Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
TSLA closed at $1025 per share and $190bn market cap.
Just a dead cat bounce according to a prominent poster on here馃槈

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Time to raise some more capital, and build another 5 battery and car factories. :D
Already happening for the UK!

Premium Member
Fantastic news if true re the potential UK plant, the more EVs available the better AFAIC.

Registered
It's a fantastic achievement, well done Tesla. It's not easy building a car company from nothing into a going concern. It has an exciting future and I'm glad to be on board.

EVEZY code -拢50 off: d409e
Already happening for the UK!
UK would be a good place to start selling the Semi I guess :sneaky: Small country, high fuel prices..

Registered
Who would want a Semi though... ;)

On a non juvenile note the share price is settling back down again after that large peak

Registered
Who would want a Semi though... ;)

On a non juvenile note the share price is settling back down again after that large peak
It just followed the market down though really, it dropped the day(s) that the DOW went from ~27.3k to ~25.1k, which is almost 10%.
I'm not saying it was a bit ambitious or overvalued, just not the only reason.

Registered
As predicted, back up to $993 so far, pretty sure it'll hit $1100 before the Q2 results are out, and it them may drop back. Lets see what battery day offers, when it happens.

I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
TSLA closed at $1025 per share and $190bn market cap.
Just a dead cat bounce according to a prominent poster on here馃槈
I was wrong, and I admitted it. I am not used to bubble-valuations.

I am still struggling to understand the implications of that capitalisation. Its pricing is not following usual stock market rules.. If people are buying shares at this price, what long term prospects are they expecting to profit from?

A higher share price does not magically put new money into Tesla coffers, they still have to execute their business plan with what they have now.

At the present performance, even optimistic projection, it looks to me that Tesla could outperform every auto maker on the planet for the rest of the investors life and they would still not see a return on their capital. But I have not sat and done the sums of that, so again I might be completely wrong about it.

We live in very very strange times, that's all I have to say about it really.

Reactions: Jon G

Registered
I was wrong, and I admitted it. I am not used to bubble-valuations.
Reminds me of the dotcom boom in the late 90's early 2k's. You only need to look at companies like Nikola, and Rivian (non-public) and their associated valuations, one or both could fail, or more likely be bought up by a larger competitor somewhere down the line. If bought up then you realise return on your investment (sometimes), and if they fail then huge sums of money is lost, normally in a very short amount of time, as I am sure you are well aware.

I think the 'new' energy sector could be as big as oil eventually, and the part a company like Telsa plays in this role is pivotal, they could end up like the GE of our time, with fingers in lots of pies, from cars, to power stations, to batteries, computer chips, and I.P. then there is energy supply, insurance etc.

Where does it end, how much would a company the size and value of someone like Shell, Toyota, and E.On put together be worth? It's certainly all to play for between now an 2040+, and as always only time will tell.

I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
Reminds me of the dotcom boom in the late 90's early 2k's. You only need to look at companies like Nikola, and Rivian (non-public) and their associated valuations, one or both could fail, or more likely be bought up by a larger competitor somewhere down the line. If bought up then you realise return on your investment (sometimes), and if they fail then huge sums of money is lost, normally in a very short amount of time, as I am sure you are well aware.

I think the 'new' energy sector could be as big as oil eventually, and the part a company like Telsa plays in this role is pivotal, they could end up like the GE of our time, with fingers in lots of pies, from cars, to power stations, to batteries, computer chips, and I.P. then there is energy supply, insurance etc.

Where does it end, how much would a company the size and value of someone like Shell, Toyota, and E.On put together be worth? It's certainly all to play for between now an 2040+, and as always only time will tell.
Indeed.

My earlier error of 'analysis' was definitely that I was viewing it as an auto-maker, while other investors were seeing it as an energy sector company. This was highlighted to me by one of you guys, and I concede that point. However, li-ion batteries are very limited in the part they can play in energy sector, but Tesla clearly has its eyes on more than the battery part of it.

Lots of misinformation too. I was watching a documentary which included Tesla's Australian battery farm, and the narrator said 'and this can store renewable energy'. It might store a few minutes worth, but it is only for grid balancing.

Registered
Yes it reminds me of the dotcom too, don't recall that ending too well. Nikola with a market cap of 26B which is 3/4 of BMW - yet BMW have been making EVs for a number of years.... just shows the valuations are punts on the future.

Mobileye eye was sold for 15B - and they're up there with the self driving tech they just lag Tesla in whats in production because they like to test their software first, but call that element $30B today

Panasonic who have made Teslas batteries so you'd imagine they know a thing or two.. I think they're $20B for the whole company

I suspect the market thinks Tesla will be the next apple - but unlike Apple, I'm not sure everybody wants the same car (and not everyone wants an apple phone). If you compare them to Amazon... different type of market. You can probably find out but I wonder what the average share holding size is and whether this is partly driven by hundreds of thousands of owners come investors dropping their personal savings into the company.

This isn't hating Tesla (and anybody who thinks any person expressing an observation thats not in fulsome support of Tesla may need to reflect on their obsessiveness), its an observation that the market cap seems way out of proportion and doesn't meant I think the company will go bust tomorrow.

Registered
I suspect the market thinks Tesla will be the next apple - but unlike Apple, I'm not sure everybody wants the same car (and not everyone wants an apple phone).
A comparison to Apple and then using on the phone is slightly off, I would look at them more from the point-of-view that Apple needed the iPod and the iMac to recover their position, and then came the iPhone, and iOS and software services that generate huge sums of cash these days. If people think Apple is only a phone company then they are way off-base (not saying you do) and need to recognise what they offer as a package.

Tesla will not only be about cars, that is merely a platform to get started with, I doubt they'll stop selling cars, but just like Apple other things to build on, they'll have the battery technology, I.P., and other products like solar, battery storage and beyond. Ignoring the changing energy market and focusing on cars is why most people don't see the woods for the trees.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Tesla also experiences high levels of volatility in its share price as there is a huge short interest which keeps getting squeezed.
Exponential growth is hard for many people to understand, including many analysts which is why they keep on getting Tesla wrong.
The next big boost for Tesla shares will be when it gets included in the S&P 500 index which will open up Tesla shares to an additional $10 trillion of funds that are benchmarked to the index.
Certainly not a stock to put funds in that you can't afford to lose or not willing to ride out volatility over an extended period of time.

Registered
A comparison to Apple and then using on the phone is slightly off, I would look at them more from the point-of-view that Apple needed the iPod and the iMac to recover their position, and then came the iPhone, and iOS and software services that generate huge sums of cash these days. If people think Apple is only a phone company then they are way off-base (not saying you do) and need to recognise what they offer as a package.

Tesla will not only be about cars, that is merely a platform to get started with, I doubt they'll stop selling cars, but just like Apple other things to build on, they'll have the battery technology, I.P., and other products like solar, battery storage and beyond. Ignoring the changing energy market and focusing on cars is why most people don't see the woods for the trees.
50% of apple revenue comes from phones. So in that respect they are more a phone company than any other individual thing.

Tesla powerwalls - who cares what it will look like, its a relatively passive device in the background that looks after itself. Same with solar panels. Same with battery tech. They're all be price sensitive markets. Tesla are pushing into the "energy company" business but EDF are only 25B in size - and they're massive.

Registered
OP, thanks for the heads up - I was slow spotting this. I've just this lunchtime sold 3 shares at $987. I originally bought at $27 but have panicked a few times since and sold/rebought so haven't made quite as much as the difference implies. That won't stop me buying back in though when it drops below $800. Rinse and repeat.

Registered
looks like the BBC finally worked out Tesla is not only a car company ;) Tesla / Musk article.

The Maxwell purchase along with the university research group is IMO showing where the company is going with Automotive as a sideline. That Maxwell purchase prompted me to get a few shares last year which I'm hanging on to.

Registered
Reactions: Riz_Neo
1 - 20 of 29 Posts