Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Imagine driving all the way to portugal without paying a penny for fuel?Even france is an almost impossible dream for Leaf owners.Tesla really are leading the way.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice, so that's all interconnected, can take any route along the joined lines type map?
Yes, you will be able to drive the blue routes using Superchargers only within the next year. The light green areas on the map indicate the range of the Model S when leaving a Supercharger, so most of the UK will be within range.

For me, the other amazing thing is that when driving in Europe you find lots 11kW and 22kW 3 phase charging... so a Model S driver will be able to extend range easily while visiting Rome for example :)

·
Militant EV driver!
4,937 Posts
Do the ends of the blue lines represent the location of a supercharger or the extent of which you can drive from one? As the Tesla MO seems to be to put superchargers between cities, I expect the latter.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Obviously Tesla don't think anyone in Scotland are interested in their cars as there is no supercharger or showroom planned for the foreseeable future.

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
or the west country... I am getting used to us Devonites and Cornwallions being forgotton about :(
At least you could travel elsewhere to buy the car, then use it to drive anywhere on the network.

According to this map my nearest Supercharger location would probably be Manchester - about 380 miles away. I wouldn't be able to go anywhere in a Model S outside the single-charge range!

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
You people living in these strange, desolate, remote places and then complaining nobody thinks about you. ;)

Does seem like an oversight though, if not to link you guys to civilisation, because some of the best roads are out in those far-flung corners of this island. ;)

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
You people living in these strange, desolate, remote places and then complaining nobody thinks about you. ;)
I am at a loss why the seat of government isn't switched to somewhere much more pleasant... such as PLYMOUTH!

Perhaps I should start a petition! ;)

·
Registered
121 Posts
A car is essential up here so it amazes me that ev manufacturers don't target areas such as ours. Petrol stations are few and far between and prices are dearer. I chose the Chevy Volt to give me the EV capability with the engine backup for the longer distances. As my journeys are local I can charge at home so don't have to make a special journey for fuel. These areas attract a large amount of tourists from europe, many in very expensive motors so to not extend the supercharger network into these areas seems to me a lack of forethought.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
These areas attract a large amount of tourists from europe, many in very expensive motors so to not extend the supercharger network into these areas seems to me a lack of forethought.
With a single 5 hour stop at a 22kW AC Charging Station in Edinburgh you can reach John o' Groats having driven ~500 miles using SuperChargers all the way from the Kent Coast. Personally, having driven ~500 miles I would stop in Edinburgh overnight :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Would be interesting to know which public chargers you would use at John O Groats or on route for your return journey in a pure EV!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm glad you've posted this map as it proves my point that apart from the 3 hotels in Caithness the main part of the highlands is not catered for and that is a lot of road mileage.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm glad you've posted this map as it proves my point that apart from the 3 hotels in Caithness the main part of the highlands is not catered for and that is a lot of road mileage.
How many days do you drive more than 300 miles in Scotland? Remember also that the ZeroNet map is just my preferred network... others locations exist... try the Open Charge Map database.

As a tourist I have never had problems charging in Scotland with my current ~200 mile range EV... if I had a Tesla Model S with ~300 mile range I wouldn't even think about charging during the day when touring around.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Glad to hear you don't have any problems charging your 200 miles range EV in this beautiful part of the country and obviously from what you've said I need to do more research on charger locations and type before I buy my next EV.

·
Banned
558 Posts
Fundamentally flawed - no one wants to detour 5 miles for a charge. Who are the people with lifestyles oriented Dover-Liverpool / Dover - Cardiff - yes long haul lorry drivers.

These routes are predicated on long-range cross-border travels and do not respect where potential owners live and where they routinely travel. One obvious absurdity is that the routes go through central London! Yet it's virtually impossible to cross the capital during daytime. Whoever drew this route was ignorant of the M25 and the Paris Peripherique!

If you overlay this the map of routes for the Ten-T project the fallacy doubles! Chargers shoukd have been sighted on the edge of connurbations - that would enable much greatest utilisation?

Some more joined-up thinking is required. National policy should promote harmonised standards and the maximum level of inter-operation. Creating 'Tesla Temples' for super cars is surely not the British-way? It's is ludicrous that we give Teslas access to many thousands of Mennekes Type-2 Chargers - yet the Tesla Temples are for the elite car owners only?

I've said it before on this website - when a Tesla 'squats' on a Type-2 Charger - he will be there for hours!

Tesla's superior performance, in explained by the high price; however it is producing a certain arrogance that is offensive. Tesla could be the new Hummer - loathed by those who's services it poaches!

Tesla shoukd be told to harmonise and integrate into a multi-standard European EV infrastructure.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts