Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that Tesla UK are selling a few Model S through BCA auctions. Is this normal practice? I wondered why they don't add them to their used inventory? Are they not confident to add a warranty or don't want to bring them up to show room condition?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,777 Posts
Yes, this has been the case for a while hence the poor trade-in values with Tesla.

I guess they want to focus on shifting new cars and don’t want the headcount and storage issues in dealing with CPO.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
The use BCA as a storage compound, there's a large one by Rockigham, so not surprised they also use them for auction. Maybe ones that fail their QA process although the price they list some of the used cars for varies from crazy cheap to crazy expensive. A couple of MX P100Ds with FSD and fresh 4 year warranty have gone through recently for mid 60k, a good 10k below market. I'm at the point where I'm tempted to buy one and just flip it after 6 months.

·
Registered
25 Posts
There’s a model 3 going through Derby on the 12th but it’s a grade 2 which for an 8 month old car isn’t too good.
Lots of chips and scratches on the report along with a dent. It also mentions some facia trim missing. It will be interesting to see what it fetches.

·
My Evezy.co.uk referral code: b4552
Tesla Model 3 SR
420 Posts
The use BCA as a storage compound, there's a large one by Rockigham, so not surprised they also use them for auction. Maybe ones that fail their QA process although the price they list some of the used cars for varies from crazy cheap to crazy expensive. A couple of MX P100Ds with FSD and fresh 4 year warranty have gone through recently for mid 60k, a good 10k below market. I'm at the point where I'm tempted to buy one and just flip it after 6 months.
What we need Jon, is a button on your site saying ‘this car is a bloody good deal buy it now!’ Especially seeing as I’m in the market for another Tesla 😂

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Especially seeing as I’m in the market for another Tesla 😂
Give us a clue, what are you looking for? :)

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
What we need Jon, is a button on your site saying ‘this car is a bloody good deal buy it now!’ Especially seeing as I’m in the market for another Tesla 😂
There's a guy I'm working with in Switzerland and over there some cars are listed at such a good price they've sold within 10 mins - we're at a point where we're looking at which country to route via as I suspect they're using a content management system and the changes take a few minutes to spread around the world and an extra minute or two might make the difference. Its crazy that Tesla list them so cheaply and you have to ready to buy without much thinking time.

·
Tesla Model 3 SR
420 Posts
There's a guy I'm working with in Switzerland and over there some cars are listed at such a good price they've sold within 10 mins - we're at a point where we're looking at which country to route via as I suspect they're using a content management system and the changes take a few minutes to spread around the world and an extra minute or two might make the difference. Its crazy that Tesla list them so cheaply and you have to ready to buy without much thinking time.
Ooh I’m interested...

·
Tesla Model 3 SR
420 Posts
The weird thing is that Tesla’s own pricing is all over the shop. Some are listed way too high and then sit there weeks with the price reducing until they reach price parity with the market and the Tesla warranty is the clincher for buyers, others, as you say, go on mega cheap and are sold that day.

as for the ones that disappear and reappear? Deposits put down and then cancelled?

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Had a peak at what they have on offer just now, they have a Model S P100D with Autopilot on for same as paid for mine with FSD on it, with a quite significant ding in the offside rear arch.

I would have thought that is a candidate for the auction route as I struggle to see someone shelling out £60k+ with a big ding in it :(, there are pictures on there now which is better, but if i had turned up to find that on my car I was going to purchase, I would have jumped back in the 85D and driven home.

Probably because it would p!ss me off looking at it every time i walked up to the car, being on the drivers side.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Prices are genuinely all over the place with a Tesla. I take Biffas point, yet they also listed a MX P100D with FSD for about 18k under the market rate. I was tempted for a while just to sell it on in 3 months probably at a profit. Sod’s law though says they’d bring out a revised MX before I did and I’d lose money.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Probably sorted with pointless dent repair for a few £100.
I know they don't do much to tidy them up but I struggle to see that if all that needs is paintless dent repair then why it would not seem sensible to do it. Although as I understand it aluminium is quite different from steel in respect of deformation and repairs. There is also a scuff across the nearside front bumper which needs painting/ touching up but that would bother me less than the dent.

The car is not priced keenly as all, there have been similar cars without the dent and with FSD priced in and nearly £10k less recently, which is probably why I am so surprised.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I've a hunch they use some kind of machine learning model that tries to work out the price and a 90D sells in Australia reducing global CPO inventory by 1 and they push up all the similar car prices, but have 3 90Ds for sale and the price is slashed until one sells. I'm sure I've seen P cars be advertised for less than the equivalent non P.

And if I'm right, it also explains why the ML/AI/Deep rain windscreen wiper algorythm is a tad unpredictable at times.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
I know they don't do much to tidy them up but I struggle to see that if all that needs is paintless dent repair then why it would not seem sensible to do it.
It is assume that cars at auctions will be brought by garages that can often do their own repairs at times when the staff have no other work.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts