Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
At first I thought that this was a particularly stupid and potentially dangerous feature for Tesla to just release to the public. Regardless of the number of warnings Tesla make people will always just do their own thing and in spite of Tesla saying "keep your hands on the wheel" and "only for motorway driving" etc it is no surprise at all that some people aren't following that advice.

However, on reflection I think my opinion is now slightly different.

You can never take account of idiots, no matter how hard you try. If Tesla say don't use off motorway and you do and have trouble then surely it cannot be considered the fault of Tesla? It must be considered in context with other features and equipment such as normal cruise control. You wouldn't expect Tesla, or any other manufacturer, to take responsibility if you misused cruise and had a crash as a result. This should be no different.

Yet somehow it does feel different. Perhaps that is because we are all used to cruise control and how to use it as it has been around for years. No one is used to "Autopilot" and we are all on a steep learning curve with this new technology and many people will misuse it in that learning process. It is version 1 tech and so there is bound to be an acclimatisation period. The trick is to make sure no one gets hurt in the process and that is the challenge.

So, here is a thought... maybe Tesla should be more pro-active to ensure that each and every driver is fully aware of the limitations of the system and, for example, only activate Autopilot once the owner has had a short training session in a dealership and signed to say they have received it.

In the meantime, this is an incremental step towards automation and I for one welcome the bold move Tesla is making in that regard.

·
9,719 Posts
The fact still remains BMW/Merc et al have had more advanced systems than this in the wild for many years without so much of a problem, because a) it requires hands on wheel and b) GPS locks it to roads where its going to work best i.e motorways.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
@Paul_Churchley I'm with @Jack Tesla could have done the same as Merc and insisted there was a hand on the wheel at all times, or like BMW and used geo-fencing.

The issue with that is they demonstrated a feature at launch before it was ready for release, and set expectations of completely hands off driving, which they then sold under the promise of future delivery.

I suspect their mapping isn't good enough to do geo-fencing, (if the sat nav is anything to go by) so we have this situation where BETA software is out in the hands of people that will ignore the warnings.

·
Registered
296 Posts
How difficult would it be for the car to know it was on a motorway? .. and if not on a motorway, then disable most or all autopilot features.

That BBC report is hardly balanced, its more a collection of negative statements masquerading as news.

·
9,719 Posts
I think it might also be fair to say the "autopilot" system as it stands to day is a simple integration job of the MobilEye bits and pieces. There doesn't appear to be any value add here.

That said its probably amazing for the US, as the Germans have never managed to get approval for all the MobilEye gear.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
If I had $1 for every time in the last fortnight I'd posted this video (skip to 1m25s)...

Stupidity is definitely not the preserve of over-enthusiastic Tesla owners.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I think it might also be fair to say the "autopilot" system as it stands to day is a simple integration job of the MobilEye bits and pieces. There doesn't appear to be any value add here.

That said its probably amazing for the US, as the Germans have never managed to get approval for all the MobilEye gear.
From the Tesla Blog :

This combined suite of features represents the only fully integrated autopilot system involving four different feedback modules: camera, radar, ultrasonics, and GPS. These mutually reinforcing systems offer realtime data feedback from the Tesla fleet, ensuring that the system is continually learning and improving upon itself.
There is evidence over on TMC that this is actually happening:

I could see that AP lost lock on the road where Route 50 drops from a 4 lane divided highway to 2 lanes. Where the left lane merges into the right, the dashed line disappears for a while. Later on in the 2 lane section, a right turn lane comes off during a left hand curve in the road. I could see the projected course bend right and then snap back left: I had been using AP on the 4 lane stretch before the lane drop and was glad I had turned it off.

During the last couple days I have seen the projected course tracking correctly in both problem locations. The time of day, lighting and weather has been the same every time, and there were never any cars ahead to follow (I’m traveling against morning traffic). Then this morning I tried AP the whole length of my trip on 50 and it tracked perfectly.
This of course could be down to many factors, but there are other people posting with similar experiences.

If it is true that Tesla are collecting route metadata and using it to improve Autopilot for the whole fleet, then this would be a game changer. It certainly makes the concept of door-to-door autonomous driving seem a little closer.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
This of course could be down to many factors, but there are other people posting with similar experiences.

If it is true that Tesla are collecting route metadata and using it to improve Autopilot for the whole fleet, then this would be a game changer. It certainly makes the concept of door-to-door autonomous driving seem a little closer.
The CEO of MobilEye gave a really interesting talk about their technology and how it can incorporate feedback from real world road use and improve itself (both by improving the algorithms, and also by buildling up a database of specific trouble spots). My guess is that Tesla are simply enabling this, which is great. I imagine there's some fun licensing implications about ownership of that data and the improvements that it produces in Mobileye's product.

·
Banned
4,591 Posts
I'm not sure what the fuss is about, a P85D can reach speeds that'll land you in jail with-in a few seconds at full throttle. It's not Tesla's or another car manufactures responsibility if people are idiots and do stupid things....

Tesla isn't forcing people to use autopilot, just like there is no law to say you have to drive at 100% throttle all the time. There is nothing stopping people from driving ANY car, auto-pilot or not without 2 hands on the wheel. Infact I'm pretty sure I see it every day, people drinking coffee, playing on their phones etc, it's all down to the user.

If people are that concerned about public safety, as @donald like to point out, we should limit all cars to the speed limit via the ECU, limit acceleration to 0-60 in 10 seconds :)

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
For me the fuss is about if the tech in the cars as delivered is up to the task, or indeed if the market is ready, and whether or not Tesla have scored an own goal with this.

It's certainly a tough call right now as to whether in the long term it was the right decision to make, or if playing it safe ala Mercedes would have been a more prudent option, given the other monumental challenges involved in getting the 3 out the door, and the giga factory built.

Personally I feel Tesla are flapping at the moment, a big part of which I believe is down to delays in the X. Commercially the message is mixed, coming down market with the 70D (and S70) yet at the same time trying to push tech not quite ready at the higher end to produce good gross margins in the more expensive cars, yet keep up volume. How long until they hit market saturation?

It's good they can be adaptive in their plans (which was originally S, X, AWD S) but throwing out plans, or masking underlying issues with spin, can bite you in the backside.

(Can I mention doors at this point?)

·
Registered
321 Posts
[QUOTE="That BBC report is hardly balanced, its more a collection of negative statements masquerading as news.[/QUOTE]
Since when have BBC reports ever been balanced! lol. Journalists love to exaggerate stories that to the layman sound horrendous.... I do like the Tesla brand because of the innovation they bring.... but as pointed out, you cannot accommodate for stupid people in this world.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts