Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Tesla quietly adds bidirectional charging capability for game-changing new features

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Jon G 
#1 ·
#6 ·
Maybe I'm naive but V2G seems a very transient technology. I would be surprised if in 10 years we didn't look back and laugh about it like many technologies. The ability to store more energy cheaply and without trashing the planet will just keep improving and domestic needs through improved efficiencies will fall. Some people struggle with range anxiety preventing adoption as it is, the prospect of going to your car and finding it not as charged as it was when you left it would not be a good feeling at times for even hardened EV owners.

#7 ·
Maybe I'm naive but range anxiety seems a very transient issue. I would be surprised if in 10 years we didn't look back and laugh about it like many technologies. The ability to store more energy cheaply and without trashing the planet will just keep improving and travel needs through WFH will fall. Some people struggle with V2G preventing adoption as it is, the prospect of going to your house and finding it not as powered by the car as it was when you left it would not be a good feeling at times for even hardened V2G owners.

#10 ·
You've copied my words almost verbatim with some changes but I'm struggling to understand the point you're making.

The battery life cycle was said to be install them in cars and then reuse the cells as domestic power walls - so why do you also need V2G other than transiently as there will be a glut of batteries in a few years as cars start beiong taken off the road for other reasons? The million mile battery being a great headline but little else as cars don't go for a thousand miles for a million other reasons than the engine, and Tesla talk a good story but quietly slash the unlimited mile battery warranty to 100k miles or so - actions always speak louder than words.

The average house uses less than 10kwh of electricity per day, so the domestic sttorage requirement for self sufficiently is what? With battery prices already falling to around £100 per kwh a household may decide to spend £500 -£1000 on storage in the not too distant future if they wanted to be self sifficnet for a day without needing the car battery - thats if they are bothered by it at all.

The car also needs to be attached to the grid to charge and discharge when required - so large numbers of cars as a pooled, financial incentives to make it worthwhile to each car to be part of the scheme, or you build battery banks in hot spot areas where the storage is needed (which Tesla have applied to do).

Up to a point I think we'll laugh at the existing battery technology just as we're laughing at lead acid batteries, dial up internet, and a host of other technologies. V2G may be a short term phase but long term its going to be incredibly crude.

If you want to place your bets then the technologies such as smart buildings that alter demand by large corporate users such as those that turn down air conditioning in office blocks for short periods of time when demand is high, car chargers that throttle the charge rate to smooth demand or make use of cheaper electricity or capture solar production, etc all seem more viable, easier to implement, and exist now.

#11 ·
Up to a point I think we'll laugh at the existing battery technology just as we're laughing at lead acid batteries, dial up internet, and a host of other technologies.
They're all important steps along the way, they're nothing to laugh at.

I expect V2G seems like another sensible step forward towards some kind of shared/peer-to-peer local generation, I bet they'll learn loads doing it.

#12 ·
They're all important steps along the way, they're nothing to laugh at.

I expect V2G seems like another sensible step forward towards some kind of shared/peer-to-peer local generation, I bet they'll learn loads doing it.
I think you’ve missed my point completely

I’m saying V2G isn’t a long term solution, I’ve said nothing about it not being a transitional technology other than there being more effective ways to help smooth demand which are also easier to implement, and one might also ask how much demand smoothing do we really need.

#9 ·
While I'm not going to blindly believe any article stating amazing features that are unannounced, I'm not going to agree that it's fully debunked based on a PCB from a 2018 model. There's been a lot of improvements with the Y and it shares most of its components with the 3, so it's still possible that that the newer boards fitted to the Y and 3 may have transistors rather than diodes to allow vehicle to grid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.