Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well...just came back from a test drive!

Neck snapping acceleration is definitely not an overstatement, according to the salesman from 30 to something speed, it accelerate faster than Veyron.

I was gob smacked as it accelerated down the slip road.

There are currently 226 on road, and another 1000 orders, lead time 4-5mths, 2 stores to be opened in 3 mths in Manchester, one in Trafford and another surprise surprise Alderly Edge!

I am however disappointed with its rear headroom, the one I sat in has pano roof, which did give me a couple of inches(I am 6"), without it, I'll be touching the headlining

Another concern is its servicing cost, it may well be a deal breaker for me, its 12500miles or 12mths, but at £550 a pop, thats extortionate IMO.

I am waiting for him to come back to me with some figures, then see what happens.

·
Super Moderator
7,529 Posts
Well...just came back from a test drive!

Neck snapping acceleration is definitely not an overstatement, according to the salesman from 30 to something speed, it accelerate faster than Veyron.

I was gob smacked as it accelerated down the slip road.

There are currently 226 on road, and another 1000 orders, lead time 4-5mths, 2 stores to be opened in 3 mths in Manchester, one in Trafford and another surprise surprise Alderly Edge!

I am however disappointed with its rear headroom, the one I sat in has pano roof, which did give me a couple of inches(I am 6"), without it, I'll be touching the headlining

Another concern is its servicing cost, it may well be a deal breaker for me, its 12500miles or 12mths, but at £550 a pop, thats extortionate IMO.

I am waiting for him to come back to me with some figures, then see what happens.
If it's the same as in the US you don't need to have the service done, your warranty is still valid. If you do get it done though you will continue to get software updates and some hardware updates, plus the service cost INCLUDES the parts, ie pads and filters etc.

·
1,555 Posts
Oh I see, do you not get continuous software update regardless
In the US you do get remote software updates as long as you have a 3G connection.

I've had the 12,500 service done and quite painless (except for the fee). In the US, there's a price break if you prepay the first 4 years or 50,000 miles of service. That will include the tire rotation every 5-6,000 miles too.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
£550 annual service sounds a lot. I thought ev's were going to be cheaper with no consummables ?
I hope this comes down when they bring in the mass market model. (it's all included for 4 years on our Zoe which is another bonus.)

·
1,555 Posts
£550 annual service sounds a lot. I thought ev's were going to be cheaper with no consummables ?
I hope this comes down when they bring in the mass market model. (it's all included for 4 years on our Zoe which is another bonus.)
The pricing was to put the maintenance price at Tesla to be comparable tO an S Class Mercedes Benz.

As a shareholder, I'm glad their finding something with a higher margin. As an owner, it's pricey, but if you can afford a Model S, you should consider the price of maintenance as well.

Additionally, I always tell new purchasers of EVs to figure to get in the habit of putting aside half of their ICE savings toward a replacement battery in the future, this overly conservative, but the same savings can be used toward a new second EV if they never need to tap into it. The challenge is the actual habit of starting this practice.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The pricing was to put the maintenance price at Tesla to be comparable tO an S Class Mercedes Benz.

As a shareholder, I'm glad their finding something with a higher margin. As an owner, it's pricey, but if you can afford a Model S, you should consider the price of maintenance as well.

Additionally, I always tell new purchasers of EVs to figure to get in the habit of putting aside half of their ICE savings toward a replacement battery in the future, this overly conservative, but the same savings can be used toward a new second EV if they never need to tap into it. The challenge is the actual habit of starting this practice.
I somehow doubt very much first service for the S class would cost more than £500, a Porsche Panamera I looked at would need a service every 2 years and cost less than £600, that mean an ave, of £300annual.

I probably will take it in every 2 years for an once over.

·
1,555 Posts
I somehow doubt very much first service for the S class would cost more than £500, a Porsche Panamera I looked at would need a service every 2 years and cost less than £600, that mean an ave, of £300annual.

I probably will take it in every 2 years for an once over.
Like a lot of Americans (and our innate bias toward looking at the world within that context) I think Elon was quoted as matching the US prices. Not sure if they're using the same maintenance strategy in other markets.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
The service pack is 1800 for 4 years and includes all consumables except tyres, plus updates and new features.

Does the Porsche service pack include oil and consumables?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What is there to service on an EV? I thought one of advantages in owning an EV is low maintenance.

Just because the cost of the car is same as some of high end executive makes, it does not mean one should charge similar servicing costs

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I think it is more than just topping up the screen wash. They apply optional technical service bulletins which can be quite labour intensive. For example, I had the alignment checked on mine shortly after delivery, at Tesla's expense. The garage was a third party who were recommended by Tesla and who already had experience with the MS. They told me that the underbody shielding would take at least 30 minutes to remove, because it is bolted on so well, but "it is way easier than aligning a Roadster!". Luckily, the car was perfectly aligned, so they didn't need to remove anything in the end.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Thought you would never ask.
Not totally enthralled but it was nice and I did nearly end up in back seat when I stepped on it. The need for speed is no longer a necessity for me and having driven an Ampera for 2.5 years I drive slower and happier, but it was a delight to see 170 battery miles available, so maybe my driving style would revert?
I took the opportunity of a test drive really to see what all the fuss was about and ask about infrastructure for my area. They must be mind readers as the plan is to set up distribution etc in Trafford Park 6 miles from my base. (Also said another dealership would be in Knutsford).
Practically speaking the large info screen was not the distraction I thought it would be (unlike the additional cost of the Tech pack to get it) Probably level 4 NVQ to operate it.
The frunk is scary as the Ampera has an engine there and I had to go back several times to check it. Can't wait to watch reaction as I am seen unloading shopping trolley into engine compartment.
Couldn't quite understand the lack of cupboards in the passenger compartment, apart from large glove box, but perhaps I wouldn't need to carry as many cassette tapes or toffee bags.
Tested the customer service ethics and seemed to match up to the hype. Took great pleasure in blocking the only charger from 3 Teslas whilst I managed to get enough range to take a circuitous route home, testing some rural hostelries, all on a completely electric day.
I am now arranging a home visit to test access to my drive which seriously scrapes the skirt on the Ampera, plus my lad needs to see where his inheritance is going.
In fact I have decided to replace the Ampera mid 2016 which is amazingly the same time as the Model X will be available and if I still want to fork out 60K it will probably be on the X.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Tbh, the £600 "inspection" is a joke.

I won't lose any sleep skipping until they reflect the effort required vs the price.

Pads will be from another car (probably
Mercedes) but will last forever due to
regen, and likely be pretty cheap. So this isn't where the value is.

They are playing from a sticky wicket really, as EU rules state any Vat registered garage can do a service , and warranty must be maintained.

They already have all the cars stats from the always on connection, so other than visual inspection of brakes and tyres, and maybe a greasing of hinges\catches they have nothing to do for the £600. Would love to see a checklist of a Tesla service!

·
1,555 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
P
If it's the same as in the US you don't need to have the service done, your warranty is still valid. If you do get it done though you will continue to get software updates and some hardware updates, plus the service cost INCLUDES the parts, ie pads and filters etc.
Pads and filters on an EV? Must be a joke!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts