Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Keele N/B on return I had to share because at that time there were only 2 model 3-compatible stalls (now they all are) but there were other free bays.
This has impressed me too, the apparent speed with which they rolled out the CCS connectors for the M3.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Just to add, own experience...

I've been into Keele S/B and no free bays, but I didn't need to charge anyway (was my first trip in the 3, wanted to see what all the fuss was about after having the Leaf 24). After I came out from pee break there was a free bay so I plugged in, but on a shared pair only got 28kW so quickly left since I didn't need it anyway.

Keele N/B on return I had to share because at that time there were only 2 model 3-compatible stalls (now they all are) but there were other free bays. Other SuC I've been to have generally not had a problem finding a bay nor getting good charge speed except for Bishop's Stortford where I was mired at 28kW and no free bays after I arrived. I moved on and used Royal Victoria Dock instead.

Friday I'm headed up to Dumfries and plan on Gretna on way there and Tebay on way back, so will see how it is compared to previous visits (to tebay, at least).
Keele southbound is a hole of a site! I prefer to cross the motorway or wait and go to the NB side as it's just better...

·
Registered
773 Posts
It didn't take long at all - now a total non issue as all supercharger in the UK are model 3 compatible. The speed with which they did it seems impressive by the standards of almost any other charging network, but tbh it only took a couple of guys driving around the country for a few days to do the whole job - it was an hour or so per stall from what I understand.

The bit that many people didn't realise, including myself until very recently, was that they also changed all the model S/X leads for ones with a special notch that prevents them from being plugged into model 3s (the older ones could, but wouldn't work).

I suppose we all got so familiar with the Ecotricity model of charger maintenance being about as regular as total solar eclipses that the fact that the supercharger network is maintained properly still feels like a bit of a novelty. Although there are some very well public failings of the supercharger network in this country (eg Brighouse, both directions, have been installed but without power for 3 years now, and the Wokingham supercharger that is fine but the site floods a couple of times per year (which Dale Vince unadvisedly mocked on twitter..... get your own house in order first!)), I certainly find it a massive step up over my days with the Leaf.

Whilst I don't agree with all of the locations they pick (for example, the new Leeds service centre V3 site that is currently under construction - I think it's not convenient for travellers on either the M1 or M62 to detour onto the M621, fight with local traffic and one-way system and add a few miles and many minutes to the journey), it's easily the best of any charge network out there.

But to come back to your original question.... approx 15k Model 3s have been delivered in the UK over the past year - more than there are S/X combined. Selling faster than any other EV on the market, and may overtake the Leaf for units sold by some time next year. The question you asked is"how it's holding up" - the answer to that could be any of a) supercharger sites are going to be busier and busier. b) it's not how it's holding up, but how does the growth of the network align with the growth of the user base? c) The model 3 can more easily make good use of non-Tesla chargers than other Teslas can (ie no adapter required, can get good speeds from Ionity etc) so will the influx of Model 3s balance across other charge networks, especially if supercharger sites get a reputation for being over-subscribed?

Another consideration is going to be that of referrals. I've still got some time and miles left on referrals, but once they expire then I'm going to be a little less focused on Supercharger necessarily - it will come down to what is most sensibly located at sensible cost and performance, and so I'll start to consider using Podpoint or Instavolt or Polar so long as their pricing isn't desperately far away from Supercharger pricing. But anyone over 35p/kWh I'm not going to be interested unless I need 2-3kWh to get me home in a pinch (unlikely). As referral and free supercharging declines then people will start to open their minds to alternative charging networks, especially as they are now appearing in the Tesla navigation.

·
Registered
773 Posts
To add to this, as of today, new supercharger projects are underway at birch (m62), pease pottage (m23), thurrock (m25), Heston (m4)...

Even more incredibly, there are multiple bays of new ecotricity chargers being installed alongside a couple of these...

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Maybe there is a Tie in Deal as part of the HV supply for them?
Someone on FB mentioned that EcoT/EH are installing some CCS only chargers somewhere... thats not good news!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts