Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
This is how it's done. 6 superchargers in a line. Somehow we have to settle for a single unreliable rapid charger every 20/30 miles or so.

Let's hope things change to the tesla way of thinking!

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
If the South Mimms (is that right) chargers are Superchargers, it looks like they may follow a less radical model here? Maybe to benefit from grant money? I hope not though, I think many of us look to Tesla to break the mould and challenge the status quo.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
If the South Mimms (is that right) chargers are Superchargers, it looks like they may follow a less radical model here? Maybe to benefit from grant money? I hope not though, I think many of us look to Tesla to break the mould and challenge the status quo.
What do you mean a less radical model? 3 chargers instead of 6? :)

I can't see Tesla installing these superchargers in no more than 10 locations. Maybe 3 or 4 locations in London and a few spread out at major cities 100-150 miles apart.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Let's hope things change to the tesla way of thinking!
I suggested to the Deputy PM that all of the £400M OLEV are spending on Infrastructure should be given to Tesla to build charging hubs with 6 Tesla Superchargers, 6 triple-head rapids, and 24 Type 2 22kW in a network across the UK owned by the government (revenue generation) or a trust (like the canals).

I had hoped that Nick Clegg would listen given Elon Musk has been asked to "personally advise Government on how we can reach the UK tipping point for electric vehicles more quickly"... unfortunately I heard nothing :rolleyes:

http://www.libdems.org.uk/staying_the_course_on_the_environment_whyiamgreen

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I mean lovely stand alone charge bays with solar covers and other niceties. Rather than boxes in painted car parking spaces.
Yeah I agree I can't see them doing all them niceties.

Priority is to get them in the ground at these service stations where it will attract the customers.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I suggested to the Deputy PM that all of the £400M OLEV are spending on Infrastructure should be given to Tesla to build charging hubs with 6 Tesla Superchargers, 6 triple-head rapids, and 24 Type 2 22kW in a network across the UK owned by the government (revenue generation) or a trust (like the canals).

I had hoped that Nick Clegg would listen given Elon Musk has been asked to "personally advise Government on how we can reach the UK tipping point for electric vehicles more quickly"... unfortunately I heard nothing :rolleyes:

http://www.libdems.org.uk/staying_the_course_on_the_environment_whyiamgreen
The thing is Kevin we live in such a small area compared to USA for example. To create a charging infrastructure to cover our major roads should be such an easy task, especially when a start-up company like tesla can single handily create one in the USA.

How much would one of them "hubs" cost. I'm guessing around the £2M mark?

Say they install these hubs in every service station in the UK I'm sure there would still be money left over from that £400M.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
@Dean Hamer the problem isn't money it's vision :(
:-( this is why I'm putting my support behind Ecotricity as they seem the only organisation to be backing EV's for the greater good.

Also massively appreciate what you are doing with ZCW as destination charging plays a major role too!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts