Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Yeah, it's a quite significant drop.

Makes the price in the UK and Ireland look expensive in comparison.

Some are speculating it's to do with the exchange rate, with the US dollar losing quite a lot in the past year to the Euro.

But the Pound has performed pretty much the same over the past 9 months, grown to its strongest point against the dollar for about 3 years.

I hope they bring the UK prices more in line with the prices in Europe, at least in time for the Model Y release.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Surely it's just about supply and demand? With several new releases in Europe and the growing supply of the ID.3 perhaps Tesla want to make their cars even more attractive. Possibly also ahead of the launch of Giga Berlin manufactured cars later on this year.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,499 Posts
Dollar strength Vs Euro plays a part.
But doesn't explain the Irish prices. The cars coming from Shanghai might as I'm not aware of any RHD ones reaching Europe yet.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,499 Posts
Tesla are just like any other company - they charge what they can get away with. If you want prices to come down then people need to stop buying them!
Having a differential across countries is different from controlling demand via pricing. Ignoring different specifications in different markets the only real issue should be the currency risk. Perhaps they are predicting that the Euro will devalue compared to the £ and hence they'll receive the profit that way. :rolleyes: :devilish:

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,499 Posts
Market share is the least of their objectives. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if they intend to not sell the most EVs.
But sales quantity is still desirable for their profitability - Musk keeps trying to achieve greater targets.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,499 Posts
Is that really on the 39,990 Euro price? So they effectively only pay 30,990 Euro so about £27,500? o_O Surely the 39,990 Euro is after the environmental bonus, meaning a more normal sale price for Tesla of 48,990 Euro.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts