Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
341 - 360 of 383 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Tesla Model 3LR
1,164 Posts
Yes, just to reiterate, no power sharing on V3 units, so if there are two ‘driver’s side charge port’ cars wanting to charge, it’s best they stick together where possible (as in the photo).
yes

While the old V2 would be better if you did urinal rules and kept apart from each other, with non-tesla thats the worst thing you can do as each car blocks two bays. Hopefully Tesla has chosen V3 for the trial at least, and non-tesla owners should never be told the 1A/1B thing because they should park next to each other so that the net result is one extra bay blocked no matter how many of them are charging

·
Registered
2022 Tesla Model 3LR
1,164 Posts
Can someone trying a supercharger grab a photo of the spec / data plate. I'm intrigued as to whether Tesla made the V3 charger 800V compatible even if though they don't have any 800V vehicles.

If Tesla are making them "open to all" in order to help get planning permission then they need to be putting in 800V chargers as well, otherwise they're not future proofed.

They can choose to. Or they can choose to keep 400v as long as their cars only use 400v (actually are they 500v? they stretch the spec a little when telsas are plugged in). There are lots of less than 350kw/400v chargers around. while we’d all like every rapid to be 350kw/800v, we aren’t telling them to replace them.

Availability is most urgent. Speed is secondary - and both will evolve over time. Tesla will potentially move to faster charging cars and then they’ll update their chargers

Reactions: Falcon73

·
EV Convert
2020 iPace HSE.
796 Posts
yes

While the old V2 would be better if you did urinal rules and kept apart from each other, with non-tesla thats the worst thing you can do as each car blocks two bays. Hopefully Tesla has chosen V3 for the trial at least, and non-tesla owners should never be told the 1A/1B thing because they should park next to each other so that the net result is one extra bay blocked no matter how many of them are charging
That's a great point.

·
Registered
567 Posts
a car/caravan blocking 5 bays for the sake of not wanting to unhitch and use 1 bay which is clearly not right (arguably if quiet you are ok as long as you stay with the car and are ready to move if needed)

a car with the charge point in a place where the current cables can’t reach isn’t their fault, so they shouldn’t feel any need to move if a tesla arrives and there is only one bay available (the one they are inadvertently blocking). They may choose to, but its very different to the caravan situation IMO
It boils down etiquete and affording due consideration and respect for other users.... sadly lacking in these times of selfish me-me-me mentality.

I personally see no difference at all.... other than that in your second scenario, whereby choosing not to move and seeking to present a feeble excuse to shift blame in order to condone irresponsible behaviour, demonstrates lack of respect and courtesy.

Likely that someone with such a mentality would, no doubt, present a similar excuse for parking on double yellow lines.... "because there aren't sufficient car park spaces made available by the local council".

Tesla charging infrastructure was conceived and designed at a time when no other manufacturers were the slightest bit interested in EV's.

Indeed many legacy manufacturers were approached by Tesla in the very early days to colaborate with charging the infrastructure (Mercedes & BMW where two I believe), but declined, as they believed there was no future electric vehicles.

To call out Tesla for not having a cable long enough is unjustified. Other manufacturers chose to adopt their own hap hazard approach to the location of charge ports in their vehicles, and as such are responsible for the consequential issues that are now manifesting as a result of their design choices at many types of charge pump, not exclusively Teslas.

Responsible and respectful charging etiquette should be adopted by EV owners at all charging stations, irrespective of network provider.

·
Registered
2022 Tesla Model 3LR
1,164 Posts
It boils down etiquete and affording due consideration and respect for other users.... sadly lacking in these times of selfish me-me-me mentality.

I personally see no difference at all.... other than that in your second scenario, whereby choosing not to move and seeking to present a feeble excuse to shift blame in order to condone irresponsible behaviour, demonstrates lack of respect and courtesy.

Likely that someone with such a mentality would, no doubt, present a similar excuse for parking on double yellow lines.... "because there aren't sufficient car park spaces made available by the local council".

Tesla charging infrastructure was conceived and designed at a time when no other manufacturers were the slightest bit interested in EV's.

Indeed many legacy manufacturers were approached by Tesla in the very early days to colaborate with charging the infrastructure (Mercedes & BMW where two I believe), but declined, as they believed there was no future electric vehicles.

