Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I just wanted to start a conversation and get people's opinions, it's not a dig at tesla users by any means.

Is it fair for tesla owners to use non tesla chargers when other non-tesla ev owners (like myself) can't really use the tesla chargers?

Would love to hear your opinions.

Thanks.

·
Registered
281 Posts
It’s a billing question. Tesla asks for ludicrous fees for access to their protocols, whereas all the other machine builders are either open source or don’t ask nearly as much for their universal charger access. A comparison would be Apples closed ecosystem. You have to jump through thier hoops in you want to release an app and this has good and bad consequences.

i think it’s entirely fair for Tesla to do this; ill never afford a Tesla and I don’t care. They can do what they like as a private business.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Given the extreme ease and high reliability of the Supercharging network, no Tesla owner is ever going to choose to use any other rapid unless they really have too. Not only are most rapids more expensive than Superchargers, they are also a lot more hassle to use.

There's also an issue as to why on earth cars from any particular manufacturer should be discriminated against, it seems wholly wrong to me. Anyone that needs to charge should be able to charge, irrespective of what car they happen to own.

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,607 Posts
Public charging points are available to anyone, including Tesla owners. Superchargers are installed and paid for by Tesla. Purchasing a Tesla means that you have contributed to financing this infrastructure. Other EV owners haven’t. Fortunately, at places such as the new Rugby MSA, I believe Superchargers are cheaper to use than Ecotricity so most Tesla drivers will use them, allowing other EV owners unhindered (by Tesla vehicles at least) access to the Electric Highway.

Reactions: TJEV

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,156 Posts
The Tesla SC network isn’t as widespread as many think, and many Tesla drivers still rely on the public charging network as well. Where they are though, it seems to have been done ‘right’.

I believe that Tesla have always said that other manufacturers can come and join the SC party, but none have taken them up on it yet.

The public network is growing rapidly though, pretty soon we won’t need to look at the SC network with quite so green eyes!

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
The big advantage the Supercharger network has (apart from high reliability and pretty rapid charging rates) is that Tesla have implemented a brilliant back end solution for billing, so all you have to do is plug the car in, and their back end takes care of everything else. Your account just gets debited automatically, no faffing around with menus, apps, cards or whatever, it's literally just plug in and charge. All the other charging providers could do exactly the same, as the protocol is there to ID the car when it plugs in. So far, none of them have got around to designing a back end billing system that uses this, AFAIK.

It's this absence of any controls, screens, card readers etc on Superchargers that means that any other car manufacturer that wants to take Tesla up on their offer has to implement a billing system that works just like Teslas. It seems that none yet do, hence the problem. It's not a problem with any car with CCS, as they can all pass the ID data to the charger, and do already.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
22,589 Posts
Is it fair for tesla owners to use non tesla chargers when other non-tesla ev owners (like myself) can't really use the tesla chargers?
Isn’t it up to the chargepoint owner who they allow to use their network?

I mean if you want to start a charging network that excludes Teslas, go right ahead.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I had a Tesla and didn't have and EVSE at home for 5 montsh so all my charging was on non Tesla chargers except when I was doing longer motorway journeys. Would you really expect me to drive 30 miles out of my way on a 20 mile commute just to charge the car ? Perhaps OP should consider banning anyone who has private health insurance from using NHS services, and if you have a train season ticket you are not allowed to ride a bus.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,873 Posts
Given the extreme ease and high reliability of the Supercharging network, no Tesla owner is ever going to choose to use any other rapid unless they really have too. Not only are most rapids more expensive than Superchargers, they are also a lot more hassle to use.

There's also an issue as to why on earth cars from any particular manufacturer should be discriminated against, it seems wholly wrong to me. Anyone that needs to charge should be able to charge, irrespective of what car they happen to own.
Except in Scotland, where superchargers are fewer and further apart. A M3 owner was using the CPS charger at Erskine last thursday when the netork went down. That particular charger only allowed one DC charge at a time so I had to wait for him to complete his charger. I don't have a problem with who uses the public chargers, but I don't think its correct to assume every Tesla owner will avoid them as a matter of routine.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Personally I'm wholly
Except in Scotland, where superchargers are fewer and further apart. A M3 owner was using the CPS charger at Erskine last thursday when the netork went down. That particular charger only allowed one DC charge at a time so I had to wait for him to complete his charger. I don't have a problem with who uses the public chargers, but I don't think its correct to assume every Tesla owner will avoid them as a matter of routine.
Not at all what I meant. What I meant was that, if there was a choice on any route between a Supercharger and any other rapid, then a Tesla owner would be barking mad to use a non-Tesla charger, just because it would almost certainly be faster, a lot easier to use and generally far more reliable.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,873 Posts
Personally I'm wholly

Not at all what I meant. What I meant was that, if there was a choice on any route between a Supercharger and any other rapid, then a Tesla owner would be barking mad to use a non-Tesla charger, just because it would almost certainly be faster, a lot easier to use and generally far more reliable.
Okay, that makes more sense.

·
Registered
237 Posts
That all depends, when I had a Tesla if | stopped at motorway services and it has both Tesla and non Tesla then I am going to use the supercharger, I'll also optimised my rute to pass superchargers but there arent enough of them. For instance I regularly travel to Wetheby from the south of England, I can't charge at my destination and the last supercharger I pass on the motoway is 70 miles south at Woodall services. If I am feeling flush and want to be sure of a charge I could stop at the Ionitys at Skelton or to save time and have more charge for running around I could take a chance on the one Ecotricity CCS at Wetherby services. I am now in the other camp anyway as I have an I3 s its probably going to be Skelton on the next trip.

·
Super Moderator
11,951 Posts
Hi All,

Would love to hear your opinions.

Thanks.
Of course it is. They are paying customers at a public charger.

Here in North Wales there is only one Supercharger so visitors have to go off network.

·
Registered
397 Posts
if and when Gridserve upgrade motorway services to have more rapid chargers, I’d be more likely to want to use those on a family road trip than to travel to some of the superchargers. Some places like Rugby or Membury they’re in the same place so you can stop and have some food, go to the toilet etc. But for long trips we’d ideally like to be in a position where we don’t think about charging - we just stop when we need to, and charge at the same time. More likely that’d be on motorway chargers than hotel car park superchargers etc.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Tesla could just open their network to all other EV's and do what Ionity do unless you are on the 'approved' list, rip you off. Heck make it £1.25 per kWh, I am sure the OP would be happy with this sort of thing given the weird question in the first place.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I once saw a Tesla Model S charging on AC at one of the two Ecotricity chargers at Birmingham Hilton Park (where there were 11 empty supercharger bays). Presumably they were taking advantage of a free vend but I'd have been pretty pissed off if I turned up in a Zoe and had to wait.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Personally I'm wholly

And considerably cheaper. 😀

·
Registered
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
992 Posts
So what do you think OP?

I can see how when there’s a queue people might slightly resent Teslas for being there when there are other options, but it reminds me of the moaning that I used to read on here about PHEVs. How they shouldn’t be allowed to use public chargers because they have the option of burning fuel and therefore don’t need the charge the way an EV would. The problem is that once you go down this road, it’s hard to know where to stop. Rapids reserved for cars with a range of under 200 miles? 1st generation Leafs?

I hope that people will be thoughtful about the needs of others and avoid competing for a charger if they don’t really need it. I like to think that’s my approach, but clearly not everyone’s.

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, HS PHEV
2,810 Posts
The only reason I’d get Tesla is so I always have a reliable fallback. I have nothing against Tesla using public charging network

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
686 Posts
I once saw a Tesla Model S charging on AC at one of the two Ecotricity chargers at Birmingham Hilton Park (where there were 11 empty supercharger bays). Presumably they were taking advantage of a free vend but I'd have been pretty pissed off if I turned up in a Zoe and had to wait.
What rate does a model s charge at on AC? It's interesting that newer chargers don't have AC, Eg instavolt, and personally I think all "rapid" AC chargers should have a minimum charge rate, of Eg 20kW to stop people clogging them up charging at 3.6kW or 7kW or even 11kW. It's too slow to tie up a resource like that, opportunity cost and all that.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts