Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
321 - 340 of 383 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Tesla Model 3LR
1,164 Posts
View attachment 162159
used the SUC today. Brilliant. Quick - easy - got 90kw at 24% (ID3 - that’s good). I parked next to an Enyaq that was already there. Two other Tesla’s charging (Trafford centre - 18 bays).
now only 1 extra bay blocked for two cars so each is only blocking half a bay :)

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
9,590 Posts
I parked next to an Enyaq that was already there.
Didn't I read somewhere that they power share if parked next to each other in an A and B bay? No problem if you were on, say, 8B and he was on 9A but usually best to leave a space between cars if possible to avoid the possibility of power share.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
All money Tesla wouldn't have received before this was opened up.

I really do hope they increase the cable length just so we don't have to put up with the Tesla owners moaning about stall blocking.
yes- quite. And at a busy time. Good quality chargers - earlier in the day I only got 65kw at 35% at one of the fancy new Gridserve ultra rapids - so very pleased with the SUC performance.
App was great. No lag - no 30-60 secs wait whilst the thing got going…

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Didn't I read somewhere that they power share if parked next to each other in an A and B bay? No problem if you were on, say, 8B and he was on 9A but usually best to leave a space between cars if possible to avoid the possibility of power share.
I didn’t want to incur the wrath of the Tesla parking police 👮‍♀️
Anyway - I think me and the Enyaq could have shared 250kw and both still been at max charging speed!!

·
Registered
12,683 Posts
Yes, they are/were paired like this, with two dispensers sharing a common charger, so they shared the max power available. Tesla etiquette is to try not to use a shared pair if there are other bays available, because of this. I believe it may have been resolved with the newer superchargers, though, so the dispensers for those no longer share a common charger in the same way.

·
Registered
ID.4 Life Pure
200 Posts
You appear to dislike Tesla and Tesla owners why?
I don't hate Tesla at all. I think them opening up the Superchargers is a great thing and they without a doubt have the best charging network available. What I don't want to deal with is blocking a stall due to my port location and be plastered all over forums for "inappropriate charger use" by some territorial fanboys.

I should have been clearer and stated "Put up with the small but loud minority Tesla owners moaning about stall blocking" and I hope Tesla increase cable lengths so it's not a issue to worry about.

·
Registered
787 Posts
The v3 chargers don't share from what I gather. I'm assuming those are all CCS only ie one cable so easy to spot.
Correct. The newest V3 chargers which only have the CCS cables can transmit full power regardless of who is in the bay directly next to you. Up to 250kW maximum at present. So not Ionity & GridServe fast (only some specified units so far) but getting there.

·
Registered
78 Posts
All the 250kW ones are V3 (Single Cable) and hooked up to a 1MW cabinet in groups of 4 so don't share or care what's next to them (Tesla waffle about them here) - Easiest way to tell is if it has 1 cable it's a V3.

The Trial ones open to the public are as below. Only ones that will be a problem with sharing are:
Thetford (although getting more stalls I believe?)
Dundee
Uxbridge
Wokingham
Aviemore
Folkestone

NamePowerNo.
Tesla Supercharger Manchester, UK - Trafford Centre
250​
18​
Tesla Supercharger Flint Mountain, UK
250​
8​
Tesla Supercharger Birmingham, UK - St Andrews
250​
16​
Tesla Supercharger Adderstone, UK
250​
6​
Tesla Supercharger Banbury, UK
250​
12​
Tesla Supercharger Aberystwyth, UK
250​
6​
Tesla Supercharger Trumpington, UK
250​
12​
Tesla Supercharger Thetford, UK
150​
8​
Tesla Supercharger Dundee, UK
150​
8​
Tesla Supercharger Uxbridge, UK
150​
12​
Tesla Supercharger Cardiff, UK
250​
8​
Tesla Supercharger Wokingham, UK
138​
16​
Tesla Supercharger Grays, UK
250​
16​
Tesla Supercharger Aviemore, UK
150​
4​
Tesla Supercharger Folkestone, UK ? France Bound Only
130​
8​

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Even a diesel truck that might be doing dozens of drops in your locality?

Probably isn’t much in it, in reality, unless the EV was charged with solar, but then that has a footprint too etc etc.

I go halfway house, order online, drive to collect it from the supermarket. I tend to spend less too, as I’m not tempted by anything not in my shopping list!
Tesco have started using SAIC-built electric vans in London, which is a step in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
View attachment 162159
used the SUC today. Brilliant. Quick - easy - got 90kw at 24% (ID3 - that’s good). I parked next to an Enyaq that was already there. Two other Tesla’s charging (Trafford centre - 18 bays).
There is a reason Tesla owners always park and charge with a space between cars, not adjacent, if they can. I believe by what you two did halved each's max charge rate as the supply is shared between every 2 stalls, so to get the max available power supply you need a 1 bay gap between cars. Depends where the 1st and last posts are I assume, they mostly are always even numbers of chargers.

·
Premium Member
Some EVs or other
9,988 Posts
There is a reason Tesla owners always park and charge with a space between cars, not adjacent, if they can. I believe by what you two did halved each's max charge rate as the supply is shared between every 2 stalls, so to get the max available power supply you need a 1 bay gap between cars. Depends where the 1st and last posts are I assume, they mostly are always even numbers of chargers.
You don’t need to leave a gap on v3 250kW chargers.

As above, identifiable by the single CCS cable on each tombstone.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
i3 120Ah->Kona 64kWh->e208->ID.3 Family->Model 3 60kWh LFP
4,139 Posts
Yes, just to reiterate, no power sharing on V3 units, so if there are two ‘driver’s side charge port’ cars wanting to charge, it’s best they stick together where possible (as in the photo).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Can someone trying a supercharger grab a photo of the spec / data plate. I'm intrigued as to whether Tesla made the V3 charger 800V compatible even if though they don't have any 800V vehicles.

If Tesla are making them "open to all" in order to help get planning permission then they need to be putting in 800V chargers as well, otherwise they're not future proofed.

·
Registered
Kia EV6 RWD
2,978 Posts
Can someone trying a supercharger grab a photo of the spec / data plate. I'm intrigued as to whether Tesla made the V3 charger 800V compatible even if though they don't have any 800V vehicles.

If Tesla are making them "open to all" in order to help get planning permission then they need to be putting in 800V chargers as well, otherwise they're not future proofed.
No they are not 800v, if you have an 800v car Like the Kia or Hyundai, you will top out at its 400v Current limit (about 170Kw)...
The Porche Taycan is different and has a lower 400v limit so on that you will get 50kw or 125kw it seems depending on which charging pack you got.

·
Rosemary
89 Posts
Didn't I read somewhere that they power share if parked next to each other in an A and B bay? No problem if you were on, say, 8B and he was on 9A but usually best to leave a space between cars if possible to avoid the possibility of power
I don't hate Tesla at all. I think them opening up the Superchargers is a great thing and they without a doubt have the best charging network available. What I don't want to deal with is blocking a stall due to my port location and be plastered all over forums for "inappropriate charger use" by some territorial fanboys.

I should have been clearer and stated "Put up with the small but loud minority Tesla owners moaning about stall blocking" and I hope Tesla increase cable lengths so it's not a issue to worry about.
I didn't say you hated Tesla, all makes have their "fans"

I didnt say that you hated Tesla, every make has its supporters and indeed its moaners its just Tesla gets more attention
than others. I purchased a Tesla 4years ago and had free lifetime supercharging should I complain if I can't charge because it's full of slower charging non Teslas? No I might watch Netflix or YouTube while I wait. Let us all get on and help each other.

321 - 340 of 383 Posts