Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
680 Posts
Here's Sandy Munro's video covering the castings on the Model Y:

·
Registered
653 Posts
Yes this comment was telling. This could end up helping speed up the demise of Big Auto in Germany.

"Musk's push to reduce manufacturing complexity comes as German carmakers BMW, Mercedes and Audi face pressure from their workers to preserve domestic assembly jobs which are under threat as regulators push electric cars that have fewer components than combustion-engined ones."

Makes sense now why all the German Automakers are creating BEV sub brands , and mot multi platform BEV / ICE cars. Once they reach a tipping point they might spin off the Electric cars as a new seperate business company like Citreon did with DS.

Then they can claim Parent business ICE layoffs are due to falling sales.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I hope this isn't just another pipe dream like the Model Y wiring harness that never happened.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,835 Posts
I hope this isn't just another pipe dream like the Model Y wiring harness that never happened.
They're already doing it on the Model Y, this is just about doing more of it.

The wiring harness will come eventually. Like everything else with Tesla.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Hasn't happened yet, surely?

I am sure they cut corners to get the Y out much sooner than expected, maybe the new harness will be on the EU built cars. :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Nope, it's been quietly dropped. It's good to innovate but to be frank Tesla need to perfect their current production methods first and up their quality standards before coming out with more ideas and self promotion on manufacturing processes that may or may not happen.

I'm also confused with the article cross referring the Musk announcement of this new casting technique with the deliver of new presses. Are they casting parts or pressing them?

They need to drop the "Giga" on everything too, it's almost as daft as Lucid with their naming strategy.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,835 Posts
They need to drop the "Giga" on everything too, it's almost as daft as Lucid with their naming strategy.
The 'Giga' refers to the battery production capacity. Sorry if it annoys you so much.

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is a bit of both, injecting molten aluminium into a cast, and forming the parts while being pressed and cooling.
I've not delved into it, but I imagine it combines casting with an element of forging.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,876 Posts
I've not delved into it, but I imagine it combines casting with an element of forging.
There is also an additional magic alloy! It reminds me of the magic Tesla FSD. 😇

1 - 14 of 14 Posts