Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I’m probably going to be buying another electric vehicle later this year or early next, and on the shortlist of course is a Tesla of some sort.

I had a question for those Tesla owners who are using the Supercharger Network now, which is how is it holding up now that more Tesla’s are hitting the road?

It’s a USP for me, not that I’d probably use it that much unless work changes, but what are the plans for the network going forwards?

I know that Tesla’s can use existing non Tesla infrastructure too, which itself will come under pressure as more EVs hit the road, so I guess Tesla drivers will always have more options but I spoke to a friend last week who said some of the smaller SC sites were getting overwhelmed at times.

A couple of weeks ago at Scotch Corner, he actually popped over to the services to use the EH machine as there was quite a queue at the SC site.

I also saw a smaller SC site on the M6 where several Tesla’s were on the prowl like Lions approaching a crowded watering hole.

I know that the non Tesla charging networks are already behind the demand curve, will Tesla join them?

·
Registered
983 Posts
Not had to wait at all on the Superchargers I've used - South Mimms, Park Royal, Darts Farm, Reading, etc. The removal of free lifetime supercharging has had a big impact on reducing usage offsetting the increase in number of Teslas on the road now. The network also continues to expand.

·
Premium Member
3,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not had to wait at all on the Superchargers I've used - South Mimms, Park Royal, Darts Farm, Reading, etc. The removal of free lifetime supercharging has had a big impact on reducing usage offsetting the increase in number of Teslas on the road now. The network also continues to expand.
Thanks, I hadn’t realised the free SC for life had been removed. That would help.

Is there a map of future SC sites anywhere?

I’m trying to convince my wife to go EV, but she has an erratic work driving pattern and just refuses to countenance the risk of being held up anywhere needing to charge when she’s heading back to pick up kids etc. I get that, which is why I keep saying a Tesla might remove those concerns.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thanks, I hadn’t realised the free SC for life had been removed. That would help.

I’m trying to convince my wife to go EV, but she has an erratic work driving pattern and just refuses to countenance the risk of being held up anywhere needing to charge when she’s heading back to pick up kids etc. I get that, which is why I keep saying a Tesla might remove those concerns.
Does she travel that far? The Teslas are superb on range. Would you be able to install a charger at home?

·
Registered
983 Posts

You can use ZapMap or

Also, just to clarify that free supercharger for life was removed for new car sales a while ago but exisiting cars will continue to benefit from it until they are sold but they form quite a small and reducing portion of the overall number of Teslas on the road.

What Tesla models are you considering and what's your budget?

Reactions: Tooks

·
Premium Member
3,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does she travel that far? The Teslas are superb on range. Would you be able to install a charger at home?
I’m fully invested in EVs, have an e-Golf and 7kw charging at home. She could cover 300 miles in a day easily, other days do zero.

Having two EVs and one charger will bring other challenges, but mine would be fine on a granny thinking about it, I don’t drive a lot now really, just odd trips and occasional out of range overnight jobs.

·
Premium Member
3,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can use ZapMap or

Also, just to clarify that free supercharger for life was removed for new car sales a while ago but exisiting cars will continue to benefit from it until they are sold but they form quite a small and reducing portion of the overall number of Teslas on the road.

What Tesla models are you considering and what's your budget?
Budget will be formed from a monthly car allowance, it should be plenty to lease or PCP a M3 of some sort, although she does prefer ‘higher up’ vehicles, but hates the look of the MX.

It’s not for certain a Tesla at this point, but there are relatively few SUV EVs out now, and not with a prolific and reliable charging network.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I took delivery of my M3 in December, and have supercharged sporadically since then. I haven't had to wait at a UK supercharger. I understand that in the USA there can be queues due to the popularity of Tesla especially in California and especially around peak holiday traffic (Thanksgiving, various bank holiday weekends). I will be interested to see what happens as the UK road traffic increases... will we see as much business travel? Will we get holiday queues at superchargers?

One thing to keep in mind is that the supercharger sites are often multi bay and can deliver up to 250kW (although 150kW is more common and this can be reduced if there are multiple cars charging at the same time). If the car knows you are heading to a supercharger it will preheat the battery to make sure you get the fastest speed possible. I have never spent more than 15 minutes charging at a supercharger so it is a fairly fast turnaround. It is currently 24p per kWh so it isn't overly expensive but also isn't overly cheep. I only use them when I need to. There are also overstay penalties to make sure people at least disconnect after charging.

I get the impression that the main thing holding back the supercharger network is planning permission for the site and whatever easements are needed to get the electricity cables to the site, rather than a reluctance to build.

Prior to COVID I would do a fair number of longer distance business related trips. The availability of the supercharger network definitely factored into my decision to go with a Tesla. Having played around with charging a PHEV prior to going with the Tesla, I had little confidence in the reliability of third party charging networks whereas the supercharger network "just works". While I still think about a journey, I am not having to plan out where I am going to stop and charge or what to do if the charger is broken.

Take a recent round trip that I did from Southampton to Bristol and back... the Tesla can just about manage the entire round trip, but my supercharger options are:
  • 3x Bristol (4 sites if you count Michaelwood Services)
  • Membury services
  • Winchester
  • Reading (if I go M3, A33)
Plus, as you say, I can augment that with the third party network.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Budget will be formed from a monthly car allowance, it should be plenty to lease or PCP a M3 of some sort, although she does prefer ‘higher up’ vehicles, but hates the look of the MX.

It’s not for certain a Tesla at this point, but there are relatively few SUV EVs out now, and not with a prolific and reliable charging network.
Used Model S with Tesla warranties are also looking good value at the moment. Model Y would be great but probably 2 years away for the UK. So a 2 year lease sounds like a sensible option after which there is likely to be plenty of choice of electric SUVs.

Reactions: ohit1

·
Premium Member
3,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Used Model S with Tesla warranties are also looking good value at the moment. Model Y would be great but probably 2 years away for the UK. So a 2 year lease sounds like a sensible option after which there is likely to be plenty of choice of electric SUVs.
I think the S would be considered a bit big, so if it is a Tesla then likely M3 of some sort.

To be honest, for her I think charging network comes before the car, hence Tesla, but I just wondered if things were as rosy in the charging garden as they appear to be.

She’s commented on all the free bays at the Grantham SC site, our closest, but of course it’s not that one she’ll need.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Grantham i have visited twice and is really built out for those busy bank holiday periods for people going in and out of the flatlands but there has never been more than a few stalls in use when ive passed thru there. id have a look at an MX in the flesh, now a white or black one as there are other colours which suit the car better IMO and make it nicer on the eye :)

With kids she'd like the FWD as they make getting in and out much easier and the doors auto popping out for you as well makes you feel a bit more special.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I'm not sure why Scotch Corner has been reported so busy recently. I've used it a few times last year, and it was almost empty each time. In the North, I've never had to wait at:
Scotch Corner
Washinton A1(M)
Edingburgh Airport - although there's only 2 stalls there, there's a new site being built at the service centre a few miles away
Gretna Green A74(M)
Abingdon A74(M) - seems a busy site, both visits there was only 1 bay free
Barnsley M1 - another site with on 2 stalls

I have avoided Leeds as it's notoriously busy with frequent wait times.

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 SR+
1,556 Posts
32 of the 39 nearest superchargers to me are currently available, but Barnsley only has 2 superchargers (1 currently in use) and Woodhall currently has 3 of 8 in use.

I haven’t used one yet and I probably won’t for another few weeks. 😀

When I do, it will probably be Scotch Corner 🤞

·
Registered
449 Posts
I'm not sure why Scotch Corner has been reported so busy recently. I've used it a few times last year, and it was almost empty each time.
I've used Scotch Corner half a dozen times, either from or to Grantham. Both sites have always been available for me. However, I wonder if cars perhaps charge to a fuller SOC when going between the two sites because of the long-waited for absent site at Ferrybridge. If Ferrybridge was in place, then cars might perhaps charge to a lower SOC and therefore create more availability at Scotch Corner and Grantham. Until of course more Tesla sales create more demand for SCs. :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
The last trip I went on I used Scotch Corner on three occasions. Never needed to queue. In fact I have never queued for a Supercharger.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Just to add, own experience...

I've been into Keele S/B and no free bays, but I didn't need to charge anyway (was my first trip in the 3, wanted to see what all the fuss was about after having the Leaf 24). After I came out from pee break there was a free bay so I plugged in, but on a shared pair only got 28kW so quickly left since I didn't need it anyway.

Keele N/B on return I had to share because at that time there were only 2 model 3-compatible stalls (now they all are) but there were other free bays. Other SuC I've been to have generally not had a problem finding a bay nor getting good charge speed except for Bishop's Stortford where I was mired at 28kW and no free bays after I arrived. I moved on and used Royal Victoria Dock instead.

Friday I'm headed up to Dumfries and plan on Gretna on way there and Tebay on way back, so will see how it is compared to previous visits (to tebay, at least).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts