Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
886 Posts

Reactions: cah197

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
27,725 Posts
Tesla still remains a strange bubble stock in my opinion. There is no particular reason why it can't stabilise and remain at its current valuation while the real value of the company slowly comes up to meet it, because it still has tonnes of good-will to see it through for a long while, so in that sense a short is a gamble as there is no specific 'reason' for it to crash, other than it being highly over-valued and people taking fright. However, as the time its value will take to meet its capitalisation looks like decades rather than years, any global financial 'shock' will see the cold light of reality shone on Tesla's goings-on. It had better be ready to turn in a good showing of cash flow and future earnings when that happens.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Well from my limited understanding of these thing, if some shorts loose faith that Tesla will colapse, they will have to buy back the stock they sold, more buyers means the stock price will rise further making other shorts possible rethink their position. The Bloomberg M3 tracker is back up to 2944 per week which was only surpassed by one week of 3500+ in May. There seems to have been a few weeks of lower production (about 1/2) which indicates to me that one of the lines has been shut for reworking and is now ramping up again. On top of this is the manufacturing equipment flown in from Europe and the planned 3rd production line. It was mentioned in the shareholder meeting that they thought they can get to 5-6k per week on 2 production lines but a third is planned. Interesting times over the next few 1/4's to come.

·
Registered
15,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why did you not post when the shares tumbled from 380 by 25% and the Shorts were cashing in?
Because it's funny when people lose money betting against this particular horse.

I have a larder full of popcorn ready to go...

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,637 Posts
'Tesla shorts' just makes me imagine some fat bloke having his assets reduced by shrinking speedos....

·
Registered
549 Posts
backing negativity, but its a perfectly acceptable mechanism in the financial markets.
mmmmmmm - accelerating change (against massive forces to resist such change) is tough.

But, I would have thought that you'd be more positive ... especially running the (wonderful) UK 'find a used Tesla' site.
Have you had a personal bad experience with Tesla ? or not living up to expectations ? I'm genuinely interested, to try and understand this point of view.

Also why are such negative views not seen on other EV manufacturer forum pages ?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
mmmmmmm - accelerating change (against massive forces to resist such change) is tough.

But, I would have thought that you'd be more positive ... especially running the (wonderful) UK 'find a used Tesla' site.
Have you had a personal bad experience with Tesla ? or not living up to expectations ? I'm genuinely interested, to try and understand this point of view.

Also why are such negative views not seen on other EV manufacturer forum pages ?
The backing negativity point was why I don't like shorting as a financial practice, nothing to do with Tesla as such. It's just an instrument in the financial markets. TSLA seem to get it more than most because some people think its more over priced than most. I don't condone it, far from it, I actually hold stock but I short term trade on the volatility - at the moment it has 10-15% swings, and buying under 290 and selling over 320 is probably not a bad strategy. You can probably eek out a 20% return if you can do the trick twice in a year. But its a company I'm interested in so I can pick the thresholds carefully, rather than a company I know nothing about.

So overall, I tend to be as critical of the shorters and doubters who say they're doomed as I am of those that think a $40B valuation is nothing and the shares are going to continue to sky rocket (bearing in mind the NASDAQ has grown more than TSLA over the last 3 years). I could get all moralistic and say I merely seek the truth, I suspect its more a case of a, being a grumpy sod so I'll disagree with anyone, b, data has been my life and too many people can't read it, and c, having worked in forensic data investigations you get to know if it can be fiddled, somebody will be.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
I don't like shorting personally because you're backing negativity, but its a perfectly acceptable legal mechanism in the financial markets.
There, fixed that for you. ;)

·
Registered
549 Posts
The backing negativity point was why I don't like shorting as a financial practice, nothing to do with Tesla as such. It's just an instrument in the financial markets. TSLA seem to get it more than most because some people think its more over priced than most. I don't condone it, far from it, I actually hold stock but I short term trade on the volatility - at the moment it has 10-15% swings, and buying under 290 and selling over 320 is probably not a bad strategy. You can probably eek out a 20% return if you can do the trick twice in a year. But its a company I'm interested in so I can pick the thresholds carefully, rather than a company I know nothing about.

So overall, I tend to be as critical of the shorters and doubters who say they're doomed as I am of those that think a $40B valuation is nothing and the shares are going to continue to sky rocket (bearing in mind the NASDAQ has grown more than TSLA over the last 3 years). I could get all moralistic and say I merely seek the truth, I suspect its more a case of a, being a grumpy sod so I'll disagree with anyone, b, data has been my life and too many people can't read it, and c, having worked in forensic data investigations you get to know if it can be fiddled, somebody will be.
fair dinkum cobber :)

·
Well-Loved Member
1,014 Posts
Why did you not post when the shares tumbled from 380 by 25% and the Shorts were cashing in?
A good question :censored:

Shorts aren't responsible for the company's woes. They are not widening the $1bn hole in the bullshit each quarter and running off with all the cash. Covering during a squeeze pushes the stock higher, not lower. And who wants Tesla delisted when any open position will suddenly be worthless?

If you are bullish on the company then you should be encouraging shorts: they are just folk who want to make a free buck the same way you do. Disclosure: neither short nor long TSLA.

·
Chartered Engineer
1,859 Posts
Personally I dislike the shorting because it magnifies any stock movements as people rush to cover, but it’s just another mechanism for playing the stock markets. It’s a leveraged bet which means you can make huge profits or of course huge losses and most use hedging strategies to try and reduce the risk.

Tesla’s financials at the moment are a complete disaster, but to be fair to them the auto industry requires far higher investment levels than most so it’s not necessarily a surprise in company growing as fast as this.

The main part I have a real problem with is the vitriol you see on the investor forums - once people resort to name calling, blatant untruths, statements of opinion presented as fact, then to my way of thinking they’ve lost the plot. There’s plenty of areas to criticise Tesla’s financial performance without resorting to fiction.

By way of disclosure I am invested in Tesla to a fairly small degree. I bought some shares about three years back and am holding them as a long term high risk investment. I do not do day trading in them although I have topped up once. I also own a Model S and have covered 80k miles in two and a half years over which time it has cost me less than my last Prius (excluding the capital tied up) and been more reliable. It’s even beat my first Prius on reliability so far (that needed a new water pump at 75k miles) which is quite remarkable.

·
Well-Loved Member
1,014 Posts
Tesla’s financials at the moment are a complete disaster
The craziness of the last week (mass firings, Musk hoovering up premarket, alleged sabotage, Twitter meltdowns, Fremont mortgage, plus the whole tent thing) makes me more concerned than I was already. Company has no cash.

If I were a M3 deposit holder I'd be on the phone right now asking for it back. You have been warned :confused:

MS was a breakthrough car not least because it emerged from a period when the likes of Daimler were invested. Pretty much everything afterwards has been broken promises and drama.

1 - 20 of 918 Posts