To call out Tesla for not having a cable long enough is unjustified. Other manufacturers chose to adopt their own hap hazard approach to the location of charge ports in their vehicles, and as such are responsible for the consequential issues that are now manifesting as a result of their design choices at many types of charge pump, not exclusively Teslas.

Responsible and respectful charging etiquette should be adopted by EV owners at all charging stations, irrespective of network provider.
The difference with parking on double yellows is that isn’t allowed. Tesla are explicitly allowing all non-teslas to use these sites and they know that most non-teslas have the charge points in locations that will force the need to use the ‘wrong’ charge cable due to the design of the chargers and bays.

None of that is the choice or preference or under control of the drivers - they’re being allowed and invited to charge so they should be able to charge. If there are capcity issues build more capcity. If there are access issues redesign the chargers. Tesla could have done that before opening up but they didn’t. It isn’t the drivers responsibility and neither should drivers feel the need to move to make space for a Tesla - both have equal access priority to those opened sites.

·
Registered
2021 BMW iX3 Premier Pro / Nissan Leaf 2021 e+tekna (ordered)
660 Posts
The difference with parking on double yellows is that isn’t allowed. Tesla are explicitly allowing all non-teslas to use these sites and they know that most non-teslas have the charge points in locations that will force the need to use the ‘wrong’ charge cable due to the design of the chargers and bays.

None of that is the choice or preference or under control of the drivers - they’re being allowed and invited to charge so they should be able to charge. If there are capcity issues build more capcity. If there are access issues redesign the chargers. Tesla could have done that before opening up but they didn’t. It isn’t the drivers responsibility and neither should drivers feel the need to move to make space for a Tesla - both have equal access priority to those opened sites.
Tend to agree, after all no matter who's plugged in is paying for the privalige of doing that, tesla have said its allowed knowing that other cars probably won't work with their current charger implementation. I suspect we may see newer chargers with tweaked designs if the opening is seen as beneficial to Tesla, but until then, normal rules apply, first to come etc and leave when you have enough SoC. If that 'blocks' a charger for another car design, then surely if a car that works turns up (say two driver side cars) then that's what it will be. I'm sure there won't be too much of a hassle though, hasn't been so far abroad, so can't see why it should become an issue here. After a while tesla drivers will also get used to seeing others at SuC sites, and it won't be a problem.

Reactions: motmot

·
EV fan since 2001
VW e-Up (2013), MINI Cooper SE (2021)
92 Posts
All the 250kW ones are V3 (Single Cable) and hooked up to a 1MW cabinet in groups of 4 so don't share or care what's next to them (Tesla waffle about them here) - Easiest way to tell is if it has 1 cable it's a V3.

The Trial ones open to the public are as below. Only ones that will be a problem with sharing are:
Thetford (although getting more stalls I believe?)
Dundee
Uxbridge
Wokingham
Aviemore
Folkestone

NamePowerNo.
Tesla Supercharger Manchester, UK - Trafford Centre
250​
18​
Tesla Supercharger Flint Mountain, UK
250​
8​
Tesla Supercharger Birmingham, UK - St Andrews
250​
16​
Tesla Supercharger Adderstone, UK
250​
6​
Tesla Supercharger Banbury, UK
250​
12​
Tesla Supercharger Aberystwyth, UK
250​
6​
Tesla Supercharger Trumpington, UK
250​
12​
Tesla Supercharger Thetford, UK
150​
8​
Tesla Supercharger Dundee, UK
150​
8​
Tesla Supercharger Uxbridge, UK
150​
12​
Tesla Supercharger Cardiff, UK
250​
8​
Tesla Supercharger Wokingham, UK
138​
16​
Tesla Supercharger Grays, UK
250​
16​
Tesla Supercharger Aviemore, UK
150​
4​
Tesla Supercharger Folkestone, UK ? France Bound Only
130​
8​
Should be noted that Tesla SuC Thetford had an additional 8 v3 chargers recently installed but still behind fencing when I went to test my MINI with the network. Should bring the total up to 16 chargers soon.

·
Registered
2020 Honda e Advance Platinum White Pearl on 17s
368 Posts
As I was nearby late last night I just had to try my first charging session at a Tesla SuC. No inappropriate bay use by me (Tesla owners are worried about such a thing); I'm so glad Honda positioned the charge port front and centre! 🙂
View attachment 162162
Saturday May 21
Trafford Centre, Manchester, 62p per kWh, Tesla App (no contactless as the Superchargers don't have screens), it was showing about 10-11 kW during the time I was charging which was around 15 minutes, as I was only testing it I put in 2 kWh which took it up to 80% state of charge, it cost me £1.24 in total.

I don't know if it's coincidental, it charged OK, however upon disconnection, an error message is now displayed on the dash (it has never been displayed previously in the 17 months I've owned the car) which states: Power System Indicator (Page 111 in e-manual), 'Have your vehicle checked by a dealer immediately'. As it was around 11:00 pm that wasn't happening and it was driving fine so I headed home. I plugged in when I got home and hoped the message would have cleared this morning. It charged up without issue but the message is still displayed. Looks like a dealer visit will be necessary!
:roll:

Rectangle Font Circle Number Paper

Sunday May 22
Fault still indicated. Used 7kW Podpoint at Tesco and charged fine. Then visited a local InstaVolt and 2 attempts (£15 pre-authorisation each time!) using CCS but faulted with red indicator displayed at plug-in point. Also tried CCS on both Podpoint and Be.EV with the same result. So it appears the Tesla charge has affected the DC charging.

I’ll call my local Honda Dealer tomorrow.

I thought it was a good idea to try the Tesla Supercharger, not so sure now!

Monday 23 May
See following YouTube video:
Tesla+Honda=Enemies

I wish I’d been aware of this sooner. I plugged my Honda e into a V3 Tesla Supercharger at the Trafford Centre, Manchester on Friday night. It charged for the 15 minutes I was there (purely as a test), however upon ending the charge it went into ‘fault’ and the red light of doom, CCS charging is now broken and my Honda e is with the dealer for a fix!

Tuesday 24 May
Rectangle Circle Font Magenta Pattern

Looks like the Tesla SuC fried my Honda e!
Just waiting on part availability and repair timescale.
Update: Part ordered with a delivery time of 3-4 days so leaving my Honda e with the dealer until the end of this week or the beginning of next. Hopefully that'll be the last time I see them until the July service is due!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Saturday May 21
Trafford Centre, Manchester, 62p per kWh, Tesla App (no contactless as the Superchargers don't have screens), it was showing about 10-11 kW during the time I was charging which was around 15 minutes, as I was only testing it I put in 2 kWh which took it up to 80% state of charge, it cost me £1.24 in total.

I don't know if it's coincidental, it charged OK, however upon disconnection, an error message is now displayed on the dash (it has never been displayed previously in the 17 months I've owned the car) which states: Power System Indicator (Page 111 in e-manual), 'Have your vehicle checked by a dealer immediately'. As it was around 11:00 pm that wasn't happening and it was driving fine so I headed home. I plugged in when I got home and hoped the message would have cleared this morning. It charged up without issue but the message is still displayed. Looks like a dealer visit will be necessary!
:roll:

View attachment 162374

Sunday May 22
Fault still indicated. Used 7kW Podpoint at Tesco and charged fine. Then visited a local InstaVolt and 2 attempts (£15 pre-authorisation each time!) using CCS but faulted with red indicator displayed at plug-in point. Also tried CCS on both Podpoint and Be.EV with the same result. So it appears the Tesla charge has affected the DC charging.

I’ll call my local Honda Dealer tomorrow.

I thought it was a good idea to try the Tesla Supercharger, not so sure now!

Monday 23 May
See following YouTube video:
Tesla+Honda=Enemies

I wish I’d been aware of this sooner. I plugged my Honda e into a V3 Tesla Supercharger at the Trafford Centre, Manchester on Friday night. It charged for the 15 minutes I was there (purely as a test), however upon ending the charge it went into ‘fault’ and the red light of doom, CCS charging is now broken and my Honda e is with the dealer for a fix!

Tuesday 24 May
View attachment 162375

Looks like the Tesla SuC fried my Honda e!
Just waiting on part availability and repair timescale.
Update: Part ordered with a delivery time of 3-4 days so leaving my Honda e with the dealer until the end of this week or the beginning of next. Hopefully that'll be the last time I see them until the July service is due!
That was an expensive charge then. I'd maybe drop that in it's own post on both this forum & the Honda subgroup one - It's Key info that's going to get lost in this thread! (unless i'm the only one that's never heard of this yet!)

·
Registered
787 Posts
Yeah. I have just notified my Honda e driving colleague who is also a Tesla MX owner, not to try charging the Honda at a SC! May be a very expensive mistake. Or are the Honda people just pulling a fast one?! And all it needs is a reset? The YT video guy’s Honda still charged on other rapids straight after a failure to charge on the V2 SC.

·
Registered
Leaf 24 Tekna '64 || Model Y LR on order
1,680 Posts
Or are the Honda people just pulling a fast one?! And all it needs is a reset?
Demand to keep the control unit that was taken out of your car. You can then draw your own conclusions in your own time, at very least you made sure they have done the work they said they were going to do.

Dealerships, I never trust any of them!

·
Registered
2020 Honda e Advance Platinum White Pearl on 17s
368 Posts
Demand to keep the control unit that was taken out of your car. You can then draw your own conclusions in your own time, at very least you made sure they have done the work they said they were going to do.

Dealerships, I never trust any of them!
It’s being repaired under the Honda Warranty so isn’t costing me anything; as long as it’s working as it should when I get it back, that’s the end of the matter for me.

·
Registered
78 Posts
So, I've been gathering data on these public SCs since they first opened.
I've given it until the 22nd May for people to calm down (day one you could just watch as the Youtube crew appeared) so the following is an abridged overview of the impact from the 22nd May to today in the order of busiest first:

Thetford is the most busy at of all of them. It is regularly down to <2 Bays and is in fact the only one which has seen 0 spare bays on a few occasions. I suspect this will change once the new bays are opened.

Next is Aviemore which only ever got to 0 once, but did spend several occasions at 1 spare.
Addlestone is 3rd - Never 0 but at 1 bay quite a lot
Cardiff 4th - down to 2 bays a fair few times
Flint - Down to 2 on occasion.

All the rest never really dropped below 3 spare as far as I can see.
I wouldn't read too much into this as we don't know anything about these locations normal "usage" pre-opening to the public. This could just be normal for these sites!

Basically week 1 it's not been the absolute horror that some thought. I doubt if anyone has been truly stopped from charging other than perhaps a very slight delay at Thetford? Not seen anyone moan about it though.

And finally, no your not getting the data!

·
Registered
2016 Tesla Model S70; 2021 Renault Zoe R135.
481 Posts
So, I've been gathering data on these public SCs since they first opened.
I've given it until the 22nd May for people to calm down (day one you could just watch as the Youtube crew appeared) so the following is an abridged overview of the impact from the 22nd May to today in the order of busiest first:

Thetford is the most busy at of all of them. It is regularly down to <2 Bays and is in fact the only one which has seen 0 spare bays on a few occasions. I suspect this will change once the new bays are opened.

Next is Aviemore which only ever got to 0 once, but did spend several occasions at 1 spare.
Cardiff 4th - down to 2 bays a fair few times
Flint - Down to 2 on occasion.

All the rest never really dropped below 3 spare as far as I can see.
I wouldn't read too much into this as we don't know anything about these locations normal "usage" pre-opening to the public. This could just be normal for these sites!

Basically week 1 it's not been the absolute horror that some thought. I doubt if anyone has been truly stopped from charging other than perhaps a very slight delay at Thetford? Not seen anyone moan about it though.

And finally, no your not getting the data!
Great to have some hard data!
Bear in mind one bay spare = none useable if there are cars with chargeports on different sides.

·
EV Convert
2020 iPace HSE.
796 Posts
I rent an apartment in Addlestone. I was quite surprised to hear that there was a bunch of Superchargers there that I've never seen... :)

Adderstone?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I was going to say that is surprising given the location. But it probably is busy at peak times with traffic to/from Cromer/Yarmouth/Broads/Norwich

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
It’s being repaired under the Honda Warranty so isn’t costing me anything; as long as it’s working as it should when I get it back, that’s the end of the matter for me.
But if the reason for the fault is followed up it could save a lot of grief for other owners, Honda and Tesla. It might be a tolerance/timing issue that means sometimes it faults and sometimes it works cleanly. I would describe the circumstances to your dealer and request the unit is sent back for analysis and that Honda and Tesla need to put their heads together for mutual benefit and avoiding negative press about incompatibilities for EVs.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
i3 120Ah->Kona 64kWh->e208->ID.3 Family->Model 3 60kWh LFP
4,139 Posts
Bear in mind one bay spare = none useable if there are cars with chargeports on different side
Could potentially be an 18 unit site with 9 Teslas / Polestars / Stellantis cars etc charging and no useable spaces for VWs, BMWs, Audis etc…or vice versa

341 - 360 of 383 Posts