Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully, other networks follow suit but as far as I'm aware you can't get 250kW charging for 34p anywhere else.

That is very good from Tesla, I hope it's not a flash in the pan and they keep it this cheap, I almost don't know how they're doing it, aside from a 4-hour peak window, it's cheaper to charge at a supercharger than it is at home for me during my 20 hours peak window.

Some locations will be a little higher or lower than this but you have to give Tesla some credit, I took these two photos less than 24 hours apart, the first one with no knowledge at all that a price drop would happen I just was showing my brother what an average supercharger costs.

Rectangle Font Slope Parallel Pattern

Font Slope Rectangle Pattern Parallel

·
Registered
Volkswagen Golf GTE
917 Posts
My own personal view is perhaps that before, the prices may have been artificially inflated beyond the actual cost to them, just on the basis that they were to cover their own backs. Now things in the energy markets are still high, but much more settled than they were and easier to predict.

·
Registered
Tesla Model Y LR '72 & Nissan Leaf 24 '64
2,053 Posts
Check on the app for charge non-Tesla. It's 49p/kWh and 62p/kWh for non-members (I think, I don't have a charge non-tesla membership). I checked in the car, all those sites are at similar price to Trumpington for Tesla drivers.

Great news all round. Makes driving long distances "super easy, barely an inconvenience". ;)

·
Registered
MG4 Trophy
6 Posts
I suspect they have reduced the prices to try and stop the cancellation of orders. The amount of availability is very surprising, which will be done to people deciding now is not the time for an EV. So for Tesla it's better to cover their electricity costs, drop the price and gain customers for the cars.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 58kWh
261 Posts
BTw @lucasfunkt, why is the Ionity speed shown as "160kW max" if they are usually 350kW units. Is that showing how much your Tesla can take? Non-Tesla owner asking ;)

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Might it be that the reduced prices only apply to Tesla and not non-tesla charging?

I still get free supercharging and didn't pay attention to the price at my local 150kw but the price still comes up on my screen and did seem lower than previously?

Also as for order cancellations, there are so many flooding the used market now, the prices are dropping, and I think maybe a lot of people are happy buying a used one, saving near £13-15k off RRP (model 3 example)

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Might it be that the reduced prices only apply to Tesla and not non-tesla charging?

I still get free supercharging and didn't pay attention to the price at my local 150kw but the price still comes up on my screen and did seem lower than previously?

Also as for order cancellations, there are so many flooding the used market now, the prices are dropping, and I think maybe a lot of people are happy buying a used one, saving near £13-15k off RRP (model 3 example)
Nope, not the case

Product Font Screenshot Darkness Number

Same price as for Teslas with membership and even without its still the cheapest rapid network at the moment.

·
Registered
Tesla Model Y LR '72 & Nissan Leaf 24 '64
2,053 Posts
BTw @lucasfunkt, why is the Ionity speed shown as "160kW max" if they are usually 350kW units. Is that showing how much your Tesla can take? Non-Tesla owner asking ;)
I believe it's the 400v vs 800v difference. For all 400v cars, Ionity are 160 kW max.
Out of interest, what max charging speed do you get in your car? Is it 800v?

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
The max I have seen at an Ionity with an MX is 150kw on the nose for a few minutes. It was ace!
Faster than I've ever had at a supercharger site.

I think the price drop is in response to the likes of bonnet offering cheap prices for a long time and Elli/Ionity(with membership) cutting into sales.
With less and less free charge cars on the road and more paying for charging, they can afford to take the hit if they have to pay more for the leccy. And don't forget, Tesla is a MASSIVE consumer of electrons, the highest of any charging network in the country I'd bet and with Christmas coming up as well as purse strings tightening, they are probably just trying to do what they can to keep those orders coming in. Wait times aren't that long but I know someone who's been waiting for an MYLR since June and they paid a deposit way before that, albeit it's a rare apec she's already a good few grand less than current prices. £1k alone for thr towbar option she chose 🤣

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22)
676 Posts
Tesla have presumably decided they can afford to sell at a loss to increase their market share. And after all the main point of the Supercharger network for years was to sell cars rather than make money, right? I guess it can only help in that regard.
May as well take advantage of it if you can. I'm pleased to see they've introduced off-peak pricing, I think that's the future. Geniepoint and Osprey (the latter if you have Octopus Electroverse) are doing an off-peak slot too now but not quite as cheap as this.

P.S. Ionity chargers are 500A. The charging peak depends on just what the voltage of a '400V' car is. For example an i4 is really a little over 400V even at low SoC and will peak at 210kw. I understand Teslas have relatively low voltage.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Tesla buying price has very little to do with todays prices but what contracts they have, past tense and what future contracts.

IF Zap maps is anything to go by the Tesla chargers seem to have an extremely low usage rate and i wonder if Tesla have not sold the contractual amount for say 2022 and have to have a bit of a fire sale to fulfill the contract.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Tesla have presumably decided they can afford to sell at a loss to increase their market share. And after all the main point of the Supercharger network for years was to sell cars rather than make money, right? I guess it can only help in that regard.
May as well take advantage of it if you can. I'm pleased to see they've introduced off-peak pricing, I think that's the future. Geniepoint and Osprey (the latter if you have Octopus Electroverse) are doing an off-peak slot too now but not quite as cheap as this.

P.S. Ionity chargers are 500A. The charging peak depends on just what the voltage of a '400V' car is. For example an i4 is really a little over 400V even at low SoC and will peak at 210kw. I understand Teslas have relatively low voltage.
Yes, Tesla are still 400v but higher amperage for faster charging.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22)
676 Posts
Yes, Tesla are still 400v but higher amperage for faster charging.
I'm not sure of you mean the car's or the chargers. AIUI there are pros and cons of both.
If you drive a Tesla, you get the best charging rate at Superchargers because both car and charger are designed to transfer high current at relatively low voltage. You get (I think?) a lower charge rate than some other cars at non-Tesla chargers because of the car's low voltage (lower than most 400V cars as well as obviously 800V cars).
If you drive an 800V car, you will get faster charging at any non-Tesla high power charger than you will at a supercharger, as the superchargers are limited voltage (480V I think?) However that's enough for any nominal 400V car, so a non Tesla nominally 400V car should see fairly equal charging performance whether they stop at Ionity or a Supercharger (I'm not aware if there are any non Tesla cars that take >500A and could therefore benefit from a supercharger, I don't think so.)

·
Registered
976 Posts
I've donwloaded the Tesla app and created a "charge my non Tesla" account now that their charges are competitive. But I can't see how to add any payment details, a d the app won't let me search for chargers, just says there are none in range (there's a public Tesla site about 20 miles away).
Am I missing something or will it all just magically work and ask me for payment details whe I rock up at a supercharger site?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I've donwloaded the Tesla app and created a "charge my non Tesla" account now that their charges are competitive. But I can't see how to add any payment details, a d the app won't let me search for chargers, just says there are none in range (there's a public Tesla site about 20 miles away).
Am I missing something or will it all just magically work and ask me for payment details whe I rock up at a supercharger site?
With my Android app, the "Account" part of the app has a menu item : "Wallet" which allows for entering CC details.
The available sites appear on the map after pressing the "Search this region" screen button at the top of the map - provided there are some in that map area!

·
Registered
VW ID.3 58kWh
261 Posts
I believe it's the 400v vs 800v difference. For all 400v cars, Ionity are 160 kW max.
Out of interest, what max charging speed do you get in your car? Is it 800v?
ID.3 is 400V car and below is my quickest charge so far at Ionity

1 - 20 of 22 Posts