, BMW and Renault are also not short of a bob or two.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I hope this doesn't develop into a bigger story and that they settle their dispute quickly but the fact that it's already out in the open is ominous IMO.

Does anyone know where to find a copy of the Ecotricity statement? I've had a quick search but failed to locate it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Are Tesla interested in providing facilities for non Tesla drivers? Ecotricity looks to me as if they are trying to provide charging points for everyone.

Do you believe Tesla expects to make any money out of non Tesla drivers?

Ecotricity is making a little bit of profit from me, after I changed electricity supply to them. So who has my interest at heart? I would suggest not Tesla.

1 - 20 of 290 Posts