Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
301 - 320 of 383 Posts

·
Registered
2022 VW ID.3 Tour Pro S & 2022 Skoda Superb iV L&K
129 Posts
?? The £10.99 pm is only for Non Tesla cars to use the UK Supercharger network, there are no subs for Tesla cars, nothing in the app, nothing on the car screen, you just plug in and get the best Tesla rate per kwh.
I may have misunderstood, thought you meant as in 'free', like early adopters. My bad 😁

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Also, you don’t really think anything is truly free in this world, even in that Tesla bubble of yours?! 😂
Well unless Tesla drop the price a new car a few £k and then make us pay £10.99 pm for the best SuC rates, then yes in respect that they are charging it to non Tesla cars, we get it free.

·
Premium Member
Some EVs or other
9,959 Posts
Well unless Tesla drop the price a new car a few £k and then make us pay £10.99 pm for the best SuC rates, then yes in respect that they are charging it to non Tesla cars, we get it free.
Yes, us Tesla owners get a subscription free charging experience (and subs didn’t exist here until a couple of days ago), and the subscription or lower pricing.

But you’re having a laugh if you think the cost of SuC provision hasn’t been factored into the business model, and is in the cost of the cars.

Effectively, looks like if you’ve purchased a Tesla then you’ve purchased a lifetime subscription. Any bets on when Tesla start stripping that out when a car changes hands, like they did with free charging?

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22)
282 Posts
The £10.99 monthly fee is very high as an ongoing subscription, even for the entire supercharger network once they open it up. Wecharge are now offering a 3.99 monthly fee to get all wecharge rapids except Ionity (which is quite a lot) for 45p. For the higher price you get cheap (25p?) Ionity as well.
There are very few people who are going to want to charge >100kwh per month on superchargers and don't have other good options that are cheaper anyway. The one useful scenario could be that once the whole network is open, it might be worth paying for one month to time with a roadtrip/holiday of some kind and then cancelling straight after.

·
Registered
Kia EV6 RWD
2,977 Posts
The £10.99 monthly fee is very high as an ongoing subscription, even for the entire supercharger network once they open it up. Wecharge are now offering a 3.99 monthly fee to get all wecharge rapids except Ionity (which is quite a lot) for 45p. For the higher price you get cheap (25p?) Ionity as well.
There are very few people who are going to want to charge >100kwh per month on superchargers and don't have other good options that are cheaper anyway. The one useful scenario could be that once the whole network is open, it might be worth paying for one month to time with a roadtrip/holiday of some kind and then cancelling straight after.
Bit like the Ionity one for Kia £11 a month reduces it from 69p Kwh to 25p. So one full recharge a month (Say 60kw 60x 44p = £27 saving) and its more than paid for the subscription.

The Tesla one at £11 a month is not quite as good but still 60Kw at 42p instead of 62p (60x 20p £12) so again one decent charge a month and its paid for itself

Not bothering myself as have the Ionity Sub free free for a year but going forward the Tesla £10.99 a month is not a bad deal at all to access a reliable network

·
Registered
567 Posts
Context is everything. If the bays were empty and nobody waiting, why not ? Saves having to detach the caravan.
I agree, why not Indeed....at this particular moment at least.

By way of context....
At the moment in time that this photo was taken it didn't present a problem to me as I was the only one charging. Nor was it a problem to 4 other Tesla owners that subsequently arrived prior to my departure and were able to charge.

All 5 accessible stalls were eventually occupied, leaving only the 5 blocked ones.

My departure freed-up one stall before anyone else showed up, the Model X and caravan was still blocking the 5 stalls opposite when I departed.

So, to add an imaginary scenario at some other point in time...if all 5 accessable stalls are occupied, when others rock-up to charge with caravan man still blocking the remaining 5 stalls, would he/she have the courtesy to cease charging and move-on freeing up chargers?.... or defiantly remain charging, blocking the 5 stalls?

The same conundrum applies to non-Teslas blocking 2 bays due to charge port/cable incompatibility.

A similar scenario to those who insist on parking on a double yellow line, thinking "why not, I'm not causing an obstruction, saves me time bothering to find a parking space"....until of course a bus appears 10 minutes later and can't get past due to their inconsiderate parking, .... A daily occurrence in my village.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
Some EVs or other
9,959 Posts
The Tesla one at £11 a month is not quite as good but still 60Kw at 42p instead of 62p (60x 20p £12) so again one decent charge a month and its paid for itself
The price differential seems to be around 11p sub vs PAYG, so nearer 100kW to break even.

It’s good to have another option for long distance travel though.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Tesla Model 3LR
1,164 Posts
a car/caravan blocking 5 bays for the sake of not wanting to unhitch and use 1 bay which is clearly not right (arguably if quiet you are ok as long as you stay with the car and are ready to move if needed)

a car with the charge point in a place where the current cables can’t reach isn’t their fault, so they shouldn’t feel any need to move if a tesla arrives and there is only one bay available (the one they are inadvertently blocking). They may choose to, but its very different to the caravan situation IMO

Reactions: Tooks

·
Registered
375 Posts
Three pages of posts arguing about how to park 🤦‍♂️

in a series of tweets from the Tesla owners club (or whatever they’re called) they noted that in all the trials in Europe there had been no reported problems with the different parking arrangements some cars may need.

in other words the parking issue is a bit of a storm in a teacup…

I expect ICE-ing will be more of an issue.
But they haven’t encountered the British - yet!

·
Registered
375 Posts
I disagree (not targeting you personally, just yours was the last post I saw 😅) front mounted charging ports encourage poor parking practices. Where possible reverse parking is best as it is safer to emerge from the bay (and arguably easier to park in tighter spaces due to where the turning wheels are for adjusting angle)
Do they actually teach drivers to reverse these days. My favourite hobby is watching the cars park at our local car park. They must take 4 or 5 attempts to get the car in position.

·
Registered
12,655 Posts
Do they actually teach drivers to reverse these days. My favourite hobby is watching the cars park at our local car park. They must take 4 or 5 attempts to get the car in position.
Some people just really struggle with spatial awareness, and no matter how much they practice they can never really get the hang of reversing a car. My wife took her driving test 11 times, finally passed when she was 27. Every time she failed the reversing around a corner bit. Even now, after she's been driving for ~35 years, she still takes two or three goes to reverse from one end of our drive to the other. Not unusual for me to see her about to reverse into the wall on the CCTV and rush out to get her to stop. In car parks, she'll drive around for ages to find two spaces free where she can drive across one to the other, so avoiding the need to reverse in or out. No amount of tuition is going to help, she just cannot determine where left or right is when going backwards.

·
Registered
375 Posts
We do this now. Started doing it during the peak of the pandemic, then discovered it was a lot less hassle than shopping, so have carried on doing it since. The stuff we would rather see before we buy, like fresh produce, we get from the local farm shop, a shorter distance to travel and loads of space. Much better quality produce than the supermarket, too.
Absolutely! We do the same now. But when the butler comes back from his holidays, I’ll get him to do the farm shopping.😎

·
Registered
375 Posts
a car/caravan blocking 5 bays for the sake of not wanting to unhitch and use 1 bay which is clearly not right (arguably if quiet you are ok as long as you stay with the car and are ready to move if needed)

a car with the charge point in a place where the current cables can’t reach isn’t their fault, so they shouldn’t feel any need to move if a tesla arrives and there is only one bay available (the one they are inadvertently blocking). They may choose to, but its very different to the caravan situation IMO
Did the guy with the caravan blocking all those spaces, also get his table and chairs out and have a brew?

·
Registered
2020 Honda e Advance Platinum White Pearl on 17s
368 Posts
As I was nearby late last night I just had to try my first charging session at a Tesla SuC. No inappropriate bay use by me (Tesla owners are worried about such a thing); I'm so glad Honda positioned the charge port front and centre! 🙂
Automotive lighting Telephone booth Light Hood Plant

Reactions: Falcon73

·
Registered
ID.4 Life Pure
200 Posts
View attachment 162159
used the SUC today. Brilliant. Quick - easy - got 90kw at 24% (ID3 - that’s good). I parked next to an Enyaq that was already there. Two other Tesla’s charging (Trafford centre - 18 bays).
All money Tesla wouldn't have received before this was opened up.

I really do hope they increase the cable length just so we don't have to put up with the Tesla owners moaning about stall blocking.

301 - 320 of 383 Posts