Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was charging my Leaf this weekend at Geantham services and couldn't help notice that the Tesla Superchargers were finally in place and being used. Eight in all I think.
Pictures at Zap-Map, can't seem to be able to retrieve them for this forum

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Give the relative number of Tesla and none-tesla EV sold in the UK, the comparable usage of the two charging networks show that current Leaf/Zoe owners behaviors can't be used to predict what drivers of long range EVs with good charging networks will do......

What service station has the most Tesla Chargers to each EH charger?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Ive been to a few Superchargers co-located at EH sites now. While its relatively common to bump into other Teslas its much less uncommon to see any other EVs at the EH pumps.

Mind, I did see an electric motorbike charging at the EH pump in Woodall Services while I was supercharging a few weeks ago (picture in PlugShare).

·
Chartered Engineer
1,859 Posts
Give the relative number of Tesla and none-tesla EV sold in the UK, the comparable usage of the two charging networks show that current Leaf/Zoe owners behaviors can't be used to predict what drivers of long range EVs with good charging networks will do......

What service station has the most Tesla Chargers to each EH charger?
South Mimms has 12 Supercharger stations to 2 EH so that's a 6:1 ratio. That's the best I've come across yet.

·
Registered
773 Posts
If we are purely going by the numbers then somewhere like Thetford with 8 SuCs and no EH pumps gives a ratio of 8:0
:LOL:

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Tesla will soon have more chargers than EH. But as they are 3 times as powerful they can give 3 x the charging capacity so South Mimms is actually 18:1 looking at charging capacity. ZapMap is way out of date. Not sure how long it takes them to update the map - but really poor show as their latest news article is about the newly installed Tesla Superchargers :D

·
Registered
1,074 Posts

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Tesla will soon have more chargers than EH. But as they are 3 times as powerful they can give 3 x the charging capacity so South Mimms is actually 18:1 looking at charging capacity.
While you have a point here, that's not strictly accurate.

Tesla have 12 stalls = 6 cabinets @~130kW each = 780kW.
Ecotricity have two chargers @43kW each = 86kW.
Ratio 9:1

However, Tesla's power is more useful since Ecotricity's units can't deliver their maximum power other than to the right type of vehicle at the right state of charge (so typically only a few minutes at a time, even if there's a queue), while Tesla's units will normally be giving their full rated power if there's two cars plugged into each.

I'm not up to the maths to calculate the net throughput at a given quality of service for the two cases (given the complex relationship between demand and charge delivered), but the larger number of stalls will be a big statistical win - something like 20:1 for 12 stalls vs 2 even if they were all the same type.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
The maths is harder then most people think because with
  • with a fixed time of service say each charge takes 20 minutes (maths even more complex if service time not fixed)
  • cars arriving at random times
  • a fixed service level for example 98% of drivers do not have to queue for more then 5 minutes
4 stalls on the same site can handle a lot more than double the number of charges then 2 stalls can.

This is way the Tesla charging network is so much better, the cars have a longer range, so allows more stalls to be clustered at each site. Use google to find a queue simulator if you want to play with options to understand it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Following the removal of the Superchargers at Sainsburys Badger Farm (Winchester) I heard that Tesla were going to install additional superchargers at Norton Park where there is at present just one pair. Does anyone know if there is substance to that rumour?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts