Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
As far as I can see, they plan to install in five locations. Not quite as good as ecotricity or nissan. The rest of the item is behind a pay wall, maybe you could give us more info than a link?

·
Super Moderator
7,473 Posts
South East Coast, south mimms, Bristol, Birmingham and ~warrington.

·
BEV road warrior
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sunday Times wrote:
THE dream of being able to drive the length and breadth of Britain in a near-silent battery-powered car has come a step closer to reality.

Stations that can charge Tesla electric cars in 20 minutes — far quicker than most owners of electric cars are used to — are being installed on Britain’s motorways by the billionaire entrepreneur Elon Musk.

The first supercharging stations are due to be unveiled within weeks by Musk, who is advising the government on electric car technology. Ministers hope his electric superhighway will transform the way drivers view electric cars, and energise their sales.

One of the first supercharging stations is at South Mimms services, at the junction of the M25 and the A1 in Hertfordshire. It will form part of an electric highway stretching from Dover along the M20, and from Bristol along the M4. The two routes will converge on the M25, from where the highway will follow the route of the M1.

Construction work was almost complete last week, with wiring installed and the supercharger units sitting in wooden crates.

Many electric cars require overnight charging to replenish their batteries, and their range is typically less than 100 miles.

The government appointed Musk as an “electric car czar” last November in an attempt to boost sales when the electric revolution, predicted by transport ministers since 2010, failed to arrive.

Two other companies, Ecotricity and ChargeMaster, also plan to develop high-speed charging networks, which can be used by owners of other electric cars, but Teslas are likely to remain the car of choice for motorway journeys due to their superior range.

Some analysts see Tesla as the last chance to persuade drivers to switch to battery power. In Britain, only 1,547 pure electric cars were registered in the first four months of this year: 0.18% of total car sales. This is despite millions spent on grants and tax concessions for buyers of battery-powered cars and charging points.

Edmund King, president of the AA, said: “Tesla could be a game-changer at the upper end of the market.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Thanks - but I make that about 380 miles from my house to the nearest supercharger. That's Tesla off my list of possible vehicles.
Tesla will not put barriers in the way of potential customers... everyone in the UK will have access to Superchargers and this announcement is just the first wave :)

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
Tesla will not put barriers in the way of potential customers... everyone in the UK will have access to Superchargers and this announcement is just the first wave :)
I'm sure it is... but I worry about how long before the superchargers get further north. I have wondered a few times if I could find the money to buy a Model S (it seems kidneys aren't worth enough!) and a Model E is high on my wish-list, but this only works if I can travel to southern England and back with one (without hogging a Type-2 "rapid" for hours each stop).

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
I'm sure it is... but I worry about how long before the superchargers get further north.
You do a lot of worrying about Tesla it seems ;)

Tesla already have Superchargers being installed today and they haven't delivered a single Model S in the UK. I repeat, Tesla will not put barriers in the way of potential customers :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'm sure it is... but I worry about how long before the superchargers get further north. I have wondered a few times if I could find the money to buy a Model S (it seems kidneys aren't worth enough!) and a Model E is high on my wish-list, but this only works if I can travel to southern England and back with one (without hogging a Type-2 "rapid" for hours each stop).
Since Tesla know where Model S/X deposit owners live I would expect they would follow the customers. Perhaps the best you could do to influence it is to get your deposit down now :p

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
tI can't remember the last time I charged my car for longer than an hour.
How much range did you get for that hour? Have you never charged overnight? Never charged at home?

The point the article is making is that the Tesla Model S can add ~150 miles of range in 20 minutes.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
It is both the positioning of the rapid charging and the range of the car matters sometimes.

Twice in the last 6 months I have needed to go to Southampton and back to Shropshire in the same day with only an hour or two spent in Southampton. A round trip of 360 miles.

I could not of done this in a Roadster.

Am not even sure I could do this in a Model S unless a rapid or Supercharger was on my route. A dog leg via Bristol may make it possible in the future.

The Leaf with the Electric Highway made it possible for me.Two half hour stops each way.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Twice in the last 6 months I have needed to go to Southampton and back to Shropshire in the same day with only an hour or two spent in Southampton. A round trip of 360 miles.
A one hour charge at 22kW will replenish ~25% of the Model S 85kWh battery. That equates to ~75 extra miles, delivering a total range of 375 miles.

Therefore a one hour charge while you undertake a stop in Southampton would make this trip possible... a two hour charge would make it easy. Remember that 22kW is the same as the 32A Charging Station you have at home but with two extra wires... I bet that within one mile of your stop in Southampton a location could be found to host a 22kW Charging Station.

I could not of done this in a Roadster.
So what? It's a first generation EV that has no dependancy on 'rapid' charging infrastructure. The Roadster is not the ultimate solution but it clearly demonstrates what range and good AC charging can deliver.

The Leaf with the Electric Highway made it possible for me.Two half hour stops each way.
Your trip is totally dependent on government funded 'rapid' charging infrastructure. When that funding stops so will your charging. Enjoy it while you can because Chargemaster are giving you a glimpse of the future :)

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
The Roadster was just used as an example of an ev with a 200 mile range.

And agree that you could get a 22kw to charge in the time. Would not have felt the 3 ladies with me to see the anaerobic digestor, strangers I had met for the first time, would have walked a mile! I wouldn't have asked them. And the previous visit was the crematorium followed by a reception at a rural golf course.

So difficult today to do the trip in a longer range ev without rapid charging en route.

We have already done the Electric Highway how it was funded debate....;)

1 - 20 of 95 Posts