Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
I know it's early days but I have been logging these 15 new sites at 5min intervals (which I'll do as long as I can until Tesla catch on how I'm doing it or I get a knock on the door!)
It's only the Cardiff site that really seems to be getting busy (which given I've not monitored them before may well be normal!)
19-05-2022 11:26AM to 11:46AM - 0 Stalls available
19-05-2022 11:16AM to 11:26AM - 1 Stalls available

From 10AM yesterday until now there are no other sites with <2 Stalls free.

·
Registered
92 Posts
What you wont be able to tell is how many of these Trial sites "show" a few stalls available but in truth are zero stalls available due to some non Tesla EV's now taking up 2 stalls due to wrong CP position. So the chargehead may be available, but a Tesla now cant use it as the correct bay is occupied, so it's unusable.
I can't no, BUT if I can glean this just from the data available then Tesla (who can monitor far more - such as GPS) could quite easily compare "empty stalls" with cars parked waiting nearby not charging and make an educated guess.
That and lets face it, there's always someone with a camera nearby for stall blockers who will relish posting it!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Funnily enough when I did my YouTube video of charging our e-208 there yesterday (Cardiff) I went first just to check the site and ask their permission to film at about 11.30am and 6 of the 8 stalls were in use with one out of order. All Tesla cars. And the saleswoman said it was a particularly busy site. Had to get the all clear from their media section at HQ! Just had to make sure I did not film anyone/invade privacy etc. Obvious stuff really. I did point out I was only going to use my iPhone and my wife’s car and not have a large film crew with me😂. When we returned at just after 3pm. We had the whole place to ourselves. Just 2 other bays in use and one left before we started. In fact that Tesla owner came over to ask if we needed any help as he was aware the SC network had now opened up for non-Tesla. Friendly chap. Short film on which I tried to be as educational as possible can be seen on YT under Marky Mark Reviews+ Tesla. Tesla have said the first 15 sites were chosen as less busy but what with their sales at present I think they are all pretty busy sites.
Hmm, not sure I trust the data so much now, i'm not quite seeing that pattern you describe with number of spare bays (unless they have a few more units out of service around 3pm yesterday - I seem to be out even including the one faulty unit)

Time StampAvailSiteOutputTotal Stall
05-19-2022 03:02:01PM
4​
CARDIFF
250​
8​
05-19-2022 03:07:02PM
5​
CARDIFF
250​
8​
05-19-2022 03:12:02PM
4​
CARDIFF
250​
8​
05-19-2022 03:17:03PM
4​
CARDIFF
250​
8​
05-19-2022 03:22:04PM
4​
CARDIFF
250​
8​
05-19-2022 03:27:04PM
4​
CARDIFF
250​
8​
05-19-2022 03:32:08PM
4​
CARDIFF
250​
8​
05-19-2022 03:37:09PM
3​
CARDIFF
250​
8​
05-19-2022 03:42:09PM
3​
CARDIFF
250​
8​
05-19-2022 03:47:10PM
3​
CARDIFF
250​
8​
05-19-2022 03:52:10PM
6​
CARDIFF
250​
8​
05-19-2022 03:57:11PM
6​
CARDIFF
250​
8​

·
Registered
92 Posts
All the 250kW ones are V3 (Single Cable) and hooked up to a 1MW cabinet in groups of 4 so don't share or care what's next to them (Tesla waffle about them here) - Easiest way to tell is if it has 1 cable it's a V3.

The Trial ones open to the public are as below. Only ones that will be a problem with sharing are:
Thetford (although getting more stalls I believe?)
Dundee
Uxbridge
Wokingham
Aviemore
Folkestone

NamePowerNo.
Tesla Supercharger Manchester, UK - Trafford Centre
250​
18​
Tesla Supercharger Flint Mountain, UK
250​
8​
Tesla Supercharger Birmingham, UK - St Andrews
250​
16​
Tesla Supercharger Adderstone, UK
250​
6​
Tesla Supercharger Banbury, UK
250​
12​
Tesla Supercharger Aberystwyth, UK
250​
6​
Tesla Supercharger Trumpington, UK
250​
12​
Tesla Supercharger Thetford, UK
150​
8​
Tesla Supercharger Dundee, UK
150​
8​
Tesla Supercharger Uxbridge, UK
150​
12​
Tesla Supercharger Cardiff, UK
250​
8​
Tesla Supercharger Wokingham, UK
138​
16​
Tesla Supercharger Grays, UK
250​
16​
Tesla Supercharger Aviemore, UK
150​
4​
Tesla Supercharger Folkestone, UK ? France Bound Only
130​
8​

·
Registered
92 Posts
Saturday May 21
Trafford Centre, Manchester, 62p per kWh, Tesla App (no contactless as the Superchargers don't have screens), it was showing about 10-11 kW during the time I was charging which was around 15 minutes, as I was only testing it I put in 2 kWh which took it up to 80% state of charge, it cost me £1.24 in total.

I don't know if it's coincidental, it charged OK, however upon disconnection, an error message is now displayed on the dash (it has never been displayed previously in the 17 months I've owned the car) which states: Power System Indicator (Page 111 in e-manual), 'Have your vehicle checked by a dealer immediately'. As it was around 11:00 pm that wasn't happening and it was driving fine so I headed home. I plugged in when I got home and hoped the message would have cleared this morning. It charged up without issue but the message is still displayed. Looks like a dealer visit will be necessary!
:roll:

View attachment 162374

Sunday May 22
Fault still indicated. Used 7kW Podpoint at Tesco and charged fine. Then visited a local InstaVolt and 2 attempts (£15 pre-authorisation each time!) using CCS but faulted with red indicator displayed at plug-in point. Also tried CCS on both Podpoint and Be.EV with the same result. So it appears the Tesla charge has affected the DC charging.

I’ll call my local Honda Dealer tomorrow.

I thought it was a good idea to try the Tesla Supercharger, not so sure now!

Monday 23 May
See following YouTube video:
Tesla+Honda=Enemies

I wish I’d been aware of this sooner. I plugged my Honda e into a V3 Tesla Supercharger at the Trafford Centre, Manchester on Friday night. It charged for the 15 minutes I was there (purely as a test), however upon ending the charge it went into ‘fault’ and the red light of doom, CCS charging is now broken and my Honda e is with the dealer for a fix!

Tuesday 24 May
View attachment 162375

Looks like the Tesla SuC fried my Honda e!
Just waiting on part availability and repair timescale.
Update: Part ordered with a delivery time of 3-4 days so leaving my Honda e with the dealer until the end of this week or the beginning of next. Hopefully that'll be the last time I see them until the July service is due!
That was an expensive charge then. I'd maybe drop that in it's own post on both this forum & the Honda subgroup one - It's Key info that's going to get lost in this thread! (unless i'm the only one that's never heard of this yet!)

·
Registered
92 Posts
So, I've been gathering data on these public SCs since they first opened.
I've given it until the 22nd May for people to calm down (day one you could just watch as the Youtube crew appeared) so the following is an abridged overview of the impact from the 22nd May to today in the order of busiest first:

Thetford is the most busy at of all of them. It is regularly down to <2 Bays and is in fact the only one which has seen 0 spare bays on a few occasions. I suspect this will change once the new bays are opened.

Next is Aviemore which only ever got to 0 once, but did spend several occasions at 1 spare.
Addlestone is 3rd - Never 0 but at 1 bay quite a lot
Cardiff 4th - down to 2 bays a fair few times
Flint - Down to 2 on occasion.

All the rest never really dropped below 3 spare as far as I can see.
I wouldn't read too much into this as we don't know anything about these locations normal "usage" pre-opening to the public. This could just be normal for these sites!

Basically week 1 it's not been the absolute horror that some thought. I doubt if anyone has been truly stopped from charging other than perhaps a very slight delay at Thetford? Not seen anyone moan about it though.

And finally, no your not getting the data!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts