Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else suffering from poor Tesla navigation. I live near cambridge and the routing along the A14 westbound from the Girton interchange is based on mapping over 6 months old and directs you on to none existent roads. Google and Apple updated their maps almost immediately. Tesla’s navigation is seriously out of date, especially for a main arterial road. Also when I use cruise control it slams on the breaks and drops my speed to about 30mph on this road. I know the road so don’t bother to use any autopilot as it’s too frustrating.

·
Registered
M3 LR+ AWD white/19" alloys/tow hook.
98 Posts
I've driven this stretch 3 times in 2020 & the phantom braking (very sudden 70-30) caught me out on the first occasion but luckily nobody was close behind. Maybe nav thinks we are on one of the 'old' 30mph roads crossing under the new part. Since then I switch Autopilot off on the entire 'new' section.

·
EGGY
1,553 Posts
Seem to remember they did a map update a few months ago and then rolled it back ? I've been moaning about lack of 3rd party chargers for months, dev seems focussed on FSD

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seem to remember they did a map update a few months ago and then rolled it back ? I've been moaning about lack of 3rd party chargers for months, dev seems focussed on FSD
Anyone know if there is a way of encouraging Tesla to get it fixed. Serious navigation issues should be a major priority for a company such as Tesla.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,521 Posts
Anyone know if there is a way of encouraging Tesla to get it fixed. Serious navigation issues should be a major priority for a company such as Tesla.
Complain on social media? That is the only way to get attention from the biggest company in the world... But be ready to get shot down from all the Tesla fanboys...oooh, crap. 👨‍🚒

·
Registered
304 Posts
I've noticed a few missing roundabouts from new housing developments, but all of the ones I've noticed are very new.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Why does the Tesla navigation consistently get the exit wrong on roundabouts? Take the second exit is invariably the third and its not on small roundabouts/exits either.
I never had this problem with TomTom or Garmin.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Why does the Tesla navigation consistently get the exit wrong on roundabouts? Take the second exit is invariably the third and its not on small roundabouts/exits either.
I've had the same issue with particular roundabouts as well. Keeps telling me to take an exit that clearly isn't the correct one. Not sure why it does that.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've had the same issue with particular roundabouts as well. Keeps telling me to take an exit that clearly isn't the correct one. Not sure why it does that.
Very shortsighted of Tesla not to correct navigation errors ASAP as it makes the reliable/safe use of Autopilot and FSD useless

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
We haven't had a significant map update in over a year so navigation errors won't be corrected.. There was an attempt at a 2020 one but it was so poor that it was pulled in a few days, and no attempts since (I'm guessing they fired the people responsible for that and haven't replaced them yet).

·
Registered
6 Posts
We haven't had a significant map update in over a year so navigation errors won't be corrected.. There was an attempt at a 2020 one but it was so poor that it was pulled in a few days, and no attempts since (I'm guessing they fired the people responsible for that and haven't replaced them yet).
The people responsible for that, were probably transferred across to design the new screen user interface!!

·
Leaf lover
4,728 Posts
My M3 which we got in December last year has had several software updates and each time causes me mild concerns as the screen blacks out. I am learning to be patient and do the double button trick and after a while things settle down ok.
However since yesterday we have no navigation as the screen is saying we need to update the maps by being online and I made sure of that with the car on the drive (signal is not strong) but leaving it overnight navigation is still not available.
Is there some trick to make the car download the new stuff or simply work of the old maps?

·
EGGY
1,553 Posts
hmm, I've never had that black screen issue you describe, I'd take it in to Chelmo (as the kids say) if i was you

·
Registered
331 Posts
I get this all the time! It's like it doesn't count the correct number of exits and so it tells you to take the wrong exit. You have to really concentrate on the map not what she is saying!

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
My M3 which we got in December last year has had several software updates and each time causes me mild concerns as the screen blacks out. I am learning to be patient and do the double button trick and after a while things settle down ok.
However since yesterday we have no navigation as the screen is saying we need to update the maps by being online and I made sure of that with the car on the drive (signal is not strong) but leaving it overnight navigation is still not available.
Is there some trick to make the car download the new stuff or simply work of the old maps?
The software update that adds traffic light recognition I believe needs a map update to work although I believe its the same map just with the traffic light positions added. Maybe thats what its asking for?

I can't help thinking for these autonomous features to work they shouldn't be so reliant on maps especially as the world updates in real time and the maps seem to update at best quarterly and in the case of Tesla less than annually.

The roundabout thing - I think its when there are dual carriageways and its counting the off roundabout road and the onto the roundabout road as two distinct roads.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts