Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
This is good to hear: "Tesla and Musk have responded with more than just an apology though, as a software update to the TUMC has supposedly resolved 95% of the reported charging issues. Tesla will continue to work on the issue until “everything is perfect”".

At least as it's all "in house" (or at least, kind of) they can act fast in these situations. I really wish Nissan etc were investing their own money and time to support their own vehicles the way Tesla seem to do.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
At least as it's all "in house" (or at least, kind of) they can act fast in these situations. I really wish Nissan etc were investing their own money and time to support their own vehicles the way Tesla seem to do.
I think this is a critical point and I won't be at all surprised if BMW take a controlling stake in Chargemaster and close the network to non-BMW cars. IMO the car manufacturer must control infrastructure in the early years to ensure good customer experience and resolve issues like the one in the OP.

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
I think we've wandered away from the original post here a bit - the problem was with the Tesla Universal Mobile Connector - not super chargers.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes. It impacted in this case on the supercharger success if I read right.

I remember as a child we would expect our ice car to break down at some point. It was a semi regular thing. Over the years reliability has got better. Lessons learned. Think it will be the same with ev's

·
Super Moderator
7,464 Posts
Yes. It impacted in this case on the supercharger success if I read right.

I remember as a child we would expect our ice car to break down at some point. It was a semi regular thing. Over the years reliability has got better. Lessons learned. Think it will be the same with ev's
No, nothing to do with Superchargers, this is to do with the UMC, the "brick" for charging at home.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for clarifying. I misunderstood the post I shared.

Still, the point stands that there are lessons that will need to be learnt by all ev manufactures in these early days - things will go wrong in the charging infrastructure. Is to be expected.

Will try to edit the thread subject heading to make it accurate...!

·
Super Moderator
7,464 Posts
Thanks for clarifying. I misunderstood the post I shared.

Still, the point stands that there are lessons that will need to be learnt by all ev manufactures in these early days - things will go wrong in the charging infrastructure. Is to be expected.

Will try to edit the thread subject heading to make it accurate...!
Yeah they will, but at least Tesla are on the ball and release updates! I am pretty sure Nissan could update Gen1 Leafs to have the extra info (% charge, preheat temperature selection etc) from the gen2, but they won't.

·
Registered
394 Posts
The i3 software has been updated since release (just a few minor things noticeable such as charging info displayed, satnav menus, and how the hill-hold works) but it's not done 'over the air' like Tesla, you have to take your car in to the dealer.

·
Super Moderator
7,464 Posts
The i3 software has been updated since release (just a few minor things noticeable such as charging info displayed, satnav menus, and how the hill-hold works) but it's not done 'over the air' like Tesla, you have to take your car in to the dealer.
That's cool, genuinely pleased and surprised by that!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Yeah they will, but at least Tesla are on the ball and release updates! I am pretty sure Nissan could update Gen1 Leafs to have the extra info (% charge, preheat temperature selection etc) from the gen2, but they won't.
TBH, what's in it for Nissan to update old cars? Very few companies (not just car manufacturers) update old models or, if they do, it's for a limited time - all focus is on their current line-up.
Look at mobile phones. Apple are possibly the exception, certainly most Android phones only receive a couple of O/S updates before being forgotten.

·
Registered
394 Posts
That's cool, genuinely pleased and surprised by that!
Yeah, it's good to see. A lot of owners (especially ActiveE guys) have been complaining that the SoC isn't shown as a percentage* so it's going to be interesting to see if BMW react to feedback and add that at some point.

* Euro REx owners can see this on the nav screen but it's hidden down in the sub-menus.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
TBH, what's in it for Nissan to update old cars? Very few companies (not just car manufacturers) update old models or, if they do, it's for a limited time - all focus is on their current line-up.
Look at mobile phones. Apple are possibly the exception, certainly most Android phones only receive a couple of O/S updates before being forgotten.
Thats the point I was getting to, Tesla is showing the value to the customer saying "even after you have bought your car we will continue to improve it"

People are used to getting updates for their apps on their mobile devices, why should the mobile device in the car be any different

·
Registered
479 Posts
Thats the point I was getting to, Tesla is showing the value to the customer saying "even after you have bought your car we will continue to improve it"

People are used to getting updates for their apps on their mobile devices, why should the mobile device in the car be any different
I bought my Leaf 15 months ago. About six months ago I was notified that a software update was available, which was applied at it's first service.

So it does happen.

(mind you, I don't know exactly what the update was doing!)

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I bought my Leaf 15 months ago. About six months ago I was notified that a software update was available, which was applied at it's first service.

So it does happen.

(mind you, I don't know exactly what the update was doing!)
Same here but from what I can tell it was a few bug fixes.

Tesla add new features and functions to the car with every release, do a search for the release notes and see for yourself, also these are delivered over the air so you get up one morning and the update is ready for you

·
Militant EV driver!
4,936 Posts
The Ampera got a PEM firmware upgrade at the service last month. It blanked radio favorites and satnav destinations but cosmetically is the same. The engine seems to run longer after initial start up too.

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
Tesla are doing this much better than anyone else.

It will be interesting to see if they manage to keep it up once they have a lot more models on the market and regional differences start to creep in. They have a great advantage in not having a pile of legacy code that's evolved over many years from car to car.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Tesla have said that a significant part of their future revenue will come from car (and battery) upgrades... personally I love the idea of a constantly evolving car and have been watching every new Model S firmware release with interest.

I can't begin to imagine the difference in cost between the Tesla wireless and GM physical recall models :eek:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts