Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picking up on a detail up from another thread or two..
Tesla's big issues are circa 2025 when all the major manufacturers will be producing £20k EV cars with 200-300 mile range. Will their expansion and economies of scale be able to take on Detroit. This was an excellent point made on Transport Evolved by John Voelcker last week .
My guess is that Tesla are trying to do something to combat this concern. they are offering something with a Tesla car that no one else is offering... Access to the Tesla Supercharger Network.

Now Tesla are positioning to make supercharger available to other manufactures (Patent Free?) as an open (anyone can use) network with subscription cost to use (either manufacturer or customer).

This could mean that even when Detroit is mass producing, Tesla could have Monopoly control over critical recharging infrastructure. and hence remain a big industry player, possibly the biggest?

So where does Ecotricity come in? Ecotricity is probably the first open national network, and are openly happy for Tesla to use their infrastructure.. And just maybe they can see a monopoly in recharging infrastructure too, So much so that Ecotricity have moved to protect this with exclusivity contracts at service stations, contracts that Tesla may be trying to overcome or circumvent (we use different connectors guys we don't compete honest!) which has already led to court action.

So we have two Infrastructure providers looking to provide open charging for all makes and models both seeking monopoly control over the UK's charging infrastructure.. Which only leaves one outcome, and in the words of Harry Hill, "FIGHT!"

So what will we see happening next? I'd put money on Tesla allowing access to car-side patents to get everyone hooked on Tesla charging, (Maybe we'll see a new model from GM with a Tesla Supercharger socket) and definitely NOT allowing access to Tesla charger-side patents. These actions would confirm their plans to retain control of infrastructure. We are also likely to see further legal action from Ecotricity to protect its investment so far and to protect future revenues from the UK network. I predict this can only get uglier, as we see more jostling for control, rather than playing side by side with fair compete. I think it will not be long until we see this kind of fight emerge in other countries too.

The only remedy I can see at present for the UK would be government regulation of charging preventing exclusivity deals and allowing multiple companies fair level access to service areas. (standard price per parking bay). However Both these businesses do not want regulation, and both have the ear of the government, and have advisers working 'with' government. Both companies are working quietly, not saying much on the issue, possibly not wanting to trigger a public or government response.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Interesting assessment.

Are we certain that the exclusivity arrangements you talk about at Ecotricity locations are at the request of Ecotricity? When looking at most motorway service areas I see exclusivity at work there everywhere... you never see a Starbucks where there is a Costa; or a McD where there is a BK etc.

Unless someone has more detailed and accurate info that I have seen I think it is dangerous to assume that we know what is going on behind the scenes with Ecotricity and Tesla or what there short and long term motivations are.

So far, if I understand it correctly, the only legal action that has taken place is to protect Ecotricity NDAs. Is that not the case? If so then it is a huge leap to guess at what further legal action might occur, what it might be or who might prevail.

It seems to me to be all fluff in the wind until we see get more info... fun to talk about though ;)

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Don't forget that Tesla will allow other network vendors to co-locate at locations even supplying a power feed and meter to make things easy. I predict the motorway monopolies will be meaningless because plenty of choice locations exist just off the motorways and that's where drivers will go (especially once drivers start paying fees for using the Ecotricity network).

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
Don't forget that Tesla will allow other network vendors to co-locate at locations even supplying a power feed and meter to make things easy. I predict the motorway monopolies will be meaningless because plenty of choice locations exist just off the motorways and that's where drivers will go (especially once drivers start paying fees for using the Ecotricity network).
Ah yes, the 'free' £2000 super charger access argument.

Tesla screwed up and let someone else get the Motorway services. This wasn't by choice. Repeat. They screwed up. They just need to learn to work with others and it will all be ok.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are we certain that the exclusivity arrangements you talk about at Ecotricity locations are at the request of Ecotricity?
"An Ecotricity spokesman claimed Tesla was negotiating with a unnamed company, asking it to break off exclusivity contracts signed with Ecotricity and sign for Tesla instead." from http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/may/22/tesla-uk-utility-electric-car-charging-stations

I guess that doesn't actually mean location contracts it could be parts supply...

But if it is location, then that would only work one way, to restrict a landlord from bringing in new competing tenant, could only be a request of an existing tenant. ie ecotricity.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
They just need to learn to work with others and it will all be ok.
I think that's wishful thinking on your part... this is what Elon Musk said about Dale Vince;

"Initially when we tried working with him he started making all sorts of outrageous demands, so we thought, 'Well, OK, we'll just not work with you' – and then he sued us."

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/elon-musk-its-always-the-quiet-ones-9506963.html

I have found Tesla easy to work with and they are keen to collaborate on charging infrastructure for all cars. Personally, I suspect that if Tesla had been the first to install at Motorway Service stations we'd already have third party chargers sharing the sites.

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
"Initially when we tried working with him he started making all sorts of outrageous demands, so we thought, 'Well, OK, we'll just not work with you' – and then he sued us."
Unless it can be backed up with what those demands actually were it's kind of meaningless. Could have been as simple as an argument over sticker placement.

One man's outrageous demand is another's perfectly reasonable one :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
The question of motorway service stations might all be a storm in a non-existant tea-cup. By 2025 I would hope the range obtainable from an overnight charge would cover a day's driving. We won't need service stations (other than for a cup of tea etc). The petrol model might just be completely wrong for EVs, where you always start the day with a ”full tank”.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts