Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the pleasure of visiting the new Tesla 'showroom' in North Tyneside near Newcastle this afternoon before going for an hours drive, unaccompanied, in the M3P. It was an absolute blast!

The showroom is pretty barebones at the moment and there is a lot of construction work going on around it involving charge point installation and the conversion of existing retail units into the service centre. The showroom has a real Model 3 in it, a pretend Supercharger and a S/X chassis skeleton alongside several seating areas and a few desks. The staff, Chris and Natalie, were absolutely lovely and effortlessly professional and welcoming.

Just before I arrived they had taken delivery of about 32 cars, apparently destined for Edinburgh, which are being temporarily stored at the Newcastle site due to lack of space up in Edinburgh. The vast majority of the cars were Model 3's and they all looked immaculate.

I'm a BMW i3 owner and have had EVs for several years but this is the first time I've actually driven a Tesla. I'm looking to change my car and have been testing out a load of different EVs recently. I had the Jaguar iPace for a full day over the weekend and thought I would have a quick go in the Tesla today.

While the iPace was blisteringly quick and looked particularly beautiful, it felt really uninspiring to drive, somehow quite bland and conventional despite the exhilarating acceleration. The cabin, while really well appointed, didn't feel like a particularly exciting or enjoyable place to be and this was compounded by the UI on the various screens which was resoundingly conventional and often laborious to interact with, contrasting starkly with the futuristic look of the car. Despite feeling really hyped for the extended test-drive, I handed the iPace back to Jaguar feeling a little deflated at how uninspiring the experience had been.

Compare that with the M3P which I approached with muted expectation only to have my mind comprehensively blown!

I know I'm preaching to the converted by I loved the look of the Model 3 and was struck by how beautiful it is in real life. Nicely proportioned, sleek, sporty with sufficient design features to make it look futuristic while retaining a familiar and pleasing shape.

The interior completely captured me. I loved the minimalism, the accessibility and ease of use of the touchscreen, the rapidity and predictability of feedback, it was all just intuitive and really nice to use. I immediately adjusted to the lack of instrument cluster and found the whole system an absolute breeze to explore and use.

I don't have to say much about the drive of the Model 3: It was deeply impressive. The throttle response was obviously enormously enjoyable and of real benefit out on the road. The regen severity was just right for me and supported one-pedal driving. The steering wheel feel and dynamics felt lovely and I felt really connected with the car and able to have some fun with it. The overall feel of the car on the road, its weight and movement felt 'just right', predictable, fun, confidence inspiring. I really wasn't expecting to love it like I did - it just clicked. Rear visibility wasn't as stellar as I imagined it would be but it might have been my seating position and mirror angles?

So in conclusion: A fantastic experience at the up-and-coming Newcastle showroom and a test drive so enormously enjoyable that I'm placing an order for an M3P! Can't wait to get back behind the wheel but fear, after reading these forums, it might be a bit of a wait!

·
EGGY
1,127 Posts
Just picked one up, 9 days from ordering, there's loads. I'll do a write up at some point vs the i3

Reactions: nooooddy1

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had the pleasure of visiting the new Tesla 'showroom' in North Tyneside near Newcastle this afternoon before going for an hours drive, unaccompanied, in the M3P. It was an absolute blast!

The showroom is pretty barebones at the moment and there is a lot of construction work going on around it involving charge point installation and the conversion of existing retail units into the service centre. The showroom has a real Model 3 in it, a pretend Supercharger and a S/X chassis skeleton alongside several seating areas and a few desks. The staff, Chris and Natalie, were absolutely lovely and effortlessly professional and welcoming.

View attachment 128946

Just before I arrived they had taken delivery of about 32 cars, apparently destined for Edinburgh, which are being temporarily stored at the Newcastle site due to lack of space up in Edinburgh. The vast majority of the cars were Model 3's and they all looked immaculate.

View attachment 128947

I'm a BMW i3 owner and have had EVs for several years but this is the first time I've actually driven a Tesla. I'm looking to change my car and have been testing out a load of different EVs recently. I had the Jaguar iPace for a full day over the weekend and thought I would have a quick go in the Tesla today.

While the iPace was blisteringly quick and looked particularly beautiful, it felt really uninspiring to drive, somehow quite bland and conventional despite the exhilarating acceleration. The cabin, while really well appointed, didn't feel like a particularly exciting or enjoyable place to be and this was compounded by the UI on the various screens which was resoundingly conventional and often laborious to interact with, contrasting starkly with the futuristic look of the car. Despite feeling really hyped for the extended test-drive, I handed the iPace back to Jaguar feeling a little deflated at how uninspiring the experience had been.

Compare that with the M3P which I approached with muted expectation only to have my mind comprehensively blown!

I know I'm preaching to the converted by I loved the look of the Model 3 and was struck by how beautiful it is in real life. Nicely proportioned, sleek, sporty with sufficient design features to make it look futuristic while retaining a familiar and pleasing shape.

View attachment 128948

The interior completely captured me. I loved the minimalism, the accessibility and ease of use of the touchscreen, the rapidity and predictability of feedback, it was all just intuitive and really nice to use. I immediately adjusted to the lack of instrument cluster and found the whole system an absolute breeze to explore and use.

I don't have to say much about the drive of the Model 3: It was deeply impressive. The throttle response was obviously enormously enjoyable and of real benefit out on the road. The regen severity was just right for me and supported one-pedal driving. The steering wheel feel and dynamics felt lovely and I felt really connected with the car and able to have some fun with it. The overall feel of the car on the road, its weight and movement felt 'just right', predictable, fun, confidence inspiring. I really wasn't expecting to love it like I did - it just clicked. Rear visibility wasn't as stellar as I imagined it would be but it might have been my seating position and mirror angles?

View attachment 128949

So in conclusion: A fantastic experience at the up-and-coming Newcastle showroom and a test drive so enormously enjoyable that I'm placing an order for an M3P! Can't wait to get back behind the wheel but fear, after reading these forums, it might be a bit of a wait!
As Malcolm says you may not have to wait as long as you think the existing inventory section on the tesla uk site often has a number of model 3ps for immediate delivery as long as your not set on specific colour (and are quick on the mouse button!). Fully agree with your comments about the Newcastle showroom and it will be good to have a local service centre once its finished not that I've needed one!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
It's very dangerous for your wallet taking a Tesla for a test drive! Spittle come with a financial health warning!

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Fully agree with the OP above. I have a red SR+ with tow bar and can tell you that even the "cheap one" is a dream to drive. It is bloody quick and easily exceeds sports car performance. I used to drive a BM M3 and the Tesla beats it hands down in all areas.
It is very balanced and so sweet to drive.
Having washed it a few times I have had time to look round it and very pleased to find nothing untoward. The paint is smooth and shut lines nearly perfect. My biggest complaint is the amount of plastic that has been used to hold the reg plates to the car.

The car's looks would improve with a vinyl plate on the front and double sided tape to hold the rear one on!

·
Registered
407 Posts
They've certainly put it in the right place for maximum 'passing by' trade. You've got VW, Porsche, BMW, Mini, Toyota, Audi and Hyundai and probably others I've forgotten about all near by. Oh there's WBAC too, just in case you need to get rid of your crappy old car after ordering your Tesla :D

·
Registered
313 Posts
Fully agree with the OP above. I have a red SR+ with tow bar and can tell you that even the "cheap one" is a dream to drive. It is bloody quick and easily exceeds sports car performance. I used to drive a BM M3 and the Tesla beats it hands down in all areas.
It is very balanced and so sweet to drive.
Having washed it a few times I have had time to look round it and very pleased to find nothing untoward. The paint is smooth and shut lines nearly perfect. My biggest complaint is the amount of plastic that has been used to hold the reg plates to the car.

The car's looks would improve with a vinyl plate on the front and double sided tape to hold the rear one on!

·
Registered
41 Posts

View attachment 128946

View attachment 128947

View attachment 128948

View attachment 128949

Just to let you know spotted a m3p in White available from Leeds on the tesla UK inventory site about 10 minutes ago quite a few LRs available too

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
You probably won't have to wait that long as others have said givent he current climate. Its also worth noting that Tesla have hidden inventory that you can find on tesla-info thats not on the top level search at Tesla - for M3 performance thats the difference between a choice of 5 cars and 1 car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts