Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Superchargers are Teslas. I guess they have the right to refuse access to anyone they wish.
You have missed the point. They are removing the ability to use 3rd party rapid chargers not just Superchargers which would be fine.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,980 Posts
Which cars? Are they the 90 pack ones that were always a bit iffy or is it more across the board?

I'd be livid if I'd bought a Tesla and rapid charging was turned off. I'd think they'd get lawsuits if there was insufficient warning.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Which cars? Are they the 90 pack ones that were always a bit iffy or is it more across the board?

I'd be livid if I'd bought a Tesla and rapid charging was turned off. I'd think they'd get lawsuits if there was insufficient warning.
Watching the video it would seem that Tesla have amended their T&Cs and it applies to all cars.

·
Registered
16,963 Posts
You have missed the point. They are removing the ability to use 3rd party rapid chargers not just Superchargers which would be fine.
OK, so imagine a scenario where someone puts a salvaged car back in the road that has a dangerous flaw in the HV system.

The guy connects it to a rapid charger. A fire starts or someone gets electrocuted.

Do you think the charging network is going to come after the owner or Tesla?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, so imagine a scenario where someone puts a salvaged car back in the road that has a dangerous flaw in the HV system.

The guy connects it to a rapid charger. A fire starts or someone gets electrocuted.

Do you think the charging network is going to come after the owner or Tesla?
I don't think you have watched the video. If you have I suggest you give it another go.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I also thought the idea that FSD is sold to the person was a bit iffy as I’m sure if you bought a model 3 with FSD and then upgraded to a better car your would still have to purchase the FSD package again but the person buying your original model 3 doesn’t get the FSD package with it, if I’m interpreting what Rich said right It’s a bit of a money grab.
If all that’s true I could see it hurting Tesla’s image.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,980 Posts
So if you buy a salvaged car that's not been signed off as safe by Tesla they retain the right to disable rapid charging? Is that basically the story?

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I think there is a difference between someone who rebuilds a car as a personal project, and someone who does the bare minimum to resell the car
for profit.

In that second case, it is possible that a punter buys a car which has been previously written off, but doesn't know it.

Then, when the car catches fire, the punter will go back to Tesla under the terms of the warranty, at which point Tesla have a bit of a problem. Because their fire warranty doesn't discriminate against salvage cars...

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,980 Posts
HPI checks show write offs. I also assume anyone can ask Tesla and get them to check the VIN to make sure it's ok too.

Autotrader also does so if it's listed on that as a write off then just don't buy it.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I can see up to a point the supercharger point, but any rapid charging is nothing to do with them just as if I bought a written off bmw put back on the road BMW aren’t going to stop me putting petrol in and if anything goes wrong the repairer will have the awkward questions.

I wish some of the Tesla fanboys went through the thought process of ‘if BMW did this what would I think?’as they’d pretty much invariably reach a different conclusion, be that this, buggy software, 2 month waits for a service appointment, design defect parts like heaters, MCU issues etc.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I can see up to a point the supercharger point, but any rapid charging is nothing to do with them just as if I bought a written off bmw put back on the road BMW aren’t going to stop me putting petrol in and if anything goes wrong the repairer will have the awkward questions.

I wish some of the Tesla fanboys went through the thought process of ‘if BMW did this what would I think?’as they’d pretty much invariably reach a different conclusion, be that this, buggy software, 2 month waits for a service appointment, design defect parts like heaters, MCU issues etc.
I wonder if Tesla do it to protect the battery pack & any subsequent claim on that also, not just to protect third party rapid chargers & any claims they might have to fix those.
:unsure:
You got me thinking, should it be a bit like WWBD :D

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I wonder what the manufacturer's policy would be on a fuel-cell vehicle. On the one hand, they don't have control over whether or not the car can be fuelled, but on the other hand, if a salvage FCV blew up after being put back on the road, it is not going to play very well for the manufacturer (or for the technology).

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I wonder if Tesla do it to protect the battery pack & any subsequent claim on that also, not just to protect third party rapid chargers & any claims they might have to fix those.
:unsure:
You got me thinking, should it be a bit like WWBD :D
Why would they be liable for any of that? The cars been written off, there's no warranty for Tesla to pay for anything or liability of the car anymore. Tesla will just point to the repairer and say "talk to them"

The repairer has to take liability for the things they are putting things on the road that are related to their work, I don't see why anyone would think itsd any more complicated than that. But over and above all that, sh1t does happen and the world copes, knobbling a car based on some sense of saving the world is a bit rich comiing from a manufacturer that does little to stop autopilot being used in the dumbest of locations by some of the dumbest people who subsequently film themselves

·
Chartered Engineer
1,859 Posts
As others have pointed out this applies to salvage vehicles where Tesla have not verified the quality of the rebuild. In that case disabling the ability to rapid charge does seem sensible and if the T&C's make that clear there should be no argument. If the person buying the salvage vehicle is mislead or doesn't read the small print then it isn't really Tesla's problem. This isn't about Tesla removing features that owners have paid for.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
As others have pointed out this applies to salvage vehicles where Tesla have not verified the quality of the rebuild. In that case disabling the ability to rapid charge does seem sensible and if the T&C's make that clear there should be no argument. If the person buying the salvage vehicle is mislead or doesn't read the small print then it isn't really Tesla's problem.
Indeed, but there is a bit of a discrepancy with the last wording change (and if this actually ever happened is debatable) as even if you paid the ~£3.5k to have a salvaged car 'certified' by Tesla they still reserve the right to stop all DC charging.

IMHO yes this is wrong but clearly this is a kneejerk reaction to limit the burning-down-Teslae news stories rather than a liable debate.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts